Rhodes... what’s the plan ?

14 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Not knocking Rhodes here but didn't we only start playing when we switched to three in midfield and a lone striker of Fletcher ( our best striker by miles at present ). 

Think if he stays he will be a sub.

But if Fletch gets injured 

I'd much prefer Rhodes as lone striker to the other options available. 

Guest The Horse
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We’d have the slowest front pairing in the league, if we persist with him and Fletcher. It might work against the likes of Northampton and Lincoln, but we won’t make much headway against the better sides

I refer the honourable gentleman to 23 goals a season lard-ass Billy Sharp again.

Don't have to be fast.

Just keep up with play and be in the box at the right time.

1 minute ago, lanzaroteowl said:

But if Fletch gets injured 

I'd much prefer Rhodes as lone striker to the other options available. 

We dont have alot of options when you get past Fletcher to be fair. None that seem to fit anyway.

1 minute ago, The Horse said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to 23 goals a season lard-ass Billy Sharp again.

Don't have to be fast.

Just keep up with play and be in the box at the right time.

I take your point about Sharp, but a couple of major differences. First, he was paired with the more mobile McGoldrick, a player who could run in behind. The second thing is, it wasn’t Billy Blunt the six yard predator. It was the new Billy Sharp, prepared to run the channels, and to drop deep to link the play. He operated more like a more mobile Gary Hooper

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Id still be looking to sell him.

My front 2 for the first game wouldn't be a popular one as I think our best front two is Joao and Forestieri - Fletch and Nuhiu on the bench.

Rhodes Winnall can move on for me.

You have two virtually identical players on the pitch and two identical on the bench.  

If we do go two up front which I am not sure we will then it needs to be a one of them off a fletcher or Nuhiu. Not both. Both are ball players. (or Hoggers )

The Rhodes situation is very simple. Possibly one of the least complicated in the squad at the minute.

• Rhodes cost us a lot of money to buy and costs us a lot of money to keep, while appearing to be on a downward spiral in terms of his career and form. If a club comes in with a reasonable bid and agrees terms with the player then he'll leave (I suspect only the chairman's definition of "reasonable" is why he's still here now)

• In the event that that doesn't happen, then we have a striker on our hands with what remains a frightening scoring record at this level, who is too expensive to cast out to the reserves (and who probably doesn't deserve that anyway - Rhodes isn't McGugan). We therefore can't afford to do anything other than give him games, minutes and opportunities. You can also make a secondary argument that we seem to have made changes to the team and brought players in who are better suited to getting the best out of him.

Either way - as things stand right now I believe he both will and should play. Perhaps the second point will lead to the first actually happening by the end of this window or in January.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the supposed interest in João has offered us another way to raise some cash this financial year, so potentially less pressure to get rid of Rhodes?

His goal scoring form can now can only Increase the interest in him and potentially increase his value....or help us next season. This may well force Norwich to make a more realistic offer

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

The Rhodes situation is very simple. Possibly one of the least complicated in the squad at the minute.

• In the event that that doesn't happen, then we have a striker on our hands with what remains a frightening scoring record at this level, who is too expensive to cast out to the reserves (and who probably doesn't deserve that anyway - Rhodes isn't McGugan). We therefore can't afford to do anything other than give him games, minutes and opportunities. You can also make a secondary argument that we seem to have made changes to the team and brought players in who are better suited to getting the best out of him.

Either way - as things stand right now I believe he both will and should play. Perhaps the second point will lead to the first actually happening by the end of this window or in January.

So because he is on a whopper of a wage you play him - even to the detriment of the team?

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Rhodes needs 442.

Our 442 is too weak for the championship because of Bannan

I see Rhodes as an option rather than a consistent first 11 pick, so if we get an offer- defo sell. 

Pretty much nail on head 

The main issue for any manager is central midfield.  If we play with two strikers, lets use the example of Fletcher and Rhodes.  Then to play to their strengths we would need to have Harris & Reach out wide.

This would leave 2 in central midfield and currently if Hutchinson is injured that leaves Pelupessy & Bannan as our starting pair with little cover.  We would need two athletic all round midfielders in order to play this way, so where would that leave Bannan - our most (arguably) influential player?  

Neither Rhodes or Fletcher would work as a 'wide' forward in a 4-3-3 formation.  

Right now Fletcher is the number 1 striker, who can lead the line and play the loan strikers role the best.  That leaves Rhodes as an expensive option off the bench - which incidentally worked for Norwich last year.

Can we afford to use him in the same manner as Norwich did last year?  Something will have to give way as we cannot carry FF, Joao & Rhodes.  FF and Joao are more likely to have an impact in 4-3-3.  One minor detail is the lack of manager in determining how we play.

• Like 1

My main concern would be switching back to a 4-4-2 to accomodate him.  Playing 4-4-2 agaist teams playing a three man central midfield has been an issue for us over a number of years now.

The other alternative would be to play a 3-5-2, as we did under Jos for a period of time, but that would throw up its own complications.

44 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Who knows with FFP but seeing as he has been an absolute gunman this pre season I wouldn’t mind if he got another crack at it.

The preseason schedule hasn't really been to challenging. 

Give him credit for being in the right place at the right time, but against better opponents he'll struggle.

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The preseason schedule hasn't really been to challenging. 

Give him credit for being in the right place at the right time, but against better opponents he'll struggle.

This, as will the side, if we try and play 4-4-2

Accounts showed we are still up against it for FFP next year. Still feel that getting a good offer for one of our strikers will be more important than which one it is for. We will be prepared to lose Rhodes I think, knowing that Forestieri or Winnall could partner Fletch or Nuhiu in a 442. Likewise Forestieri or Joao. 

Hopefully another wide man comes in, as don't fancy Harris to play every game. Reach's fitness record is great but still think another is needed.