Embargo statement due soon

51 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The same man who spent something like £7m on a striker when we already had 6 with vast experience at this level between them, for a team that didn't suit his limited game and knowing we were about to rocket through the ceiling of our permitted spending limits?

To be fair, he's better than 4 of them at least (and one of them is no longer here (Hooper) and the other isn't really a striker (Forestieri)) and the aim has to be to continue to improve your squad of players.

We bought an expensive player with a proven track record, but sadly it didn't work. That's football.

Also worth noting we've recouped £2m in loan fees and saved another £2m in salary costs on Rhodes. So, it's not as bad as people make out.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

35 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

DC bought Rhodes because the fans asked him to. Source: DC

Yes I think its true he bought Rhodes to please the overwhelming number of "fans " on here pleading for him to do so thinking his signature would ensure promotion. Most of them would now say "well I wasn't 1 of them" .Its so easy to criticise with hindsight.He probably wont take any notice of the idiots on here again and I for 1 don't blame him.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

The same man who spent something like £7m on a striker when we already had 6 with vast experience at this level between them, for a team that didn't suit his limited game and knowing we were about to rocket through the ceiling of our permitted spending limits?

It's almost like my comment was tongue in cheek and not remotely serious. Apologies, I should have known that's not appropriate for Owlstalk.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stowyowl said:

It's almost like my comment was tongue in cheek and not remotely serious. Apologies, I should have known that's not appropriate for Owlstalk.

Don't worry dude. It's just DJM, FFS. You'll get used to him when you've been here a while lol 

22 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Spot on here mate, except our defence in Germany didn't look that fresher to me.

If improved, the Fletch / Rhodes axis looks like it could to take us to top 2, with good supply from wings.

But I can't believe EFL will buy that ground 'sale?' value of £60 million , from £23 million (not actually sold yet, nor cash received ).

And that'd be trouble.

Property can be difficult in company accounts. Some revalue property on a regular basis but some companies rarely do. It's not unusual to find companies with a property worth 10's of millions and shown in the books at just a few million.

For DC to sell the property to a related party I'm pretty sure it will have had to have been valued very carefully by a valuer with all the right qualifications and the accountants should have checked it was done properly. Audits can be a bit iffy at times but this is a major transaction and they would need to ensure everything was justified just to cover their own backs.

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

To be fair, he's better than 4 of them at least...

Really? :ohmy:

Rhodes is a limited player who people tend to forgive for these drawbacks because he usually scored plenty of goals (a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it for my liking, but there you go). Yet the one-trick pony forgot what his trick was. All our other strikers (even the much maligned Nuhiu) have scored at a better rate since he arrived at the club whilst still contributing all those elements that Rhodes doesn't. Of the 6 forwards at the club, he firmly ranks bottom for his achievements and performances in those two and a half years. No contest. 

1 hour ago, pioowl said:

Yes I think its true he bought Rhodes to please the overwhelming number of "fans " on here pleading for him to do so thinking his signature would ensure promotion. Most of them would now say "well I wasn't 1 of them" .Its so easy to criticise with hindsight.He probably wont take any notice of the idiots on here again and I for 1 don't blame him.

Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of all of them, there’ll be no hiding placelol

21 hours ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

Too right some fans were getting excited as if it was their money making lists of players they wanted to sign. We all got carried away not thinking of the consequences and hoping that the powers that be had a plan

This, but we had been so poor financially for so long that when the Chairman gave the impression that money was no barrier and, if I remember correctly, naively ‘promised ‘ promotion within 2years or words to that effect, us fans wanted to believe him, so it was easy for us all to get carried away.  I think some of the business decisions which have been made have shown a lack of business acumen but IMO the appointment of Bruce at the time was a master stroke, unfortunately for our very generous Chairman, it has now undeservedly bitten him in the bum, although the Bruce episode has probably got the fans on his side and rightly so. However, Mr. C now has another opportunity to prove that he can take us forward from the tricky situation we find ourselves in.

