I’m not a professional player or manager, but would Moyes inspire you? He takes me back to the grey John Major spitting image character.... I’d rather have Ali Gee. I’d like some attacking, exciting, go for it, express yourself positivity  

3 minutes ago, Beastoftheeast said:

I’m with you, I’m not over the moon with Hughton, it might be silly reason but, all I can remember of him was underperforming in premier league, I might be wrong but I think it was Newcastle, I’ve not googled it! But some memory puts me off him.

He has some friends in the media who like to big up “Chrissy Hughton” and his very ordinary managerial career. I just find it hard to get excited about a 60 year old with such an uninspiring record.

• Agree 1

Just now, Beastoftheeast said:

I’m not a professional player or manager, but would Moyes inspire you? He takes me back to the grey John Major spitting image character.... I’d rather have Ali Gee. I’d like some attacking, exciting, go for it, express yourself positivity  

He would organise us & get us playing some effective stuff. I reckon his style is ideal for this league & probably this team. 

It’s odd how people forget what Carvalhal served up after the first season and also how good Moyes has been at Preston and Everton. If we could be where Everton have been the last 20 years I don’t think we would be too unhappy 

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

He would organise us & get us playing some effective stuff. I reckon his style is ideal for this league & probably this team. 

Two very objective points but, I’m no expert, he just doesn’t inspire me?... I like Holloway 

Been round the block type like just about every other one whos been mentioned....sure he'd be capable of doing a decent  job but hardly an inspiring choice.. . .perhaps time to look at somone from the lower leagues like tisdale....

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bhaigh107 said:

Yes I think be a great appointment although I don't think he would take the job not high enough profile for him

He needs to rebuild his reputation & there won’t be many PL clubs who’ll consider Moyes over an exotic younger manager - a Van Bronckhorst for example. If he wants a job in this country again he needs to swallow his pride & take a step down imho.

Edited by Yellowbelly
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Not arguing over his judgement with the staff or signings, but his record was not that bad.

He had 51 games in charge with a points-per-game average of 1.76.

Louis van Gaal managed 1.82.  Jose Mourinho managed 1.97.

So over the course of a 38 game season with their respective PPG, Manchester United would average 72 points under Mourinho, 69 points under van Gaal and 67 points under Moyes.  

Last season, Manchester United finished on 66 points.  

Was Moyes a success?  No.  But I would argue he wasn't the complete disaster many make him out to be.  It's almost like the further Manchester United moved away from the Ferguson era, the easier managers found the job.  When Ferguson was coming to the end of his time in Manchester I was living with a Manchester United fan.  I argued time and time again that the person who took over from Ferguson was taking the most difficult job in history and would not last long.  The shoes were too big to step into, and the shadow too long to get out from under.  

Apologies for taking the thread slightly off topic...

Agree Moyes wasn’t a disaster but with the squad he inherited from Sir Alex, Man Utd we’re in a worse position after his tenure. He was poor at Sociedad. Again you can question his judgement in selecting the Spanish strugglers. Poor at Sunderland. Good at West Ham. Dour and abrasive with the media. Not what we need as we try to build on last seasons momentum 

• Agree 1

Best find who he supports before we make a move 

1 hour ago, Tommycraign10others said:

It’s odd how people forget what Carvalhal served up after the first season and also how good Moyes has been at Preston and Everton. If we could be where Everton have been the last 20 years I don’t think we would be too unhappy 

Totally agree , Moyes would be an unbelievable appointment , but Gary megson will get more support on here than Moyes,  some us up to be honest 

3 hours ago, tarn owl said:

I don't really do negatives on here, but this is the closest i've come. Has done a good job nowhere. I include Everton in this, finished 7th every year and made the scouse derby one sided in his time there. Exactly the same as every manager has done since. Kenwright is the reason they are ok, not moyes. Avoid Moyes at all costs, should be an assistant manager like Steve Mclaren. Avoid Avoid Avoid.

He started that trend though, as before he came in Everton were regularly fighting relegation and finishing bottom half. He then had them finishing 5th most years, not 7th, as it was before Man City and Tottenham broke into the top 4/6. Can’t deny he did a good job there and Sir Alex recommended him especially for the big job 

Prior to Everton he did very well at Preston, including a promotion from third tier which is part of the reason he got the chance to go there

Didn’t do anything at Man Utd and was fired straight away for not getting top 4. But that’s the same as everyone else has done there since Ferguson, including two very successful big names in Van Gaal and Mourinho

Weird appointment going to Real Sociedad, don’t know enough about it to judge how bad that was.

