Bullen interview

I understand all the misgivings, and share many of them. But if he wants it, it's a different conversation - I think he should be shown the respect of his interest being taken seriously.

Edited by WC1Owl

He’s been there to pick up the pieces on numerous occasions and in my opinion he loves Wednesday just as much as we do. 

Think chansiri will like that. I wouldn’t be against him getting the gig, and he would have my full backing, as would any potential manager. 

6 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

It would be a mistake given Bullen the job in my opinion. His best role is on the coaching team and to be the friendly face linking manager to fans. If he became manager I doubt he would be so open and happy with fans on Twitter. 

When we lost 3-0 at hull he openly said they didn’t know what they were doing so it would be worrying if he was given the job full time. 

This ^^, leave him be and get another man to be the top boss. We’ve appointed coaches before and they haven’t turned out that great (Yorath and shreeves) 

If Bullen is now saying he wants it, it’s because he’s probably  been asked to do it. Biggs hinted at this too. 

I thought Rowett might be ok and keep it simple, but he has history of swapping jobs. 

I think Bullen is a man the players probably like and respond to, he is up front and straight talking will have learnt from how many managers here? I think he’d keep it simple and it would keep that togetherness under adversity feeling going. It worked to an extent with Warne at Rotherham.

My real concern is that he gets affected by the defeats and the hard times and he didn’t look ready at all after Carlos left. So turning around a bad run would be the key test for him. As would operating in the transfer market, would he attract our targets?

I could see this being a bit of a trial for him and we will review in sept and October when the merry go round starts.

Edited by Bluesteel

You give it Bullen and the biggest problem for me would be handing recruitment back to some third party (doyen) ,  because make no mistake Bullen has absolutely no contacts in the transfer market and no backroom team that does have any to help him out 

Wrong way to do things for me 

I think Bullen is key to us this year but as a assistant to the new man especially if we do what I think we should and go all out for van Bronckhorst. He would be a class appointment and with Bullens knowledge and assistance we could have a serious shot at promotion

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think Bullen is key to us this year but as a assistant to the new man especially if we do what I think we should and go all out for van Bronckhorst. He would be a class appointment and with Bullens knowledge and assistance we could have a serious shot at promotion

Go for a Dutchman who has no Championship experience. Didn't work out well last time. I suppose he would have some idea of the talent available in the Netherlands but based on our recent acquisitions also a big gamble. 

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Go for a Dutchman who has no Championship experience. Didn't work out well last time. I suppose he would have some idea of the talent available in the Netherlands but based on our recent acquisitions also a big gamble. 

Not just the Netherlands. He had a successful career in Holland Scotland England and Spain and is known throughout. He is young and up and coming and could very well believe his best way of getting a premiership job is to take us up.

Yes it is a gamble but it is nothing like the appointments of CC or JL. He HAS won titles, yes only in Holland but he has done it and has left to better himself. Would much rather rick this than Bullen, or appoint someone like Pulis who will take us back to the dark days of long ball.

10 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Any appointments a gamble, some less than others. As much as I like Bully I think we need to keep him for situations like we find ourselves in now and he's also a good coach.

As for manager lets not be hasty unless Hughton changes his mind and says yes. Out of the rest that are available Bronkhorst ticks a lot of boxes and you can't compare him to Jos. Look at the success he's had with Feyenord.

Edited by Mountain Owl

Let Bully have a go. 

Wednesday through and through and he's gathered knowledge and experience from our other managers over the years.

If he's ready to accept the responsibility, give him a chance I say.

I would LOVE us to go up with a true Wednesday legend at the helm 

2 hours ago, marcx666 said:

Appearance of Meggo? You mean Iain Dowie at the Northampton game? 

I'm sure someone mentioned they'd seen him over the weekend at either Lincoln or Stocksbridge, may have been just there as a fan. Though I do think if we do give bully the job, it would be ideal to bring someone similary, of his experience in to help him with all the things that managers need to know and do, especially as our chairman is no Milan mandrich as far as those things are concerned. 

5 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm sure someone mentioned they'd seen him over the weekend at either Lincoln or Stocksbridge, may have been just there as a fan. Though I do think if we do give bully the job, it would be ideal to bring someone similary, of his experience in to help him with all the things that managers need to know and do, especially as our chairman is no Milan mandrich as far as those things are concerned. 

I don't recall that, I know someone on twitter said he was at the Northampton game, only for it to turn out to be actually Iain Dowie lol

Not sure about Rowett.

In one sense he seems a reasonable option but has never kicked on from doing a good job at Brum.

Still remember a midweek game against his Derby team. We were struggling with injuries, Clare and Joey in midfield but Joao scored two good goals.

They were near top league with a lot of good players.

He  picked a very defensive team, had a very strong bench but didn’t make any changes until after 80 mins and then only swapped like for like 

Would be very disappointed if our manager was so negative.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

For me Bruce’s departure is a huge blow to our chances this season. The list of candidates is so uninspiring. Nobody out there who will come and lift this group in my view. Unless we poach a manager from another club, but can’t see Chansiri doing that. 

So why not give Bullen a chance? He will have a bit of continuity from the Bruce reign. Yeah it might all go wrong, but at this point I’m inclined to just give him a shot. But on the other hand i’d hate to see people turn on him. 

Agree with point one and even though Bullen is someone we need at the club I cant agree with point 2, I just cant see him getting us challenging for promotion and then as you say, some of our more vocal fans would turn on him then probably end up blaming DC for taking the cheap option.

Not what we need to challenge im afraid.