An unpopular opinion.

Just now, Beholder said:

Alan Biggs said he was courting Newcastle long before it came out.

So yeh- must have been pretty desperate I would say.

Funny how you all seem to be picking up on the use of certain words in an attempt to divert from the overall meaning.

That's not the same thing. 

He may have been desperate to join Newcastle, because it's his dream job and a Premier League club. 

Jesus Christ. 

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Alan Biggs said he was courting Newcastle long before it came out.

So yeh- must have been pretty desperate I would say.

Funny how you all seem to be picking up on the use of certain words in an attempt to divert from the overall meaning.

Funny how you are using words like "showdown" and "desperate" ..and now Bruce was courting Newcastle a  a while before the f.ookin' "Desperate Showdown" lol

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 1

Remember Chansiri backed Bruce with four permanent signings, two loans and a whole raft of new coaching/fitness/sport science staff. 

He also let fat head have his way with alterations to the training ground. 

Oh, and he gave him a month off too so he could watch some cricket. 

But yes, I suspect Bruce didn't feel supported enough and was desperate to leave and run into the big fat sweaty arms of Mike Ashley. 

Just now, SiJ said:

He may have been desperate to join Newcastle, because it's his dream job and a Premier League club. 

Jesus Christ. 

Maybe.

However the OP posits that that the opposite is true. As a discussion point. Something to consider. Because it is relevant. It suggests that he left primarily because he was unhappy here. 

In a summer where we have had an embargo, I would say that was more than plausible. 

Yet here we are arguing over my use of the word 'showdown'.

• Haha 1

Just now, Beholder said:

Maybe.

However the OP posits that that the opposite is true. As a discussion point. Something to consider. Because it is relevant. It suggests that he left primarily because he was unhappy here. 

In a summer where we have had an embargo, I would say that was more than plausible. 

Yet here we are arguing over my use of the word 'showdown'.

You didn't really put it forward as a discussion point. 

Your OP wasn't exactly fair and balanced. 

It was a polemic, put forward to cause a stir. You knew it yourself, when you went on about how many negs it would attract. Heck, you chose the title "An unpopular opinion". 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I don't spend a long time re writing posts until the meaning is exact.

Sometimes words have a bit of added drama.

But since the outcome was he fizzed off, and since we also understand he was desperate to get away, maybe showdown is quite accurate?

Sometimes when people are frustrated enough to leave a job, showdowns may be sought.

It's hardly such a leap to use that word.

But yes, it is my word. Not Chansiris word, not Bruce's word..

13 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Sonny, I've not admitted anything.

It was my post with my words 

I don't painstakingly source everything rigorously for a post on here.

I just convey the general meaning off the top of my head.

That a showdown happened it most probable given the information at hand. So yeh I stick by that.

But you said that we ‘know’ a ‘showdown’ happened and then based your whole theory on it. 

Now you’re saying you don’t know it was a showdown and in fact it might not have been one, but showdowns do happen in life so it probably was one.

If you weren’t so set on your preferred outcome you’d take a step back and see that the above is pretty ludicrous really. I’ve simply tried to find out what you’re basing it on and you’ve come up with practically nothing.

12 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Remember Chansiri backed Bruce with four permanent signings, two loans and a whole raft of new coaching/fitness/sport science staff. 

He also let fat head have his way with alterations to the training ground. 

Oh, and he gave him a month off too so he could watch some cricket. 

But yes, I suspect Bruce didn't feel supported enough and was desperate to leave and run into the big fat sweaty arms of Mike Ashley. 

To be fair, although what you say is a fair point, We don’t know what goes on day to day. Just because DC appeared to do his best to accommodate Bruce doesn’t mean Bruce should be forever grateful and accept everything that goes on behind the scenes. 

Also, in my view if you’re employing a manager to manage the team, he should be allowed to bring in his own backroom staff. That’s a given for me. So I don’t really understand all this outrage because he let Bruce bring in who he wanted to. I hope that DC does  this with every manager he hires, so they can do their job to the best of their ability.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Oh aye it’s all grubby and underhanded, but that’s the industry. Players and managers do it all the time to try and get a move or get a new contract etc. Morals in football went out the window a long time ago. 

Well you don’t know for fact he knew what he was signing up for. 

When he joined

"I didn't think twice. I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to go back into management, but when I got the phone call from the chairman (Dejphon Chansiri) and met his enthusiasm when we got face-to-face - he wants this club to be successful.

"That started the old adrenaline a bit to say 'let's get back on the horse again'."
-----

at the end of season
Bruce, who has sampled defeat just three times in 18 matches in an uplifting start to his Owls’ tenure, said: “It was one of the reasons why I am here due to the quite unique band of fans.

“If you are honest and straight with them they will support their club. That is quite refreshing.

“To get 5,000 (away fans) at Preston, who else would do that in a dead-rubber?

