Chris Hughton

Well he’s had an excellent record

Chris Hughton was most recently the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion.

Hughton is a vastly experienced coach and holds the Uefa Pro-Licence.  From June 1993 to October 2007 he coached the first team at Tottenham Hotspur working closely with managers of the highest calibre including George Graham, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat and Martin Jol. During this period he also served as caretaker manager on two separate occasions and assisted Brian Kerr with the Republic of Ireland national team.

Hughton's inaugural managerial position was at Newcastle United where he guided the club to the Barclays Premier League. His appointment at St James' Park followed a successful spell as caretaker when, from the start of the 2009/10 season, he led Newcastle to the top of the Championship winning the manager of the month awards for August and September. He initially joined the Magpies in February 2008 as coach under Kevin Keegan.

After being appointed manager on a permanent basis, Hughton would go on to enjoy greater success, by lifting the Championship league title and securing the club's promotion to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

Hughton's league start to his managerial career was the best in Newcastle's history, with the team losing just one match league in season 09/10, after he was declared manager in October 2009.

They clinched promotion on April 5, 2010 after beating Sheffield United 2-1 at St James' Park. Newcastle were crowned champions after their 2-0 win at Plymouth on April 19, 2010. Hughton was then named Championship Manager of the Year in recognition of his achievements. At the end of the 2009/10 season Kick It Out, football's equality and inclusion campaign, also honoured Hughton for his exceptional season at Newcastle.

Despite a positive start to the 2010/11 season, Newcastle parted company with Hughton with the club placed 11th in the Barclays Premier League table.

He later enjoyed an excellent season in charge at St Andrews where he guided the Blues to a fourth place finish in the npower Championship. In a mammoth season, with Birmingham playing over 60 matches as a result the club's first European campaign for 50 years, Hughton won the manager of the month award on two occasions. Eventually, Birmingham narrowly missed out on a place at Wembley to Blackpool in the play-off semi-final.

He then moved to Norwich and in his first campaign in charge at Carrow Road, he guided them to an 11th place finish to improve on their position in their second season back in the Barclays Premier League.

As a player Hughton was capped 53 times for the Republic of Ireland and spent 11 years with Tottenham Hotspur from 1979-1990, before short spells at West Ham and Brentford. He played for the Republic of Ireland in Euro 1988 in West Germany. He was part of the Tottenham side that won the FA Cup in 1981 and 1982, and the UEFA Cup in 1984.

Chris is a member of the LMA Executive Board and he is also a graduate of the LMA's Certificate of Applied Management at Warwick University.

On 26/07/2019 at 17:26, fred mciver said:

No , let's not go cheap again (Jos).

Now embargo gone, offer Hughton decent dosh and transfer budget and let's get trading.

According to chansiri Jos was more expensive than Carlos 

6 minutes ago, September65 said:

Hughton is the best candidate.  Offer him what Bruce was on.  Tell him he can trade and spend a bit. Get him in.  Trust him.  He knows how to get promoted out of this league. And let's have a right crack at it this season.

Not sure that's the best way to go

He was rumoured to be on half a million at Brighton

I'd offer him 750K with a million pound bonus if he takes us up

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

OK, my point being, don't lose him because you can't offer him enough.

1 minute ago, September65 said:

OK, my point being, don't lose him because you can't offer him enough.

Pretty sure he will be offered more than he was on at Brighton, and with a big bonus too

If he turns it down, pretty sure Mr C will ask what deal he is looking for and they'll meet somewhere in the middle

5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Everyone knew what Bruce was on when we signed him, it was national news he was £2 million a year

Hughton has had a promotion and kept a Brighton in the Prem since Bruce last had a promotion.

If I was Hughton I'd know my worth and wouldn't accept less than what Bruce was on here, no matter what I was on at Brighton.

He'll know how much he's worth to us

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

Everyone knew what Bruce was on when we signed him, it was national news he was £2 million a year

Hughton has had a promotion and kept a Brighton in the Prem since Bruce last had a promotion.

If I was Hughton I'd know my worth and wouldn't accept less than what Bruce was on here, no matter what I was on at Brighton.

He'll know how much he's worth to us

If I was Hughton I'd want 2 million a year

If I was Chansiri I'd want to see if I can get him cheaper with the offer of a big bonus on promotion

We'll see what happens