Bury cup game in doubt

The EFL's stance with Bury is fair enough, they can't prove that they can even finish the season, they are claiming they can get a loan to see themselves through which only puts them in a worse position this time next year. The EFL sanctions them to play and in a months time they can't afford to pay players again it'll be ridiculous. They've been run into the ground by dodgy ownership and if they get out of this situation I'd be shocked.

Really sad to see this. BUT the EFL and the FA sky et al should all be taking a long hard look in the mirror. The authorities are supposed to ensure owners are fit and proper and have the finances to fund the club. Well it looks like they’ve been failing miserably. 

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

P&S and Fit and Proper Owner test working a treat for Bury and Bolton it would seem!!

It's tough call for them ,the bloke buying the club may have good intentions for the club but isn't any good at running football club and you don't know that until it's too late .....look how much money we lose every week but I wouldnt say that chansiri isn't  fit and proper to run the club ....

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

It's tough call for them ,the bloke buying the club may have good intentions for the club but isn't any good at running football club and you don't know that until it's too late .....look how much money we lose every week but I wouldnt say that chansiri isn't  fit and proper to run the club ....

True, though he did take over the club without proper due diligence - I'd have thought that would be a basic requirement under the League's Fit & Proper review.

Mr Chansiri seems to have known what he was buying in to and clearly has the funds to support the club; sure that will have been a good start to passing the test.

Sounds like this Bury guy also doesn't have much of a pot to p*ss in either.

Wonder what the Fit & Proper test actually covers - wonder if it's just around criminal activity (former Leeds guy getting suspended for tax fraud or whatever it was for example)...

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

They are looking at situation from wrong perspective. 

They have recently agreed for those towards top of PL to receive more money. Thus making imbalance greater. Government needs to step in and award more money to teams in Championship, League 1 and 2. You could remove £400m  without any problem. Basically reducing parachute payments. You could distribute in a tiered approach say £8m to Championship clubs each, $5 million to league 1 and £4 million to league 2. It would relieve a lot of pressure on many clubs. It would also take some of financial heat out of Championship.

34 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

P&S and Fit and Proper Owner test working a treat for Bury and Bolton it would seem!!

I may be mistaken but I think Bolton ran up all their debts whilst in the Premier League. makes it even more ridiculous given the level of income they would have been receiving during their epriod in the top flight.

Not sure how you set up a stringent fit & proper person test. Can only really exclude someone with criminal convictions or for having no money. Not sure you can exlcude someone because you don't like the look of them. Would be sued left, right & centre.

25 minutes ago, Brommers said:

I may be mistaken but I think Bolton ran up all their debts whilst in the Premier League. makes it even more ridiculous given the level of income they would have been receiving during their epriod in the top flight.

Not sure how you set up a stringent fit & proper person test. Can only really exclude someone with criminal convictions or for having no money. Not sure you can exlcude someone because you don't like the look of them. Would be sued left, right & centre.

Looks like their Premier League debt was written off buy one of their previous owners mate:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/12014502/Bolton-Wanderers-confirm-Eddie-Davies-will-gift-club-185m-in-effort-to-speed-up-sale-of-Championship-side.html

Wonder how they are in such a mess after £185m being written off (assuming that actually happened)?!

You're eight about Fit & Proper, it's probably about as stringent as a mortgage application or something - as you say, what else can the League look in to?

1 hour ago, Quist said:

They have recently agreed for those towards top of PL to receive more money. Thus making imbalance greater. Government needs to step in and award more money to teams in Championship, League 1 and 2. You could remove £400m  without any problem. Basically reducing parachute payments. You could distribute in a tiered approach say £8m to Championship clubs each, $5 million to league 1 and £4 million to league 2. It would relieve a lot of pressure on many clubs. It would also take some of financial heat out of Championship.

I think boris as enough on his plate without taking on the premier league …..i'm no politico but can the government say to the prem clubs you have to give 400 million to other clubs who are trying to take your place in the prem ?...I suspect not  

2 hours ago, Quist said:

Governments, and politics, should stay as far away from football as possible.

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think boris as enough on his plate without taking on the premier league …..i'm no politico but can the government say to the prem clubs you have to give 400 million to other clubs who are trying to take your place in the prem ?...I suspect not  

Preservation order