Ben Marshall

15 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I think everybody with a pair of football boots are 'a low risk signing if it comes off'.

it's the IF that makes all the difference.

as I say i'd like better, you wouldn't, so be it.

Of course I’d like better but we have had to do some creative accounting to avoid sanctions and to come out of the embargo. 

Current rules prohibit us from spending what we want so as much as I’d like a Harvey Barnes or Jordan Ibe, it’s just not possible. 

5 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Strange isn't it. Our fans saying he's a League 1 player.

The last game he played in L1 was with us 7 years ago!

I thought our fans were saying 'he was' a league one player with us, and hasn't exactly ripped the championship a new un since.

2 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Of course I’d like better but we have had to do some creative accounting to avoid sanctions and to come out of the embargo. 

Current rules prohibit us from spending what we want so as much as I’d like a Harvey Barnes or Jordan Ibe, it’s just not possible. 

we may have to buy a winger, we may loan one, nothing is written in stone.

IF we buy I expect us to get a cracker for the money, which is a gamble. 

if we loan I expect us not to be spending much in the way of a fee.

perhaps a good winger is so crucial to our attacking play (as now we'll want to get the ball from the keeper to the forwards in under 'tiptaps' 4 minutes) as we'll need to splash out.

Why didn’t Norwich offer him up as part of deal for Rhodes, strange they’ve just paid him up 

Also I think theres a chance Marshall is someone Bruce might have identified as a low risk freebie

13 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I thought our fans were saying 'he was' a league one player with us, and hasn't exactly ripped the championship a new un since.

Post 11 from Quist and one post stating simply 'horrendous player'???

Never mind though, some thought Harry McGuire wouldn't have been a good signing for us several years ago. Turns like a oil tanker was one quote.

Might be a good punt, depending on wages. Solid Championship player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Post 11 from Quist and one post stating simply 'horrendous player'???

Never mind though, some thought Harry McGuire wouldn't have been a good signing for us several years ago. Turns like a oil tanker was one quote.

Might be a good punt, depending on wages. Solid Championship player.

he isn't a 'horrendous player' but perhaps he isn't the match turning individual he was when he was with us all those years ago.

I haven't seen him ripping sides apart, or in big demand.

McGuire and he are differing players, different scenarios, different levels in their careers, and incompatible.

not sure he's a 'solid championship player' and IF he is, do we not need better than 'solid' if we're going for top 6? 

Just now, dorian gray said:

he isn't a 'horrendous player' but perhaps he isn't the match turning individual he was when he was with us all those years ago.

McGuire and he are differing players, different scenarios, different levels in their careers, and incompatible.

not sure he's a 'solid championship player' and IF he is, do we not need better than 'solid' if we're going for top 6? 

Probably, as he's generally played for middle table Champ teams.

Just saying some OTT reactions, as always when it comes to potential signings. Some realism needed sometimes. Not too bothered either way myself with regards to BM, the Rhodes link up may work.

8 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Probably, as he's generally played for middle table Champ teams.

Just saying some OTT reactions, as always when it comes to potential signings. Some realism needed sometimes. Not too bothered either way myself with regards to BM, the Rhodes link up may work.

you likely need to draw up a list of people whose posts aren't worth rising to, a bit of shooting from the hip from some, then you'll know you're wasting your time debating with them.

hark at me offering you advice on something I ought to do myself, but don't.

football fans come in all shapes and sizes (brain sizes too). lol

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

Not sure he would need to tear it up each week. I think we have a fair few match winners but have lacked width and a decent delivery especially since Wallace lost his mojo. So in terms of improving the team and addressing an area we are lacking it makes sense, especially on a free in a mad market. There are some bargains out there like Iorfa was.

If we saved cash for Hector and a physical midfielder plus Marshall and maybe a quick younger attacker on loan then I think we’d have had a decent window. 

Ben Marshall is a decent, experienced, Championship wide player.

Can play on both sides and he's got good delivery.

It would be nice to have a couple of attacking options on the bench and I don't mean strikers.

Normally, your wide players cover the most ground over 90 minutes, therefore having the capability to inject pace and energy for the last 20 minutes wins you points.

4 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Makes good business sense, he'd be a Bargain for free. 

Not the quickest, but crosses a ball well and gets up n down the right with a good engine. 

It's not because he was fantastic on loan for us years ago, more because he's a good championship player, that can improve us. 

Agree completely with this. 

Would be a good signing for us on a free.

Problem is that a fair few on here are still waiting to what happens with Gareth Bale before deciding if it's worth a punt.

• Haha 3