This is not intended as a negative post against the owner or the club but an honest view of how things are and have been. I would so ‘love it’ if we were promoted under Mr C as his genuine generosity deserves it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, owlsite said:

This, but we had been so poor financially for so long that when the Chairman gave the impression that money was no barrier and, if I remember correctly, naively ‘promised ‘ promotion within 2years or words to that effect, us fans wanted to believe him, so it was easy for us all to get carried away.  I think some of the business decisions which have been made have shown a lack of business acumen but IMO the appointment of Bruce at the time was a master stroke, unfortunately for our very generous Chairman, it has now undeservedly bitten him in the bum, although the Bruce episode has probably got the fans on his side and rightly so. However, Mr. C now has another opportunity to prove that he can take us forward from the tricky situation we find ourselves in.

This is not intended as a negative post against the owner or the club but an honest view of how things are and have been. I would so ‘love it’ if we were promoted under Mr C as his genuine generosity deserves it.

Tbf, the whole promotion by our 150th was just an aim. I don't think any sane fan can get too uppity about the fact we fell short. It is football after all.

As for the rest...can't really disagree too much. 

Chansiri has spent pretty much every season since he has been here going on about FFP or P and S. 

Despite that, we have fallen foul of the rules two seasons running and our way of getting around it (assuming the EFL approves) is to sell our ground to a holding company and set up a number of other companies. 

That might be ok in the short term, but what about going forward long term? 

At what point does SWFC start becoming a somewhat sustainable business (in football terms) i.e. selling/buying players at the right time, increasing its commercial revenue and so forth? 

I've always felt Chansiri's heart is in the right place, but unfortunately his head often isn't. TBF the appointment of Bruce, suggested things were going to change. It's a shame that Fat Ashley had to come along and balls it all up. 

22 minutes ago, owlsite said:

My sentiments exactly. He's pumped some serious cash into the club and has had some bad advice on player signings but what Bruce did was unforgivable. The bloke is a mercenary out to make the most money. He won't care if it all goes belly up at Newcastle as he will probably get a big pay off

6 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

My sentiments exactly. He's pumped some serious cash into the club and has had some bad advice on player signings but what Bruce did was unforgivable. The bloke is a mercenary out to make the most money. He won't care if it all goes belly up at Newcastle as he will probably get a big pay off

It really does irk, but it's how football goes. 

You get the sense Chansiri would have pretty much backed Bruce on anything, hence the level of anger as to the manner of his departure. 

Who knows, perhaps this is why we could do with a Director of Football type or someone to handle and oversee the football side of things? Make sure the owner doesn't get taken for a ride by the mercenaries and the parasites? 

Unfortunately, I think two of the three Chansiri has appointed have right royally taken the pi55 out of him (Carlos and Bruce). The other was too flipping useless to do so. 

Edited by SiJ

With us being linked to Coleman I decided to finally watch Sunderland til I die, didn't half make me realise how lucky we are that we're a club on the up compared to where we have been in the past.

The irony of anyone associated with SWFC getting frustrated with the EFL for taking their time in lifting any embargo when we’ve just handed over some fairly questionable accounts over 3 months late! 

Maybe this is their way of teaching us a lesson. 

Guest Ferkorf
1 hour ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

With us being linked to Coleman I decided to finally watch Sunderland til I die, didn't half make me realise how lucky we are that we're a club on the up compared to where we have been in the past.

I loved that series, mainly because I hate sunderland. I loved seeing them suffer it was such a comical documentary.

Its absolutely crazy what goes off behind the scenes.

They filmed last season aswell I cant wait to see the 4-4 with coventry scenes lol

9 minutes ago, lincolnowl said:

The irony of anyone associated with SWFC getting frustrated with the EFL for taking their time in lifting any embargo when we’ve just handed over some fairly questionable accounts over 3 months late! 

Maybe this is their way of teaching us a lesson. 

Fair point. 

The whole system though isn't fit for purpose.