Looks like rowett

If Rowett had come here after the Derby job we’d have welcomed him with open arms. Sometimes things don’t work out for a manager at a club, Rowetts young enough to have learnt a few lessons from his time at Stoke & to dismiss him because of a single blemish on his record seems a little churlish to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I heard him explaining how...

• Wednesday's wide midfielders were very good at moving inside, which coupled with pushing our full-backs very high, outnumbered Birmingham's three midfielders despite us appearing to be lined up as a 4-4-2.
  • He used Davies as a right midfielder as he wasn't sure whether they'd need three central midfielders or could play with a number 10.  
  • After about twenty minutes, he ditched the number 10, pushed Adams out to the right, and moved Davies into the middle so that they had the option of playing two sitting midfielders or using Kieftenbeld to screen the centre backs whilst pushing the other two further forward in order to press Wednesday higher up the pitch. 
  • From 25 mins on, he felt this tactical switch helped Birmingham to grow into the game, and the second half performance was much stronger. 
  • He gambled late on in the game, bringing on Brown to sit in front of the back four with instructions to get on the ball as much as possible, in order to take advantage of his talent on the ball.
  • He moved Stewart and Maghoma inside, which gave Birmingham six attacking players on the pitch, who he allowed to play with a lot of freedom.
  • Stewart and Maghoma combined for their second goal, with Stewart's run dragging Bannan out of position, which created space for Maghoma to deliver the assist for the winning goal.

For some reason, you're hearing what you want to hear and you're misrepresenting what he said. 

Maybe I am..

"He used Davies as a right midfielder as he wasn't sure whether they'd need three central midfielders or could play with a number 10."

I'm hearing..

"I set up in a way to see what the opponent did during the game instead of having a game plan ahead of time.

How i set up wasn't the best use of my players from the off, but it gave some ability to fix it if it turned out i needed to"

Sounds like the laziest approach to management the world's ever seen.

It's not like we were springing surprises with how we set up that season. We tended to play one way and only one way. So the slightest bit of research of the opponent (us) would have told him what he needed to know. That we'd play narrow and overload the fullbacks when possible. He went into the game thinking 2 centermids would be enough. That's either lazy or stupid on his part.. or both.

So half an hour into the game he noticed what he should have known before kick off and did something to change it. I guess some credit.. but tempered by the fact that he should have known before the game started!

re: the last 3 points.. he never says why he went narrow. Going narrow with 5 forward players (excluding brown and he was a deep playmaker) when we're playing 4 narrow mids seems a bizarre decision. It just results in a very packed and slightly chaotic middle of the park. Normally you'd double up in wide areas to exploit the narrow opponent. So bearing in mind they were 5th and we were 14th, his best tactical approach to overcoming us was 'throw men forward and hope'. Great.. that's teh kind of genius I want at the helm.

Also, isn't it worth noting that we've justbeen dumped by a guy who lacks any kind of loyalty because he could get a gig at a better paid club.

What's Rowett done thru his entire career?

He dumped Burton for Birmingham.

Dumped Birmingham for Derby.

Dumped Derby for Stoke.

Got found out at Stoke and got fired.

Rid of one snake and you want to hire another.. well, don't be surprised..

9 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Maybe I am..

"He used Davies as a right midfielder as he wasn't sure whether they'd need three central midfielders or could play with a number 10."

I'm hearing..

"I set up in a way to see what the opponent did during the game instead of having a game plan ahead of time.

How i set up wasn't the best use of my players from the off, but it gave some ability to fix it if it turned out i needed to"

It's not like we were springing surprises with how we set up that season. We tended to play one way and only one way. So the slightest bit of research of the opponent (us) would have told him what he needed to know. That we'd play narrow and overload the fullbacks when possible. He went into the game thinking 2 centermids would be enough. That's either lazy or stupid on his part.. or both.

So half an hour into the game he noticed what he should have known before kick off and did something to change it. I guess some credit.. but tempered by the fact that he should have known before the game started!

re: the last 3 points.. he never says why he went narrow. Going narrow with 5 forward players (excluding brown and he was a deep playmaker) when we're playing 4 narrow mids seems a bizarre decision. It just results in a very packed and slightly chaotic middle of the park. Normally you'd double up in wide areas to exploit the narrow opponent. So bearing in mind they were 5th and we were 14th, his best tactical approach to overcoming us was 'throw men forward and hope'. Great.. that's teh kind of genius I want at the helm.

Also, isn't it worth noting that we've justbeen dumped by a guy who lacks any kind of loyalty because he could get a gig at a better paid club.

Dumped Derby for Stoke.

Any credibility you had in your post evaporated with your claim about how he left Birmingham. Which was public knowledge to anyone who follows football.

8 hours ago, axolotl said:

Just about the best name after Hughton in an uninspiring list. If he’s desperate for the job then Mr C should speak to him. 

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Maybe I am..

I'm hearing..

Dumped Derby for Stoke.

Currently, unless you are Real Madrid or Barcelona, there is always a bigger team. Mr C shouldn’t base his choice on whether a manager will “jump ship”. Let’s just get the best manager we can get at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Maybe I am..

I'm hearing..

Dumped Derby for Stoke.

He was sacked from Birmingham with them 7th in the league - they brought in zola who won 2 out of the next 26 games.

2 minutes ago, ka58 said:

He was sacked from Birmingham with them 7th in the league - they brought in zola who won 2 out of the next 26 games.

What have you seen in the previous round of posts in this thread which would suggest 'cookeh' is going to be persuaded by facts and reason?

:duntmatter:

3 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

If Rowett had come here after the Derby job we’d have welcomed him with open arms. Sometimes things don’t work out for a manager at a club, Rowetts young enough to have learnt a few lessons from his time at Stoke & to dismiss him because of a single blemish on his record seems a little churlish to me.

There’s not many managers who haven’t endured a difficult time through their career. The trick is to to learn from the tough times and use the experience to become a better manager. 

I’m not overly excited at the prospect of Rowett being in charge but he seems keen on the job, he has solid championship experience and given the fact DC likes to support his managers then he could do well here plus his experience at Stoke may make him think twice should he be tempted to move elsewhere?