Bullen in charge for Reading

49 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

What a nonsense point that last one is. What is the club supposed to do ? Put out a statement saying they want a manager who is 6 foot 1, blue eyes and likes horse riding and long country walks and a bit of S&M at the weekends ?

you can’t say you want a ‘ British ‘ manager for all sorts of valid reasons. Nor would saying that you want ‘ championship experience’ be any good as you would rule out guardiola yet rule in terry Yorath. 

More generally some wretched comments on this thread re Bullen. Here is a man who has served the club so well , best of luck to him .

You really are a prize. I am well aware of rules regarding what can and can not be said in adverts for jobs.but it is not unusual for clubs to give an outline of type of manager they are looking for and time scale they are working to or to say how many applications they have received and how many of them are realistic and are working through them. This is good sensible practice and helps keep fan base informed and much happier. To say absolutely nothing is not good. If they said they are looking for a promising manager with understanding and knowledge of British leagues if it would stop some of ridiculous suggestions appearing in press it would be a good thing. There are times when best to say nothing and others where a short statement is good and in manager search it is good time to say something.

11 minutes ago, Quist said:

You really are a prize. I am well aware of rules regarding what can and can not be said in adverts for jobs.but it is not unusual for clubs to give an outline of type of manager they are looking for and time scale they are working to or to say how many applications they have received and how many of them are realistic and are working through them. This is good sensible practice and helps keep fan base informed and much happier. To say absolutely nothing is not good. If they said they are looking for a promising manager with understanding and knowledge of British leagues if it would stop some of ridiculous suggestions appearing in press it would be a good thing. There are times when best to say nothing and others where a short statement is good and in manager search it is good time to say something.

Why rule anything out though ? The club would just set itself up for failure otherwise. If Wayne Rooney applies and interviews amazingly well why not if he interviews well and is qualified. Why rule out a first time English club  coach from overseas when the likes of Norwich, hudds, Leeds, Barnsley have found out that it has worked well.

it just seems bizarre we would put out a statement saying the new manager has to be this or that . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Because nothing I've seen suggests that when times are hard he has the know how to turn them back around

Yes, but he did well turning things around after Jos was shown the door

In fact, were it not for West Brom's injury time equaliser and those half time cups of Horlicks v Brum, we may even have won four from four

That home defeat v Burton will probably haunt him (and us) for a while longer

But he has a better win% from his seven league games in charge than Bruce had from his eighteen

... with weaker squads at his disposal too

14 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

Really depends if our players are behind Bullen or not. Happy squad normally makes for good results. We could immediately get Hughton or someone elseand everyone unsettled so close to season starting.

I think Bullen can do well immediately but perhaps not long term when people start working us out. I think we will have a new boss by end of August, hopefully a good one who can pick up the reins of a strong start. 

I think the squad are happy, but we also don’t want them to be too comfortable. 

10 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Agree with that about Bullen. I think when things are going well he will obviously be great but when things start to go wrong I personally don’t believe he will know what to do. Looking back on previous times when he was caretaker he seemed devastated in his interviews after games. He was almost begging for DC to appoint a new manager. It’s not fair on the club or Bullen, he doesn’t deserve that stress. 

I agree he doesn't I don't know the figures but I suspect he's not on the best wage (for someone in football)  besides appearing to love the club this job is his livelihood and as such losing it will be a proper blow on both fronts - unlike some of these millionaire journeyman managers who have failed  and have had subsequent garden leave payoffs.

Bullen should be looked after imo not shoved in a job he couldn't afford to fail in 

49 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes, but he did well turning things around after Jos was shown the door

In fact, were it not for West Brom's injury time equaliser and those half time cups of Horlicks v Brum, we may even have won four from four

That home defeat v Burton will probably haunt him (and us) for a while longer

But he has a better win% from his seven league games in charge than Bruce had from his eighteen

... with weaker squads at his disposal too

I agree he did well for while, you have that bounce effect..it still didn't change my opinion, feel he comes across far too meek to be a championship manager, I'm sure there is a good manager in him somewhere but after a handful of games in charge that gives him a right to be in contention for league one clubs not a club of our status, I really hope he dose well I am sure we have more than a decent shot at reading we have a very capable squad..it's the hard times I'm concerned about with Bullen

Edited by keepitsteel89

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Why rule anything out though ? The club would just set itself up for failure otherwise. If Wayne Rooney applies and interviews amazingly well why not if he interviews well and is qualified. Why rule out a first time English club  coach from overseas when the likes of Norwich, hudds, Leeds, Barnsley have found out that it has worked well.

it just seems bizarre we would put out a statement saying the new manager has to be this or that . 

They could make a statement which would only rule out those with no experience. The four you quote are interesting. All were involved with Northern European clubs, which makes sense if bringing somebody into championship. Bielsa had a world renowned reputation although one for being eccentric. Wagner was Klopps assistant and had excellent reputation as coach. Farkel was brought in by same guy who identified Wagner and again he had good reputation prior to joining Norwich. Stendel is interesting one looks to have not much experience as manager but his time in charge showed over 50% win ration in games he was in charge of. He was only one who you would say carried higher risk than normal appointment. To appoint somebody who has not worked in years or has not much background in English leagues carries higher risk. If they have excellent record in Northern European league they stand a chance and three of these are young hungry managers. I think saying somebody with a proven track record in a highly competitive league would not go amiss. We have been linked with a lot of aging no hopers looking for one last pay day if statement removed them from equation I would be happy.

I don't think it's the end of the world.

Yes i'm frustrated that we don't have an experienced manager in place for the start of the season, but at the same time I don't want DC to rush it for the sake of one to three games which we are more than capable of winning under Bullen. Bullen's remark last night about how the recruitment team are steaming ahead was also encouraging. 

1 minute ago, modboy said:

I don't like the idea of us buying players without the new managers input, seems a ridiculous tactic 

At any other time i'd probably agree. But we only have a few weeks of the window left and the recruitment strategy of the club shouldn't grind to a holt when we sack a manager. Modern clubs have a strategy that transcends managerial changes e.g. Brentford. 

12 minutes ago, modboy said:

I don't like the idea of us buying players without the new managers input, seems a ridiculous tactic 

Absolutely agree, but we need players as much as we need a new manager. It's an unfortunate situation. 

Just now, striker said:

Absolutely agree, but we need players as much as we need a new manager. It's an unfortunate situation. 

Can't help but feel we could and should have appointed Monk/Rowett (or even Bullen) the day after Bruce left to have given them three weeks to come up with a plan 

Just now, modboy said:

Can't help but feel we could and should have appointed Monk/Rowett (or even Bullen) the day after Bruce left to have given them three weeks to come up with a plan 

Indeed, no doubt Bruce left is in the poo, but the fact we're starting the season without a manager and with unfinished recruitment business is on us.

I'm genuinely surprised we've taken so long. I get that it's an important appointment, but expected more urgency.  

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Many of our fans were in agreement that it was for the best that Bruce came in and had more control of transfers. Now he has gone we are going back to letting someone other than the manager decide transfers? 

I would rather the new manager had the chance to be involved in this.

Bruce was allowed to hire a whole new recruitment team and a new Head of Sports Science and they're all still in place.  Thats a better infrastructure than we've had for years so I think the position of manager is less important than it was and a head coach will do. 

Edited by beloved_aunt

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Indeed, no doubt Bruce left is in the poo, but the fact we're starting the season without a manager and with unfinished recruitment business is on us.

I'm genuinely surprised we've taken so long. I get that it's an important appointment, but expected more urgency.  

Think we have to also factor in that there may be legal issues bubbling away in the background that has prevented us from making a snap appointment.