Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

 

 

So your narrowing it down to 'showdown' and 'know' ?

 

Seems that Bruce got frustrated at players being over priced and therefore not selling. So he had talks with Chansiri about this. 

 

Why is the word 'showdown' so inappropriate to that context?

 

 

 

 

 

Because "talks" and "Showdown" give totally different meanings don't they...

say for instance the UK and the USA met for talks regarding summat or other...

That would be totally different than the UK and USA met for a "Showdown"

A showdown is a gunfight...Talks are summat yopu have over a coffee

Edited by asteener1867
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

and our Chairman’s style of being involved in the detail - micro managing if you like - did not bode well for a long term stay at the club for Bruce. 

Ok

Historically, Bruce is more likely to quit a job than be fired, with his exit from the Black Cats one of only three times he has experienced the sack - the other two occasions being at Huddersfield, his second club, in October 2000 and, 18 years later, Aston Villa.

He resigned at seven of his other clubs and on four of those occasions Bruce was named manager of another team within a week of leaving his previous employment.

He was in charge of the Owls for 18 league games - less than half a Championship season.

That is by no means his shortest spell at one club. In his early days, Bruce accepted three different jobs in 2001.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

 

Football managers always think they can be the one who can go into a club and change its fortunes. Unfortunately for Mr Bruce I think he may have bit of more than he can chew at Newcastle. We shall see.

they do and they nearly all end up getting the sack with a nice fat pay off ….I don't know what length of contract he had here but a 3 year deal at Newcastle is a win win for him . 58 years old and whether successful or not he's going to have another few million in his retirement kitty . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Bruce has walked out to go to his favourite club before he retires.

 

It really is that simple. 

 

 

Probably. 

 

This might be his last shot at the big time so to speak. Further, it is arguably the most high profile job he's ever had. 

 

Managers like Steve Bruce (this isn't a knock on him per se), don't usually get to manage clubs with the profile of a Newcastle United. 

 

I mean the guy is replacing a bloke who has won La Liga, the Champions League and the Europa League ffs. 

 

I'm relatively confident that any issues with Chansiri (if there were any) didn't factor in all that much once Fat Mike came calling. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

If he asked his agent to find a way out for him before Newcastle came calling then he is an even bigger snake than he has been portrayed.

 

He signed a contract to manage our team, not manage our team when everything is hunky dory and then throw the toys out of the pram a few months later. The approach our owner takes is not a secret in the football world, not are our finances, he knew what he was signing up to. 

 

Oh aye it’s all grubby and underhanded, but that’s the industry. Players and managers do it all the time to try and get a move or get a new contract etc. Morals in football went out the window a long time ago. 

 

Well you don’t know for fact he knew what he was signing up for. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

 

 

So your narrowing it down to 'showdown' and 'know' ?

 

Seems that Bruce got frustrated at players being over priced and therefore not selling. So he had talks with Chansiri about this. 

 

Why is the word 'showdown' so inappropriate to that context?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, those were the two words I asked about as the key ones in my original question. Not sure why it’s a surprise now.

 

They’re pretty integral to your theory.

 

So you can’t see a difference between talking and having a showdown? 

 

Life must be quite the soap opera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Because "talks" and "Showdown" give totally different meanings don't they...

say for instance the UK and the USA met for talks regarding summat or other...

That would be totally different than the UK and USA met for a "Showdown"

A showdown is a gunfight...Talks are summat yopu have over a coffee

Splitting hairs. 

 

Pedantic.

 

 

 

  • Disagree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Nice quick edit to remove it as well, impressive  lol

 

Not quick enough though, again - nobody beats me for speed, as my mrs often tells me with a sigh!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Splitting hairs. 

 

Pedantic.

 

 

 

Arguably, you are the one who is being pedantic. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beholder said:

Splitting hairs. 

 

Pedantic.

 

 

 

Oh do give over....They are two totally different things...

Meeting for a showdown, means no backing off..one side wins one side loses...

meeting for talks means searching for a compromise...Its totally different..

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

 

Oh aye it’s all grubby and underhanded, but that’s the industry. Players and managers do it all the time to try and get a move or get a new contract etc. Morals in football went out the window a long time ago. 

 

Well you don’t know for fact he knew what he was signing up for. 

 

Having been in football for 40 years and management for 20, if didn't do his due diligence and wasn't aware of what he was signing up for with us then more fool him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

Not quick enough though, again - nobody beats me for speed, as my mrs often tells me with a sigh!

SO no commenting on that one mate lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roland Nilsson said:

This thread is beyond embarrassing.  

Even for Owlstalk?

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sonny said:

 

Yeah, those were the two words I asked about as the key ones in my original question. Not sure why it’s a surprise now.

 

They’re pretty integral to your theory.

 

So you can’t see a difference between talking and having a showdown? 

 

Life must be quite the soap opera.

I don't spend a long time re writing posts until the meaning is exact.

 

Sometimes words have a bit of added drama.

 

But since the outcome was he fizzed off, and since we also understand he was desperate to get away, maybe showdown is quite accurate?

 

Sometimes when people are frustrated enough to leave a job, showdowns may be sought.

 

It's hardly such a leap to use that word.

 

But yes, it is my word. Not Chansiris word, not Bruce's word..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway...can I just say it is a tinsy bit rich/lacking in self awareness to start a thread with the title "unpopular opinion", then start said thread with a post where you say you are going to attract a load of negs...and then get all uppity when people don't take too kindly to said thread/opening post. 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have closed it after his Lordship pointed out that he wanted to manage his boyhood club before he retires. That simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beholder said:

I don't spend a long time re writing posts until the meaning is exact.

 

Sometimes words have a bit of added drama.

 

But since the outcome was he fizzed off, and since we also understand he was desperate to get away, maybe showdown is quite accurate?

 

Sometimes when people are frustrated enough to leave a job, showdowns may be sought.

 

It's hardly such a leap to use that word.

 

But yes, it is my word. Not Chansiris word, not Bruce's word..

 

I mean, you’ve now just admitted that you’ve fabricated the showdown bit... but it could have happened. And that’s what you’re basing all this on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

 

I'm relatively confident that any issues with Chansiri (if there were any) didn't factor in all that much once Fat Mike came calling. 

 

But that lacks the necessary pre-season drama!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I don't spend a long time re writing posts until the meaning is exact.

 

Sometimes words have a bit of added drama.

 

But since the outcome was he fizzed off, and since we also understand he was desperate to get away, maybe showdown is quite accurate?

 

Sometimes when people are frustrated enough to leave a job, showdowns may be sought.

 

It's hardly such a leap to use that word.

 

But yes, it is my word. Not Chansiris word, not Bruce's word..

Well thats mainly the point mate..It does not need "added" drama..The drama you added was to support your argument, but had no basis in fact did it?

and how do we know he was "desperate" to get away...yer doin' it again lol

Edited by asteener1867

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...