Pre-season stress

1 minute ago, tarn owl said:

I think there will always be an initial reaction and panic after something like this. Regardless of who it is or the club. The cure is 3rd August and a 3-1 win. Bring on proper football. 

We can forget automatic promotion if we don't keep a clean sheet.   Shocking, manager out, if we've got one in.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Pre season I’ve been warming to the old chairman what with the Bruce affair and the kit - and then I saw the Barnsley prices compared with the Reading ones. The robdoggery returns. 

+1 for Robdoggery

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

We can forget automatic promotion if we don't keep a clean sheet.   Shocking, manager out, if we've got one in.

True enough. 

Football supporters in many ways are like a pack of teenage girls.

In the absence of drama.....create some

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tarn owl said:

I think there will always be an initial reaction and panic after something like this. Regardless of who it is or the club. The cure is 3rd August and a 3-1 win. Bring on proper football. 

I had the misfortune of buying a Tottenham youth shirt for a nephew and it was £80 Corney two hats 

We once picked up a great manager, from Ajax, I think. Vic Buckingham was his name on a par with anything that Europe has to offer today. The biggest criticism one could level at him was that he was twenty years ahead of his time. Seems like a good enough reason to get rid to me; I mean who wants silverware and years and years of trudging around Europe. So lets stick with picking one from our list of poo, if it doesn't work the list will always be there to fall back on lol  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Fate can never be gainsaid.

Drawing nearer each time played,

Wednesday is as Wednesday does.

Onward through pre-season buzz,

Heeding no thought of fatigue,

We are meant to win the league!

What is there to be stressed about. Playing football for £15k a week. Spending most of the season on a physio table talking to your pals.

Yeah the players will cope. It is not stressful delivering mid table mediocrity.

1 hour ago, heppers said:

What is there to be stressed about. Playing football for £15k a week. Spending most of the season on a physio table talking to your pals.

Yeah the players will cope. It is not stressful delivering mid table mediocrity.

We're definitely finishing mid table are we?

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

We once picked up a great manager, from Ajax, I think. Vic Buckingham was his name on a par with anything that Europe has to offer today. The biggest criticism one could level at him was that he was twenty years ahead of his time. Seems like a good enough reason to get rid to me; I mean who wants silverware and years and years of trudging around Europe. So lets stick with picking one from our list of poo, if it doesn't work the list will always be there to fall back on lol  

Sounds good, I've just stuck a tenner on him. So despite being dead for 24 years he's now entered the Sky Bet list as 6th favourite. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Buckingham’s main  problem was that he took the place of an exceptional team manager in Harry Catterick and couldn’t match his win percentage.

He changed the style of play to a shorter passing continental style but literally got bogged down as I remember. Hillsborough and most grounds were usually deep in mud by Christmas making his style difficult. The wings were the only place with grass and you just couldn’t pass your way through midfield in Winter back then.

Twenty years later and with half decent pitches he would have had a better chance.

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Pre-season so far ..

Well the manager has gone , eventually admitting to being totally selfish in his decision. Something which is blatantly obvious, but rare to actually hear from someone in his position. The tittle tattle about his departure will rumble on as a back drop until the big kick off.

5bb4d5897e819b0f7d000004.jpeg

"It being Newcastle United was the overriding factor for me to be as selfish as I was " -Steve Bruce.

The fans are getting into panic stations as debate rages about who the new gaffer is going to be. The list is a largely uninspiring one, but truth be told may have no bearing at all on who is actually being looked at and spoken too. We are all aware how easily the market is swayed but most of the initial list is random. 

Van Bronckhorst won't come he's too big a name for us!

Cowley can't come he's not a big enough name for us!

We can't have Pulis he wears a poo hat!

We don't want Megson he's too direct! 

We don't want Carlos he not direct enough!

Whatever. ..

The club have, so far , remained quiet on their search for a new manager . Rightly IMO, if they are approaching another club for permission to speak to their manager , or even if they are speaking to people currently out of work maybe they might not want to alert other clubs who might also be thinking about new appointments any time soon.

Of course everyone wants to know, but we'll find out soon enough. 

Sometimes it pays to keep the powder dry.

The whole Bruce departure has been a kick squarely in the goolies and one we've haven't taken well as a fan base. It sends things spiralling in the minds of football starved people.  Suddenly every misplaced pass is another portent of Doom.  Every player that doesn't clap a sign of the disregard these people have for the support.  Another sign of a chasm and a season ready to launch into Doom!

Except one group. ..

