Embargo statement due soon

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

This site seems to be a fair barometer of Wednesday fans feelings in general. 

Often hear  very similar views expressed by none OT Wedneaday fans.

Neil should be proud of himself. 

No doubt Neil runs a very good site for us to muse things over. Owlstalk doesn't represent a significant percentage of season ticket holders though and many I speak to question why I waste so much time on here and don't hold the views of the site in general in great regard. As you say, it can be reflective of our support as a whole on some issues but not everything. 

The regular posters on here can't come to a consensus on most issues and there's plenty of stuff that leaves many a supporter shaking their head in disbelief. 

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No doubt Neil runs a very good site for us to muse things over. Owlstalk doesn't represent a significant percentage of season ticket holders though and many I speak to question why I waste so much time on here and don't hold the views of the site in general in great regard. As you say, it can be reflective of our support as a whole on some issues but not everything. 

The regular posters on here can't come to a consensus on most issues and there's plenty of stuff that leaves many a supporter shaking their head in disbelief. 

of course, there's some right dumplings on here, but there's some right dumplings in the support in general (who aren't on here), same as any and every other club in the land no doubt.

I've even met 2 intelligent barnsley fans in my life.

it takes all sorts.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

There is also no getting away from the fact that Rhodes is a goalscorer. Whether he's lost that, who knows, but some of our current strikers have 1) never had it to lose in the first place or 2) been one season wonders, who also haven't done it during their time with us either.

One thing is for certain, if he wasn't as expensive as he was - built on the fact he scored goals a prolific rate for years - we wouldn't be having this discussion. Big price tags come with massive expectations. He's not delivered for us, but IMO he's still the best goalscorer we have at the club.

We only have to look across the city. How bad was Billy Sharp before Chris Wilder came along? 4/5 years of nothing? Overweight, past it, lost his instinct in front of goal. How many goals did he get to fire United to the Premier League last season? How many did he get to fire them to the Championship the season before? Amazing what attack minded managers can get their "past it" strikers doing.

Maybe someone who isn't a negative manager like Karanka, Carvalhal or Luhukay will get the Jordan Rhodes of old back? Maybe not, but at least he's been there and done it - same can't really be said for the striking pool we currently have.

You're welcome to your opinion on what strikers are primarily on the pitch to do. I also prefer my goalkeepers to save shots ahead of pinging 60 yard balls to feet, maybe I'm old school!

I don't think natural goalscorers ever lose it. Players who score because they are super quick often fade away as they lose that extra half a yard but Rhodes never had it in the first place.

It's about knowing when to move, where to move, how to get infront of the defender or slip him and get into space. You don't lose that it's in there. It can be trained but the naturals know it.

The other thing is a partner who knows the strikers game is essential. That's someone who knows when he will run and where, who will pull defenders away to make space. That to my mind is what Rhodes doesn't have at present. Hooper has the brains to be that foil but he's gone and Rhodes prefers someone who is a big unit. Hopefully Fletcher or Nuhiu can build up an understanding with Rhodes if he stays. I'm torn between wanting him to stay and thinking we might be better off saving his wages and getting some money for him to help with P & S.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

100% This!

I’m lucky enough to have both home & away season tickets and my matchday & OT experience are poles apart!

There is a clearly defined presumption amongst the people I speak to home & away that OT has a sort of 5th columnist, anti club agenda and is actually riddled with undercover pigs.

I actually find myself defending OT and encourage others to have a look, contribute & change from within!

I personally find OT

amusing/ informative/infuriating in equal measure lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, prowl said:

I don't think natural goalscorers ever lose it. Players who score because they are super quick often fade away as they lose that extra half a yard but Rhodes never had it in the first place.

It's about knowing when to move, where to move, how to get infront of the defender or slip him and get into space. You don't lose that it's in there. It can be trained but the naturals know it.

