Embargo statement due soon

8 hours ago, pioowl said:

Yes I think its true he bought Rhodes to please the overwhelming number of "fans " on here pleading for him to do so thinking his signature would ensure promotion. Most of them would now say "well I wasn't 1 of them" .Its so easy to criticise with hindsight.He probably wont take any notice of the idiots on here again and I for 1 don't blame him.

DC did infer that he bought Rhodes based at least in some way, on the opinion of the fans. To say he did so to please the overwhelming majority on here is a bit much though isn't it? 

We have around 20,000 season ticket holders. I know Owlstalk has thousands of members WTF: but how many actually post regularly and how many of those go to game regularly?

I think you may overestimate the power of this site (sorry Neil)

PS: I was definitely one of those that was concerned that we should prioritise other areas of the team rather than blow our budget on Rhodes and that was before hindsight came into play! lol

19 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Really? :ohmy:

Rhodes is a limited player who people tend to forgive for these drawbacks because he usually scored plenty of goals (a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it for my liking, but there you go). Yet the one-trick pony forgot what his trick was. All our other strikers (even the much maligned Nuhiu) have scored at a better rate since he arrived at the club whilst still contributing all those elements that Rhodes doesn't. Of the 6 forwards at the club, he firmly ranks bottom for his achievements and performances in those two and a half years. No contest. 

Rhodes scores goals, that's the main objective of a striker for me. Rhodes is the best goalscorer at the club. Sure, he's looked shot of confidence since the day he moved to Boro and was played as a loan striker, and both the player and the club have to work to get him back to what he was. It was pretty telling that the only striker we could get off the books last season was Rhodes - to the Champions; I don't recall them coming in with a £2m loan offer for Nuhiu or any other of our forwards.

Personally, I wouldn't judge any Wednesday player who suffered the last 15 months under Carlos and the horror show under Jos.

4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Rhodes scores goals, that's the main objective of a striker for me. Rhodes is the best goalscorer at the club. Sure, he's looked shot of confidence since the day he moved to Boro and was played as a loan striker, and both the player and the club have to work to get him back to what he was. It was pretty telling that the only striker we could get off the books last season was Rhodes - to the Champions; I don't recall them coming in with a £2m loan offer for Nuhiu or any other of our forwards.

Personally, I wouldn't judge any Wednesday player who suffered the last 15 months under Carlos and the horror show under Jos.

He may have been the best goal scorer at other clubs, but he hasn't been at this club.

4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I can't think of any other player who has had so many excuses made for them for so long. You have to go back almost 4 years to find a time when he was scoring at the rate that built his reputation. Even his time at Blackburn ended with a whimper (17+1 appearances, 4 goals). There is no getting away from the fact that the ONE thing he supposedly guaranteed, he has simply not done. Yet all the other strikers we had, even those mocked for the lack of that element to their game, have outperformed him clearly. And they have done this whilst between them also offering the bonus of continuing to provide all those aspects of the game that Rhodes never really has.

As for scoring being the main objective of a striker - I've always found that a rather unsophisticated viewpoint. No one judges defenders similarly by the number of clearances or tackles they make. Keeping goals out is a team effort; as it is at the other end. Someone ought to tell Arsenal fans that the man they voted their second best player EVER was actually a failure because his goalscoring rate was poor for someone of such status. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I can't think of any other player who has had so many excuses made for them for so long. You have to go back almost 4 years to find a time when he was scoring at the rate that built his reputation. Even his time at Blackburn ended with a whimper (17+1 appearances, 4 goals). There is no getting away from the fact that the ONE thing he supposedly guaranteed, he has simply not done. Yet all the other strikers we had, even those mocked for the lack of that element to their game, have outperformed him clearly. And they have done this whilst between them also offering the bonus of continuing to provide all those aspects of the game that Rhodes never really has.

As for scoring being the main objective of a striker - I've always found that a rather unsophisticated viewpoint. No one judges defenders similarly by the number of clearances or tackles they make. Keeping goals out is a team effort; as it is at the other end. Someone ought to tell Arsenal fans that the man they voted their second best player EVER was actually a failure because his goalscoring rate was poor for someone of such status. 

There is also no getting away from the fact that Rhodes is a goalscorer. Whether he's lost that, who knows, but some of our current strikers have 1) never had it to lose in the first place or 2) been one season wonders, who also haven't done it during their time with us either.

One thing is for certain, if he wasn't as expensive as he was - built on the fact he scored goals a prolific rate for years - we wouldn't be having this discussion. Big price tags come with massive expectations. He's not delivered for us, but IMO he's still the best goalscorer we have at the club.

We only have to look across the city. How bad was Billy Sharp before Chris Wilder came along? 4/5 years of nothing? Overweight, past it, lost his instinct in front of goal. How many goals did he get to fire United to the Premier League last season? How many did he get to fire them to the Championship the season before? Amazing what attack minded managers can get their "past it" strikers doing.

Maybe someone who isn't a negative manager like Karanka, Carvalhal or Luhukay will get the Jordan Rhodes of old back? Maybe not, but at least he's been there and done it - same can't really be said for the striking pool we currently have.

You're welcome to your opinion on what strikers are primarily on the pitch to do. I also prefer my goalkeepers to save shots ahead of pinging 60 yard balls to feet, maybe I'm old school!

4 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Would you prefer a seemingly endless "soft embargo" that makes it impossible to compete? We're stuffed till January at least by the look of it.

Did we compete the last six months of last season?

Would you prefer a seemingly endless "soft embargo" that makes it impossible to compete? We're stuffed till January at least by the look of it.

Unfortunately we haven’t got a manager at the the moment that should be the priority 

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

DC did infer that he bought Rhodes based at least in some way, on the opinion of the fans. To say he did so to please the overwhelming majority on here is a bit much though isn't it? 

We have around 20,000 season ticket holders. I know Owlstalk has thousands of members WTF: but how many actually post regularly and how many of those go to game regularly?

PS: I was definitely one of those that was concerned that we should prioritise other areas of the team rather than blow our budget on Rhodes and that was before hindsight came into play! lolI think 

This site seems to be a fair barometer of Wednesday fans feelings in general. 

Often hear  very similar views expressed by none OT Wedneaday fans.

Neil should be proud of himself. 

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Did we compete the last six months of last season?

2 more injury prone loans and a 250K splashout on Iorfa?, after we probably begged the EFL to allow us to buy him. 

By the way we had a good run under Bullen/ the Sneaky Steves and fell apart at the end of the season.

2 more injury prone loans and a 250K splashout on Iorfa?, after we probably begged the EFL to allow us to buy him. 

By the way we had a good run under Bullen/ the Sneaky Steves and fell apart at the end of the season.

The Chelsea cup tie money probably covered big Dom's transfer fee 

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

PS: I was definitely one of those that was concerned that we should prioritise other areas of the team rather than blow our budget on Rhodes and that was before hindsight came into play! lol

Absolute madness to say the fans wanted Rhodes. How did the club get to this conclusion? What research did they do. I can’t remember filling out a questionnaire or taking part in a focus group.

Just because Jon from Pitsmoor sends a tweet to the Wednesday Twitter account saying ‘get Rhodes in’ doesn’t mean you should splash 10m on him or whatever the figure was.

Edited by SallyCinnamon