Style or success?

If you could only have one in the short term (say next two years) which would you choose?

A lot of managers are being automatically ruled out because they play boring football. To be honest I agree with a lot of them but when people don't want David Wagner because of his style of play it seems a little extreme to me.

So if you could only have one in the next two seasons which would you choose:

A) Stylish football but fall short of promotion.

B) Less attractive football but succeed in getting promotion.

I'm not suggesting it can only be one or the other but sometimes managers seem to be dismissed as successful but boring.

For me I'd be happy with boring but successful football for a couple of seasons if it meant getting up and getting some PL money. Then hope to use said PL money to build a more attractive side. But I can see the argument the other way as well.

Edited by Leaping Lannys Perm

Guest domSWFC

I don't care about our style of play. I just want to see the team play with a high tempo and intensity. 

Success. Don’t care about arguments about ‘who plays the better football’. Win games by whichever way works. Tika taka and high press football are just ways the best teams in the world play, it doesn’t mean we need to copy as that doesn’t necessarily work lower down. Play to our strengths to win games. 

I’d take option B - winning is everything when it comes to building the club - we’ve been the bridesmaid long enough. 

However, if you look at someone like Brentford, they always get praised for their football but it’s not getting them anywhere. Which is fair enough if that’s the plan. 

Brentford probably make a lot of player sales though (?) but therefore won’t get that major money you get for promotion. 

Guest wilyfox

Success. Doesn't need to be sexy football in the championship. Be beast, then add some beauty in the prem. 

On balance I'd probably take Option B but I'm just remembering how fed up half the fans were when we ground out our way to 4th place in league under Carlos playing boring football!

It's a tough one, play like that and get to 4th people will always accuse the team of fearing the opponent and showing a lack of ambition unless you win the league. I often agreed with them. 

All about body language and some swagger for me, something we only showed was strong at times in our 1st season under Carlos. Being able to do that and change the tactics up when needed. That's what inspires confidence amongst the fans. 

Somewhere in the middle is the ideal 

I think we had plenty of style in 2015/16 but came up short against physical sides. 

A more pragmatic approach the following season saw us finish higher but then a lack of ability to take the shackles off/reliance on two key link players in lee and Hooper saw us fail again. 

However there isn’t an ideal situation given that the league starts in 2 weeks. With the squad we have and the need to punch above id go for Rowett.

Edited by Bluesteel

29 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Exactly this. We weren't the most stylish under Wilkinson but they were good times on the whole.

Yes they were...until teams worked us out and we got bored poo-less by the same old same old same week after week.

Think the fact that pretty much everyone got behind Bruce answers the question. He wasn't known for champagne football, but he is a proven winner at this level.

Most seem to be against the idea of Pulis, but if he got us promoted with the most eye bleedingly, negative football in history, he'd still be hero.

45 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

If you could only have one in the short term (say next two years) which would you choose?

A lot of managers are being automatically ruled out because they play boring football. To be honest I agree with a lot of them but when people don't want David Wagner because of his style of play it seems a little extreme to me.

So if you could only have one in the next two seasons which would you choose:

A) Stylish football but fall short of promotion.

B) Less attractive football but succeed in getting promotion.

I'm not suggesting it can only be one or the other but sometimes managers seem to be dismissed as successful but boring.

For me I'd be happy with boring but successful football for a couple of seasons if it meant getting up and getting some PL money. Then hope to use said PL money to build a more attractive side. But I can see the argument the other way as well.

just watched the highlights of our game in germany.

1st. and 3rd. goals opened with a long trough ball in the build up, 'dinosaur football' shouldn't have been allowed.

1 minute ago, Bing Cosby said:

Think the fact that pretty much everyone got behind Bruce answers the question. He wasn't known for champagne football, but he is a proven winner at this level.

Most seem to be against the idea of Pulis, but if he got us promoted with the most eye bleedingly, negative football in history, he'd still be hero.

I think if Tony Pulis got promotion with  'eye bleedingly, negative football' he would be even more of a hero because of the criticism from outside he would receive so people would rally round him even more.

Sturrocks style was functional but was a big hero when we won the play offs.