Got Sunderland relegated but that had been coming for at least 5 years. Would have been a miracle to keep them up every year anyway

Had a reasonable record at West Ham, then replaced for a more fashionable foreign manager

He could be realistically available to us, particularly if we’re paying managers £40k a week. Would be a steady hand and we’d be a good chance for him to build something like he did at Everton 

He’s miles better pedigree than most of the other ones on the list. Can’t believe most would have us go for a lower league manager or some foreigner with no experience of this league or higher. Think he’d do a good job... can’t believe people would turn their nose up at David Moyes

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, abdiwonderland said:

I think he would be great for us. But get the feeling people wouldn't be keen. 

Why would we not want an ex Manchester United manager in charge? 

Exactly...probably the same people who didn’t want Bruce but have been crying all week.

the expectations of Wednesday fans astounds me.

4 hours ago, Blatter said:

Turned us down years ago when he was Preston manager.

Don’t see anything that will change his mind now.

His career was on the up then. 

He needs a lifeline now. He has seemed quite jaded since his Everton days but there are parallels between the two clubs. I think players at this level would respect him too.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Spookone said:

The same Carlos who had us playing some of the most exciting football we've seen in decades and reaching the play off final - that Carlos? :duntmatter:

the same carlos who had 50 million worth of players on the pitch at Bolton who had lost there last 9 games without scoring and beat us easily that day , or the same carlos who bought garbage whats taking 3-4 years to rid from the wage bill and has got us into 2 embargos? its called the carlos legacy . give me a 40-50 million wage bill I think I could assemble a better team than he did. and most of Carlos's time the football was sideways backwards rubbish ,the same garbage you will get if u let his Portuguese pal come karanka 

6 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think he got a raw deal at Manchester United. His record wasn’t that bad. He just happened to follow the most successful manager in history. 

He inherited the same players that had just won the league and 12 months later, Moyes left them in 7th.  The club’s worst end of season table position in a generation.  It wasn’t expected that post-Ferguson, they would deteriorate as rapidly as that.

Even if you think his Manchester United spell is remembered to be worst than it actually was, what has this bloke done in the last 6 years to make you think he’d be a decent appointment?

7 hours ago, cookeh said:

To be fair..

he did as well as any of the other post-ferguson managers, barring one freak season under mourinho.

sociedad was a failure.. but fair play for trying his luck in a very different league.

sunderland has been a cursed club for everyone, and they're not where they are now because of the managers.

wasn't welcomed at west ham, but seemed to have stabilised them and won the fans respect by the end.

and all this ignores a decade of being one of the best managers in the premier league with everton. give him a bit of time and a club thats not in a downwards spiral from the second he arrives and he seems like he can do a very good job.

Van Gaal and Mourinho both won trophies at Manchester United.  They both qualified for the Champions League.  Ridiculous to state Moyes’ spell was on the same level.

Moyes is a large part of the reason why Sunderland had been in a downward spiral.  He got them relegated after a decade of Premier League football.

He did well at Everton but FFS, talk about digging up the past, that was a long time ago.  If we’re going to start talking up managers that did well 10+ years ago as potential managers at Wednesday, you might as well throw in O’Neill, Allardyce, Jol and Curbishley.

I think he's yesterday's man unfortunately. 

Had the job of a lifetime at Everton, and took the job that was an impossible task straight after Fergie left Man U, nothing to shout about since - including a pretty embarrassing spell at Real Sociedad.

We've effectively had 3 seasons of upheaval and things eventually falling flat, someone needs to come in and be a genuine inspiration with positive, fresh vibe about them. He's not that man unfortunately.  

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, deano said:

It surprises me when people seem more interested in perception from a press conference then actually considering their experience. 

Someone like Moyes would quickly identify where we must improve and make us hard to beat. 

He's been a prem mgr most of his career, the real question for me would be if he would drop to our level. 

He started out at our level, his best spell was at Preston, Everton and Man U.  Win rate Sociedad 28%, West Ham 28%, Sunderland 18%. He's getting worse.

2 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

He started out at our level, his best spell was at Preston, Everton and Man U.  Win rate Sociedad 28%, West Ham 28%, Sunderland 18%. He's getting worse.

Think 28% win percentage in recent years for a non top 6 side isn’t that bad. That’s 11 wins a year from 26 games, assuming they don’t win any of the 12 games against the top sides. Or if we give them a fluke win per season it’s 10 from 26. Then add in a similar amount of draws and it’s 40 odd points which would have seen a team finish 13th last season. I doubt there are many managers with significantly higher win percentages outside the top 6

the gap is widening too so would expect the number of points at the bottom to be less than it was 10 or 15 years ago 

Moyes will have excellent contacts, he took 3 Man Utd players to Sunderland. 

West Ham, Everton etc...respected in the game, we'd probably be very lucky to tempt him. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Think hes been unlucky in that the jobs that came along were at clubs in dire straits,which has lowered his stock,you dont get recommended to be the next Man Utd manager for no reason hes a bloody good manager,Id rate him FAR higher than Bruce and wouldnt be unhappy to see him get appointed.

Otherwise Id like to see a young guy with a fresh approach and most definately English or British

• Thanks 1