Amazingly the people seem to be least stressed about the whole thing is the players. They,  I'm sure were sorry to see Bruce go. He'd clearly built good relationships with them.  But the players are only too aware of the he transient nature off football.  Some players end up having multiple managers every season.  Different team mates every season. Nature of the beast and something all of them will be used to. 

_107849483_palmer.jpg

Liam Palmer - on his 9th gaffer

The players have been getting on with their business and according the coaching staff the morale in the camp is very good, the players are giving it 100% and are totally focused.  The Portugal trip has been a positive one and really helped the new signings get to know the rest of the lads. 

The mood on the Internet might be low but the mood in the playing camp is anything but with the players looking forward to the season ahead.

D_2Vy2tX4AEsGss.thumb.jpeg.a8c229caa563732077002133600db2fe.jpeg

OWLS PLAYERS IN GOOD SPIRITS AND LOOK ING FOR WARD TO THE NEW SEASON

The skipper Tom Lees has told the media it's been a very tough pre-season and that they have really been put though their paces but that the players are feeling the benefit of that work and are in good condition going into the season. They're now just fine homing the match sharpness in the friendly games where all the members of the squad have been getting minutes under their belts. 

The friendly games -

Are gradually getting harder in standard and that's a good thing. The first few games are about getting out there on a full sized pitch and finding you way about again after the 5 a sides and fitness work on the training ground.  

Only a fool would read too much into victory but it was good against the lower end opposition to see the forwards all  getting plenty of service and shots away ,building that confidence.  

1898312397_2019-07-2014_21_59.png.89b579d4e0d0c29a733ae484c4a1670a.png

Meanwhile as the games get tougher it becomes an opportunity for the defense to get tougher and tougher workouts as they fine tune into the season. Then the last couple of games will be when we see the likely team taking shape. 

There are plenty of positives to look at as we go into this season, despite the manager situation.

The new lads ,from the training videos seem to be really fitting in well as characters.

And on the pitch they also have shown in the friendly games the injection of pace which we have been crying out for these past 4 years. 

There seems to be an excellent spirit in the camp and it might only be a small thing but it has been refreshing to see the smiles on all the players faces.  

Whoever comes in , there is plenty for them to work with,  enough quality players to make a fist of it and resplendant in our stripes I see no reason why we can't have a good season. 

So let's relax with the panic, hold back the negativity and slagging of coaches,  players and the club. Theyre going to be fine and so are we.

Lets have a nice cup of tea.

1yyiL.gif.92c2bc42dc3bb8e85253e19df1f0c74d.gif

As they say....

Wyrd bið ful aræd

Wyrd bið ful aræd

Taken from the last Kindom eh snoots?

"fate is all" or summat?

I suppose you could only liken Wednesday to King Alfred f.ookin' about in a swamp while all goes fookwhittery...Burnin' the cakeball...eatin' frogs...beset with the sh *ts since he was 10 or whatever.....

Heres us...lookin' for a bit of dry ground and a fair fight...

There was a stone the Saxons met at at ..wasn't there...Egberts or Aethelreds stone...or whatever....

Lets call it Hillsborough corner...devil take the hindmost..and f.ook all the f.ookers...

Sharpen yer Seaxes..The season is upon us!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Crikey...Its gonna be a shieldwall wiv Pulis at the front in a f.ookin' baseball cap ..instead of a winged (pronounced wing-ed) helmet..never strayin' out of our own half in case we lose Wessex..errr..I mean possession

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Wyrd bið ful aræd

Taken from the last Kindom eh snoots?

"fate is all" or summat?

I suppose you could only liken Wednesday to King Alfred f.ookin' about in a swamp while all goes fookwhittery...Burnin' the cakeball...eatin' frogs...beset with the sh *ts since he was 10 or whatever.....

Heres us...lookin' for a bit of dry ground and a fair fight...

There was a stone the Saxons met at at ..wasn't there...Egberts or Aethelreds stone...or whatever....

Lets call it Hillsborough corner...devil take the hindmost..and f.ook all the f.ookers...

Sharpen yer Seaxes..The season is upon us!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Crikey...Its gonna be a shieldwall wiv Pulis at the front in a f.ookin' baseball cap ..instead of a winged (pronounced wing-ed) helmet..never strayin' out of our own half in case we lose Wessex..errr..I mean possession

You keep your well-read, intellectual side on the QT don't you 'me old'? Eh?

Shhhh.... I won't tell anyone. You keep playing the clown and spelling your Anglo Saxon profanities with a double oo rather than u and no one will realise.

:cool:

Edited by Rev Owl
  • Haha 1