An old Buchans Football Monthly

past year I've started collecting old football magazines from the 50s/60s mainly football monthy & soccer star and there a fascinating read ….the game as changed so much and i'm not sure it's for the better . there's no doubt it was much leveller playing field back then with who had the most money being no guarantee of dominating the scene ….one other thing that comes across is the winning the FA cup far outweighed being league champions in the 50s .

Loved Charlie Buchan's Football Monthlies.  I've still got a few.  My favourite is one with Ron Springett and Peter Swan on front cover in their England kit.

Never forget going to see Jackie Sewell at his house when I was researching for my book.  I took him up to Hillsborough for a Wise Old Owls lunch.  He got a great welcome.  Won all his England caps as an Owl.

Got to agree with torryowl.  The 50s & 60s were a great time to be a supporter.  Yes, it was a level playing field.  Winning the FA Cup meant something also.

Perhaps it would be interesting if oldies like myself could recall some of their favourite games seen in that period.

My all time favourite is a 4-3 victory at Turf Moor.  Burnley were reigning Div 1 champions.  Tommy Mac sealed the win with a late penalty on a swamp of a pitch. 

Once remember a brilliant photograph in CBFM. I think it was at White Heart Lane, two players challenging in a sliding tackle on a soaking pitch. An arc of rainwater was thrown up and the light caught it, making it look like a snow storm. Think the Spurs player may have been Cliff Jones or Terry Dyson for some reason, I have been known to be wrong though !

18 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Once remember a brilliant photograph in CBFM. I think it was at White Heart Lane, two players challenging in a sliding tackle on a soaking pitch. An arc of rainwater was thrown up and the light caught it, making it look like a snow storm. Think the Spurs player may have been Cliff Jones or Terry Dyson for some reason, I have been known to be wrong though !

I said I could be wrong the shirt threw me. It was Stamford Bridge obviously against Chelsea. Great Photo Though...splash-photo.png.3f62ce6e01cd27ff16693405e68e3eb9.png There is a Chelsea player underneath the cloud of rainwater.

CBFM was such a gift. We now have kids organised football from Under 7's up. We used to get the coats and jumpers down for goal posts. Once old enough to travel on our own we would use CBFM to organise friendly fixtures within a 15 to 20 mile radius. Once in a while St Nathaniel Boys brigade or St Stephens youth club would take us farther afield for a fixture meticulously organised from the CBFM adds page of course.   

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I said I could be wrong the shirt threw me. It was Stamford Bridge obviously against Chelsea. Great Photo Though...splash-photo.png.3f62ce6e01cd27ff16693405e68e3eb9.png There is a Chelsea player underneath the cloud of rainwater.

That's tom Finney ....