Lucas Joao to Brizzie

It's amazing how it is multiple managers' fault that a player cannot be arsed, he should look in the mirror.  

Unfortunately, despite having the ability in locker Joao just doesn't have what it takes to be a consistent performer at this level never mind any higher, and that's his own fault. 

It took Bruce about 4 seconds to work him out, and if you can't step up for someone who has won promotion out of this league on 4 occasions I don't think we can blame anyone but Joao himself.

He'll suit Bristol City down to the ground, a comfortable club with zero expectations. 

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

It's amazing how it is multiple managers' fault that a player cannot be arsed, he should look in the mirror.  

Unfortunately, despite having the ability in locker Joao just doesn't have what it takes to be a consistent performer at this level never mind any higher, and that's his own fault. 

It took Bruce about 4 seconds to work him out, and if you can't step up for someone who has won promotion out of this league on 4 occasions I don't think we can blame anyone but Joao himself.

He'll suit Bristol City down to the ground, a comfortable club with zero expectations. 

There’s too many people who think that players can just add a characteristic to their game easily, especially consistency, and then just become much better players. 

To be honest, it’s hard to think of many examples of players who have improved dramatically.. change tends to be at the margin. We need to be selling players at the right ages for good money to then reinvest in the squad if those players aren’t going to be good enough for where we want to get to which is Premier League. Selling an inconsistent 26 year old Joao with a few years left on his contract for a £5m+ fee is good business. If we don’t, it’s likely that we release a still inconsistent 29 year old Joao on a free, or that he keeps getting contracts like Nuhui but never been one of the first names on the team sheet. Part of our problem is that none of our players are really good enough for the Prem, and we’ve turned down good money when they were at the right age to be sold on. Now they’re all 29-32 on big wages, and whilst they’re still decent players they have little resale value

Joao is our most saleable striker given his age.. some of the others could go too but they wouldn’t fetch the same money 

Don’t really know what we’re faffing around at here, he’s a decent saleable asset and for me he’s replaceable , Bristol have got cash to burn and seem keen on the lad

Come on Chairman let’s have him gone and a few quid in the bank 

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s too many people who think that players can just add a characteristic to their game easily, especially consistency, and then just become much better players. 

To be honest, it’s hard to think of many examples of players who have improved dramatically.. change tends to be at the margin. We need to be selling players at the right ages for good money to then reinvest in the squad if those players aren’t going to be good enough for where we want to get to which is Premier League. Selling an inconsistent 26 year old Joao with a few years left on his contract for a £5m+ fee is good business. If we don’t, it’s likely that we release a still inconsistent 29 year old Joao on a free, or that he keeps getting contracts like Nuhui but never been one of the first names on the team sheet. Part of our problem is that none of our players are really good enough for the Prem, and we’ve turned down good money when they were at the right age to be sold on. Now they’re all 29-32 on big wages, and whilst they’re still decent players they have little resale value

Joao is our most saleable striker given his age.. some of the others could go too but they wouldn’t fetch the same money 

We have one example at our own club, Palmer A similar age to Joao, he came on leaps and bounds last season, though like Joao, he was never as bad a some made out on here

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We have one example at our own club, Palmer A similar age to Joao, he came on leaps and bounds last season, though like Joao, he was never as bad a some made out on here

Do we have any examples of a player's attitude changing '180' to become a reliable member of the team?

Palmer did improve yes and he had a decent season, however if he'd have had any saleable value 2 years ago and someone was interested we'd have sold him, just like we did with Jack Hunt who was far superior at the time.

Palmer has previously struggled with concentration and his positioning when defending which got better last season and hopefully that carries on. Joao on the other hand has the ability in his locker but he just 'turns up' when he fancies it. He's been the same for 4 years and unfortunately it's harder to change that rather than improving a part of his game. 

Yes some posters go OTT on both of them. But Palmer was poor and last season he was good, and Joao can be a match winner in one game and Kim Olsen the next, I think most of us agree with that.

On 19/07/2019 at 16:26, owlZfan84 said:

He'd look fuuuuuucking terrible in a red shirt - just like Jack Hunt.

watched Briz v FGR tonite. 

Hunt was actually their best player. 

FGR were 3-1 up, then manager made a load of subs & lost 3-4. 

