Today's game highlights

9 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

You are being sarcastic right? A friendly against a top flight Spanish Europa League side will hardly give any indication on our fate.

No ime not, we should have a good indication of the managers 1st eleven, formation and style of play etc, can you remember when we played rangers pre season and were a shambles against a mediocre side and the outcome of our season.

14 hours ago, WindygrOWLer said:

Was thinking the same thing. Its extremely early days but I'm not convinced by Borner.....not much pace nor the presence of someone that's 6'2..... 

I also doubt he could defend the walls of Troy as well as Hector.

You're right - it's early days.  Borner (from my armchair) seems to be fitting into the team rather well.  Not sure I know too many pacy 6'2" players anyway...

11 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

You're right - it's early days.  Borner (from my armchair) seems to be fitting into the team rather well.  Not sure I know too many pacy 6'2" players anyway...

Wasnt really judging him.....was a bit tipsy and trying to get a joke about Hector/Troy in........

• Haha 1

You can't tell much from the highlights but 2 things stood out for me.

Bannan allowing the player to run off him for the Kiel second.  I think Bannan is a good player, but by god, friendly or no friendly, that is poor.  I hope someone took the swallocks off of him in the debrief afterwards.  Lees sort of gestures with his arm, but Bannan is usually quick to snap at certain players and should have been hauled over the coals on that one.

Kieran Lee, so intelligent in his movement.  For Fletchers first goal, he takes up a position between their defence and midfield and runs across the line.  Its very subtle, but when Bannan receives the ball and plays it to Reach, the other centre half, noting that his midfield have not picked up KL, just momentarily drifts to cover.  He should have been picking up Fletcher more closely.  Subsequently Fletcher has all the time in the world to pick his spot.  He is the most important player for us right now.  He offers something that other midfielders don't, he gives us our 5th attacker.  He gives us intelligence in his movement.  If he is fit, he is the first on the teamsheet for me.  We do not have anyone to replace him.  Reach can to a degree, but isn't the same, although I think having both of them on the pitch makes us very dangerous going forward.  We need to find a player of KL's ilk in case he gets injured.

I thought just on the small pieces I've seen, JR looks a bit sharper and is picking up finishes.  He and Fletcher could be a good partnership with Harris and Reach joining in but I think that leaves us short in centre mid.  It won't be popular, but if we are must play a 4-4-2, then I'd like to see Lee and Hutchinson/Pelupessy as a double six with Reach and Harris out wide and two up top. Yeah, I know, no Bannan but something has to give.  We either be strong and competitive through the middle and creative out wide with two up top, or we play 3 in CM and go with Fletcher on his own and hope the goals come from him, Reach, Lee and Harris.  For me, we still don't have the right blend in midfield to play 4-4-2.

Small stuff I know, but still work to do.

There's goals in this team. 

With a more direct (not hoofball), high tempo style, I think we could cause a fair bit of damage. 

Fletcher is playing as well as he's done in years and Rhodes is doing well too. 

On the wings we have some real threat now. 

47 minutes ago, tom said:

That South Korean player for them looked a class above - technically proficient and a decent finisher.

Sign him up lol

26 years old, 42 caps for Korea, 7 goals. Transfermarkt only rates him as worth EUR 1.5M. Doesn't fill any obvious gap in our team but at that price he'd be good value for someone.

10 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

26 years old, 42 caps for Korea, 7 goals. Transfermarkt only rates him as worth EUR 1.5M. Doesn't fill any obvious gap in our team but at that price he'd be good value for someone.

No work permit issues then.

1 hour ago, tom said:

That South Korean player for them looked a class above - technically proficient and a decent finisher.

Sign him up lol

I must admit he caught my eye as well.