“Thankfully we have given them a little bit (back) because it has maybe been tough for them for 18 months after nearly getting there.

“But you cannot deny their loyalty; they are quite incredible.”

Sounds reyt snakey to me

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be fair, although what you say is a fair point, We don’t know what goes on day to day. Just because DC appeared to do his best to accommodate Bruce doesn’t mean Bruce should be forever grateful and accept everything that goes on behind the scenes. 

Should be a larf when he starts dealing with Mike Ashley and Co. 

Seems to me that the OP got exactly what he expected when he opened this thread and is probably quite pleased with himself.

3 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

When he joined

"I didn't think twice. I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to go back into management, but when I got the phone call from the chairman (Dejphon Chansiri) and met his enthusiasm when we got face-to-face - he wants this club to be successful.

"That started the old adrenaline a bit to say 'let's get back on the horse again'."
-----

at the end of season
Bruce, who has sampled defeat just three times in 18 matches in an uplifting start to his Owls’ tenure, said: “It was one of the reasons why I am here due to the quite unique band of fans.

“If you are honest and straight with them they will support their club. That is quite refreshing.

“To get 5,000 (away fans) at Preston, who else would do that in a dead-rubber?

“Thankfully we have given them a little bit (back) because it has maybe been tough for them for 18 months after nearly getting there.

“But you cannot deny their loyalty; they are quite incredible.”

Sounds reyt snakey to me

Just a new manager playing up to the media and fans because he has a required duty to talk to the press. Did you expect him to come in slate his boss and slate the fans?

Never ever read too much into what managers and players say. Football is a job to them, a lot of the time they just say what the fans want to hear.

• Haha 2

Just now, SiJ said:

You didn't really put it forward as a discussion point. 

Your OP wasn't exactly fair and balanced. 

It was a polemic, put forward to cause a stir. You knew it yourself, when you went on about how many negs it would attract. Heck, you chose the title "An unpopular opinion". 

Well yeh because I know what you lot are like. You tend to group together to attack posters that go against the prevalent narrative. 

Would  you rather the forum had only one homogeneous opinion?

If you read the thread through you will see there are lots of insightful posts on the subject that the OP generated. 

This forum would be a poorer place if posters were scared off posting because they got hounded.

Unfortunately, I tend to answer everyone. Even the ones like you who are just out to troll. That's my downfall. People setting bait like asteener before.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Seems to me that the OP got exactly what he expected when he opened this thread and is probably quite pleased with himself.

No.

Why assume I'm an ******* looking for attention? Why make it about me?

Could it not be that I'm actually interested in what is actually going on at Wednesday? 

• Haha 1

I admit, i have come in at the end (hopefully) of this thread.

But how anybody can say Bruce shouldn't be grateful is on the wind up.

Plus, he knew the situation at the club when he accepted the job.

He just didn't know the situation at Newcastle, until he sent his agent to have a word.

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Well yeh because I know what you lot are like. You tend to group together to attack posters that go against the prevalent narrative. 

If you read the thread through you will see there are lots of insightful posts on the subject that the OP generated. 

This forum would be a poorer place if posters were scared off posting because they got hounded.

Unfortunately, I tend to answer everyone. Even the ones like you who are just out to troll. That's my downfall. People setting bait like asteener before.

So...you've now admitted that the reason you started this thread was to cause a stir and get a reaction. 

Also - you don't have to start throwing in words like "homogeneous" etc., because a few people laughed at you for misspelling dissertation. 

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

No.

Why assume I'm an ******* looking for attention? Why make it about me?

Could it not be that I'm actually interested in what is actually going on at Wednesday? 

It could be, although you often seem to take the alternative view.....

No idea what the expletive word is meant to be, just glad you have not resorted to calling me lady bits or passively-aggressively threatening me yet.

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

On the verge of referring to yourself in the 3rd person with that one!

Scared off from posting, seriously?

My downfall is I keep responding to posts made by posters who deliberately take the alternative viewpoint on just about every subject up for discussion.

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Setting bait ?

You mean asking a pertinent question regarding your post? 

Is that setting bait...or perhaps bullying in your opinion Beholder?

The prevalent narrative happens to hold the majority of opinion

That means you are arguing against the majority 

The majority happen to disagree with you

That's not ganging up

We are as much entitled to an opinion as you are

It just so happens more folk think you are wrong than think you are right.

Seems you can't accept that

So flippingcarry on nailing yourself to a cross no one gives a flyer about 

I've just opened this thread after a few hours away. OH MY GOD. It's like I've gone back to 2006. Beholder has done this kind of thing over and over again, more often than not with the same embarrassing outcome as this thread. In his denials, he is either keeping the wind up going until the bitter end or is completely deluded about his own nature.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

To put it all on Bruce is too convenient.

...yet very, very much in keeping with his persistent habit.

42 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Life must be quite the soap opera.

:ph34r:  

In summary, the contest can be summed up like this...

Image result for ali knockout