If BC play like this in championship, they won’t be anywhere nr the playoffs this yr

C93DD81F-EA62-4C03-853C-124D72064FD9.jpeg

On 20/07/2019 at 00:49, Royal_D said:

Don’t really know what we’re faffing around at here, he’s a decent saleable asset and for me he’s replaceable , Bristol have got cash to burn and seem keen on the lad

If he had Semedoes attitude he could be the next Ronaldo, but sadly he has Slothroyds attitude , so its a sell from me, by son, , you can tell the granndkids, you could have been somebody !

On 20/07/2019 at 08:52, Owls2k said:

Do we have any examples of a player's attitude changing '180' to become a reliable member of the team?

Palmer did improve yes and he had a decent season, however if he'd have had any saleable value 2 years ago and someone was interested we'd have sold him, just like we did with Jack Hunt who was far superior at the time.

Palmer has previously struggled with concentration and his positioning when defending which got better last season and hopefully that carries on. Joao on the other hand has the ability in his locker but he just 'turns up' when he fancies it. He's been the same for 4 years and unfortunately it's harder to change that rather than improving a part of his game. 

Yes some posters go OTT on both of them. But Palmer was poor and last season he was good, and Joao can be a match winner in one game and Kim Olsen the next, I think most of us agree with that.

No doubt Joao is frustrating at times. However, last season he outperformed all our strikers except for Fletcher. As inconsistent as he is, he has a good goals per minute record when playing as a striker and is capable of scoring different types of goals.

Winnall, Rhodes and Nuhiu all have a more specific way of playing and are less adaptable when not playing to their strengths. If 1 or 2 of those 3 were to leave I don't think they would need replacing but I think Joao gives us a different option that we would miss in the squad. Obviously we can only move others on if bids are received but unless the money for Joao is good I wouldn't be too keen to kick him out. 

On 20/07/2019 at 08:23, gurujuan said:

Palmer had a rough patch and got a bit too much abuse for it, although I don't think people every really questioned his desire to play, he's Wednesday through and through and even when he struggles tracking back or gets a nosebleed up front he still puts the effort in. Joao on the other hand sometimes gives off the impression that he's not bothered at all - and that's not something that can really be 'fixed' as such. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, j17tjp said:

If BC play like this in championship, they won’t be anywhere nr the playoffs this yr

I remember league 1 side Sheffield Wednesday once beat PL side Newcastle in a friendly 4-3.  Wednesday went on to record one of their lowest league finishes in history, Newcastle finished 3rd in the PL.  The point is? Form in friendlies can be misleading 

25 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I remember league 1 side Sheffield Wednesday once beat PL side Newcastle in a friendly 4-3.  Wednesday went on to record one of their lowest league finishes in history, Newcastle finished 3rd in the PL.  The point is? Form in friendlies can be misleading 

They were still poo  :tango:

On 19/07/2019 at 06:45, WC1Owl said:

The same applies to us. If Kenneth Zohore is worth £8m, with very similar Championship stats to Joao, albeit a season in the Premier, Joao's value can't be that ,much less.

Zohore looks twice the player Joao ever did.  More polished, faster, doesn't trip over himself in the box ...

4 hours ago, j17tjp said:

Ah, Hunt. The black sheep of the Wednesday family. Wonder what he did to deserve being sold, one should never do that to a family member. "Through thick and thin" I say!

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, e6owl said:

Palmer had a rough patch and got a bit too much abuse for it, although I don't think people every really questioned his desire to play, he's Wednesday through and through and even when he struggles tracking back or gets a nosebleed up front he still puts the effort in. Joao on the other hand sometimes gives off the impression that he's not bothered at all - and that's not something that can really be 'fixed' as such. 

Joao or Palmer?  Joao every time for me.  Joao needs more game time and needs to part of a three up front attack.  Palmer did improve last season to the level of a decentish Championship player and no more.  He needs to maintain that level at least and hopefully improve on it. The struggling part needs to be worked on.  Glaring holes are left when he goes forward and can't get back.

On 20/07/2019 at 00:49, Royal_D said:

To replace him with a player of the same level (or slightly better) would cost more than we would get for Joao. So we would be losing money. 

Unless we get lucky and unearth a lower league nugget, but that's a gamble.