Bury cup game in doubt

9 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Really?  Macclesfield, Notts County, Bury, Oldham and until recently Blackpool have been facing court action. Not to mention the Bolton fiasco where players have gone unpaid for 5 months. Other clubs such as Sunderland, Hull, Charlton and Newcastle have chairmen that the supporters can't wait to ditch.

DC might not be perfect but he pays the bills and I believe has the best interests of the club at heart.  

Agree entirely.  The general feeling amongst hull fans is that the allams only interest in the club is to enlarge their bank balance.  No one could accuse chansiri of this; indeed it might be said he has invested way above and beyond what we might realistically expect.

3 hours ago, bobness said:

Surely you understand there's a difference between stability and growth. 

Funny you should bring up £5m in losses, because we've been losing more than that under DC...

speculate to accumulate, it very nearly worked, twice, closer than we have got before since being relegated from the promised land at the turn of the century.

Milan wasn't putting money in and wasn't looking to take us to the next level. We were treading water by doing the minimum needed to keep going at this level. It was fairly obvious that Milan bought us at a desperate time and saw a way of making a profit from that a few years down the line. To be fair he didn't disguise this and had he not stepped in at that time who knows where we would be now, he certainly gave us what we needed at a time when plenty of chancers talked the talk but never looked like walking the walk. However, if he had not sold us and was still in charge today there would have been a good chance we would have been relegated at some point in the past 4 seasons.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

speculate to accumulate, it very nearly worked, twice, closer than we have got before since being relegated from the promised land at the turn of the century.

Milan wasn't putting money in and wasn't looking to take us to the next level. We were treading water by doing the minimum needed to keep going at this level. It was fairly obvious that Milan bought us at a desperate time and saw a way of making a profit from that a few years down the line. To be fair he didn't disguise this and had he not stepped in at that time who knows where we would be now, he certainly gave us what we needed at a time when plenty of chancers talked the talk but never looked like walking the walk. However, if he had not sold us and was still in charge today there would have been a good chance we would have been relegated at some point in the past 4 seasons.

That is a very good summary of situation, Mandaric was in it for a profit and proved more difficult than he thought has Championship stakes had been upped considerably. We had negative investment in club last two years when you look at wages he and CEO took from club. Gray did a remarkable job keeping us where he did and does not get credit he deserved

11 hours ago, bobness said:

So you think we would've gone insolvent under Milan's watch. Righto

We probably would have been relegated if he had not sold us. We were run on a shoe string budget and had no long term future.

• Like 2

Those asking why PFA lend money to Bolton to pay wages, but not Bury.

Ive not looked into the details, but the PFA has a responsibility to look after the money of its members. It can't just go throwing it away on lost causes. My guess is that the likelihood of Bolton's potential new owners actually taking over and repaying the loans is quite high, whereas for Bury, it's highly unlikely the PFA will see its money again. 

The PFA may have a hardship fund through which unpaid players at Bury or elsewhere could get financial assistance, but that would be separate to a short term loan to the club.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

We probably would have been relegated if he had not sold us. We were run on a shoe string budget and had no long term future.

I tend to agree with this. 

I liked Milan as an owner, but it was pretty apparent he was desperate to offload us in his last couple of seasons. 

It was a case of trying to keep our head above water before he sold us onto someone. 

We muddled through with milan, football had moved on since his pompy days. We at least still had a club to support. 

The vast amount of money at the top, is killing the game lower down as people gamble. 

We are very much suffering the same fate, in the sense that we are handicapped by not being allowed to spend and not trading players. Well I suspect its that combination. 

Sad fact being, without promotion or a few player sales, what are the odds that we might be back to embargogedden this time next year. 

14 hours ago, bobness said:

So you think we would've gone insolvent under Milan's watch. Righto

We were nothing more than a needs to a huge profit. He openly stated that he wouldn't invest and was looking to sell. Milan deserves the plaudits but he also sold our best player at the time Antonio and replaced him with Stevie May. Lets get things in perspective here.

4 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

There was always the chance under Milan (and Gray) that we could have done what Cardiff did and shocked our way to promotion.

The same Cardiff that blew £6M on a striker to bolster their promotion bid?

It would have been a shock if we had spent anything on a player and was more likely we would get out of the Championship at the other end under MM. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I tend to agree with this. 

I liked Milan as an owner, but it was pretty apparent he was desperate to offload us in his last couple of seasons. 

It was a case of trying to keep our head above water before he sold us onto someone. 

meaning anyone with the cash despite what was said 

what else explains mammadov and the EU gangsters he allegedly went to see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

We were nothing more than a needs to a huge profit. He openly stated that he wouldn't invest and was looking to sell. Milan deserves the plaudits but he also sold our best player at the time Antonio and replaced him with Stevie May. Lets get things in perspective here.

Milan brought stabilIty to the club, that doesn't suggest he was the way forward... and if the club was a means to a profit, would Milan let the club collapse so he ends up with nothing?

5 hours ago, Quist said:

We may have. Clubs get relegated every year. There's a big difference between relegation and insolvency. 

I never stated Milan was the man to take the club forward, just that he brought some financial stability. The entire crux of the comment was that under Milan's watch we wouldn't have turned into a Bury. Do you disagree with that?

19 minutes ago, bobness said:

We may have. Clubs get relegated every year. There's a big difference between relegation and insolvency. 

I never stated Milan was the man to take the club forward, just that he brought some financial stability. The entire crux of the comment was that under Milan's watch we wouldn't have turned into a Bury. Do you disagree with that?

He bought us to make money and thought he could get us into PL but situation had changed dramatically. He thought could sell stadium and make money moving grounds was not possible. At that point put no money and took wage had loans on club to minimise his involvement. He brought in Doyen and other agents to help find owner he wanted out. I think he was always going to sell which he did. If we started to lose money hand over fist I think he would have pulled plug but was probably too smart to get to that satge as he would have got out before that stage. So it would not have happened with him at helm but he may have offloaded us in a tricky position.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

He bought us to make money and thought he could get us into PL but situation had changed dramatically. He thought could sell stadium and make money moving grounds was not possible. At that point put no money and took wage had loans on club to minimise his involvement. He brought in Doyen and other agents to help find owner he wanted out. I think he was always going to sell which he did. If we started to lose money hand over fist I think he would have pulled plug but was probably too smart to get to that satge as he would have got out before that stage. So it would not have happened with him at helm but he may have offloaded us in a tricky position.

So under Milan's watch we still would've been a sellable asset, even if not a particularly attractive one. Got it.

HZFPHdR.gif?noredirect