Rhodes... what’s the plan ?

8 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

We can, but 2 from Pelupessy, Bannan and Lee would be far too lightweight as a central 2 in the Championship.

I think, if it were a 2 in the middle, Bannan also becomes a liability. He can be a real catalyst for us in midfield, but he will never fit in a 2 man midfield

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We’d have the slowest front pairing in the league, if we persist with him and Fletcher. It might work against the likes of Northampton and Lincoln, but we won’t make much headway against the better sides

If the pace comes from out wide and Fletcher and Rhodes bog line, then we are laughing! lol

As for a plan for Jordan Rhodes, this is Sheffield Wednesday - we don't have a plan full stop!

If we can sell 2 of Foresteri,  Winnall and Joao then I’d definitely keep Rhodes. He could have a decent season with better supply playing to his strength. If we can get 5 or 6 million for Winnall & Joao combined or a decent fee for Forestieri (who’ll leave for free next summer) and get them off the wage bill it’d be worth persevering with Rhodes. If we can’t do a deal for those 3 then Rhodes will have to go. We’ve got to do something other wise we’ll be in the exact same situation regarding FFP. 

4 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I wonder if the supposed interest in João has offered us another way to raise some cash this financial year, so potentially less pressure to get rid of Rhodes?

His goal scoring form can now can only Increase the interest in him and potentially increase his value....or help us next season. This may well force Norwich to make a more realistic offer

I'd rather keep someone quick, powerful, tall with a venomous shot from distance vs someone slow, weak, 5 ft 11. 

If they're both going to start from bench (history of Rhodes season and a half with us tells us he won't hold a starting place and probably neither would Joao) I'd rather have someone who can change the game on their own and who will stretch the game vs someone who may be relying on others for a guilt edged chance. 

It's just tactics. 

Rhodes needs chances, Joao can explode one from 25 yards, or cut inside 2 and score. 

20 minutes ago, Night King said:

If we can sell 2 of Foresteri,  Winnall and Joao then I’d definitely keep Rhodes. He could have a decent season with better supply playing to his strength. If we can get 5 or 6 million for Winnall & Joao combined or a decent fee for Forestieri (who’ll leave for free next summer) and get them off the wage bill it’d be worth persevering with Rhodes. If we can’t do a deal for those 3 then Rhodes will have to go. We’ve got to do something other wise we’ll be in the exact same situation regarding FFP. 

Didn't realise FF was out of contract in 12 months time. In that case I would be trying to offload him while we can still get a decent fee.

I do get the impression that he will wind his contract down and walk away as I think he and his agent will be looking to cash in as a free agent.

I dunno whether anyone else is of the same mind, and I respect everyones opinion on Rhodes, FF, fletcher, Joao, Winnal...Nuhiu

but I can't make me mind up...

Apart from maybe Fletcher, I don't entirely trust any of the others...

Nuhiu is total marmite..

Joao..."God if we sell him and he starts firing?"

Rhodes....Same as above..

Winnall...Simply doesn't seem to have it..but f.ookinell..."What if...(same as above)

FF?..well its the same scenario isn't it?

I reckon the best couple to partner Fletcher....

Joao to me is probably a bigger enigma than any of 'em...

You can see he has it in him...one on ones...cool as f.ook....can hit a ball like a missile...but....20 step over, drag backs...that rolling it wiv his studs thingy.,.,.then... nowt!

Its frustrating..Cos you can see him going somewhere else...a manager saying..."Stop it wiv the rollin' stud stepovers"!!!

all of a sudden he's Harry Kane!

See??

Thats the situation....the whole post sums up me frustration....

i could have posted....

"dunno"

Edited by asteener1867

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think, if it were a 2 in the middle, Bannan also becomes a liability. He can be a real catalyst for us in midfield, but he will never fit in a 2 man midfield

Not as much as Pelupessy he doesn't.

1 hour ago, Night King said:

might sneak 500 k for Nuhui,is it me or is nobody interested in our players.speaks for itself !!!

5 minutes ago, big oz said:

its the wide players who need pace central strikers need to be able to time thier runs to get on the end of crosses like rhodes and fletcher have been doing

Probably not true these days, how many goals were scored by strikers running clear of the defence. Yes, the wide players might have pace, but how many goals does Harris score? About the same as Palmer I reckon

Would be a bit disappointed to move Rhodes on now having started him so frequently in pre season. Would have been better off getting Joao or Winnall more minutes in ‘the stronger squad’. 

Also will never understand the obsession with the starting 11. He may start as sub at Reading and still be the key man against Barnsley at home. Very few teams can stick rigidly to 11-14 players. There has to be a squad and some rotation. He can be right for one game and not right for the next. 

We need balance and we need the depth, only move bodies on if we’ve got someone lined up. 

14 hours ago, NYowl said:

Didn't realise FF was out of contract in 12 months time. In that case I would be trying to offload him while we can still get a decent fee.

I do get the impression that he will wind his contract down and walk away as I think he and his agent will be looking to cash in as a free agent.

Yep, we missed the boat as per there

• Haha 1