The other thing is a partner who knows the strikers game is essential. That's someone who knows when he will run and where, who will pull defenders away to make space. That to my mind is what Rhodes doesn't have at present. Hooper has the brains to be that foil but he's gone and Rhodes prefers someone who is a big unit. Hopefully Fletcher or Nuhiu can build up an understanding with Rhodes if he stays. I'm torn between wanting him to stay and thinking we might be better off saving his wages and getting some money for him to help with P & S.

it helps one hell of a lot if you got someone who knows what he's doing 'loading' for you.

weight and quality of ball are essential, that's why bannan should be moved forward from 'quarterback' into a position to play a 'killer' ball. 

we can get the ball from keeper and backline to m/f without him dropping so deep, stop ****ing about with it, get it forward and let bannan supply our forwards in a style less than the old used '3 minute warning' routine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, prowl said:

I agree with this 100%.  My only problem with Hooper and his comments on twitter did nothing to dispel that, was that he was a billy big b###ocks.  I don't think he had the work ethic to go alongside his undoubted ability.  Don't get me wrong, he knew the dark arts of being a forward (JT on his harris springs to mind), but I don't think he would run himself into the ground.  Fletcher on the other hand and Nuhiu to a degree (and don't forget Hooper said he loved playing up top with Nuhiu), will run themselves to a stop and create space for others.  It already looks promising between Rhodes and Fletcher, in the same way it did with Hooper and Fletcher.  The difference this time is the supply is going to be better in my opinion.

The one thing that gives me encouragement this year is that there are options.

Whoever the next manager is, if they get the balance of the team right, we have a very good squad.  And...as much as it pains me to say it, Old Cabbage features left us in a damn sight better position than before he arrived.  We have a little pace throughout now in Iorfa, Odubajo, Harris, Joao.  We still have intelligent players in Bannan, Fletcher, Lee, Reach.  We have an exciting option in FF to slot in where we can, when needed.  Like every team though, we are looking for someone to make an unexpected contribution (like Pukki last year).  Whether that be Rhodes, or FF finding form again, or Harris tearing full backs a new one, every successful team usually has one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

100% This!

I’m lucky enough to have both home & away season tickets and my matchday & OT experience are poles apart!

There is a clearly defined presumption amongst the people I speak to home & away that OT has a sort of 5th columnist, anti club agenda and is actually riddled with undercover pigs.

I actually find myself defending OT and encourage others to have a look, contribute & change from within!

I personally find OT

amusing/ informative/infuriating in equal measure lol

That's what most of my mates think as well...I think that the same group of people seem to be the ones who continually post negative stuff about the club that enforces this myth about blades on the site...I'm not so sure. I think this site gives them some sort of kudos and once their views are aired they can't back down. Pathetic really when your self esteem is dependent on a football site...but, after Tonto, I'm not that surprised

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

That's what most of my mates think as well...I think that the same group of people seem to be the ones who continually post negative stuff about the club that enforces this myth about blades on the site...I'm not so sure. I think this site gives them some sort of kudos and once their views are aired they can't back down. Pathetic really when your self esteem is dependent on a football site...but, after Tonto, I'm not that surprised

It seems to have calmed down a little in the last 12 months.

Previously the sheer volume of venomous anti club/Chairman posts from the same group of posters made you wonder if this was even a site that the rank & file Wednesdayites could relate to?

Even now it’s viewed with a great deal of suspicion!

• Haha 1

Embargo or not it’s unlikely we will sign anyone until a new manager is in place. When the new manager arrives it will likely be loans given the short amount of time left in the transfer window so hopefully whoever we employ will have a few decent contacts in the game.

4 hours ago, prowl said:

Is Lee signing officially a sign that the embargo has been lifted or just that they've agreed he can sign?

No DC read owlstalk and thought oh no ....best get Lee announced to stop a Sxxx Storm Friday :biggrin:

Edited by S25OWL

22 minutes ago, wmb said:

Embargo or not it’s unlikely we will sign anyone until a new manager is in place. When the new manager arrives it will likely be loans given the short amount of time left in the transfer window so hopefully whoever we employ will have a few decent contacts in the game.

True, although it wouldn't surprise me if a new manager said he needs time to assess the squad & will work with what he's got until January.

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

True, although it wouldn't surprise me if a new manager said he needs time to assess the squad & will work with what he's got until January.

Very possible that this would be the case. It’s a crap position to be in but we’ve got to play the hand we are dealt however crap it may be.