Aitor Karanka

1 minute ago, Quist said:

He has been rumbled and latest efforts are poor. His continental style is well found out now and clubs have learned how to play against it. Has not done well recently and was always one game away from cracking at Middlesboro. Think Wednesday would be bigger test and find him out.

Not done well where?

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I always thought he was more direct than Carlos?

I couldn't stand anymore of that side to side and back to the goalie crap he served up.

Could be, only going of what I’ve seen but Boro fans commented on how his wingers were resticted and it didn’t do Rhodes any favours.

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

Forest

They were 7th in the league, about where the squad should have been in the play off picture. After sacking him they plummeted, I'd class that far from not doing well. His Forest side also beat us at their place last season, in fact I can't remember us every beating a Karanka side.

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

They were 7th in the league, about where the squad should have been in the play off picture. After sacking him they plummeted, I'd class that far from not doing well. His Forest side also beat us at their place last season, in fact I can't remember us every beating a Karanka side.

Look how much Forest spent and what Middlesboro spent. Some managers have luck of managing with money others do not. He has been lucky would not suit current situation. Would not fit into club one bit. Just a wrong choice. Its about opinions and that is mine.

10 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Stuart Gray did the double over him the season before they went up

2-3 at theirs and 2-0 at Hillsborough

Edited by Gob_Bluth

33 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Can’t argue with his record. But I’d have concerns that he’s a bit of a prima Donna and could easily fall out with DC and walk. 

His style is also very very similar to CC. When we played Boro in the cup both sides just cancelled each other out with possession football. I think both Harris and Odubajo would be shackled under him.

Like it or not, this side is currently built for a more simple but effective style of getting the ball into the final third as quickly as possible. A stendel or Karanka would need a lot of time and a few transfer windows to reshape the squad. If that is accepted then fine.

But in terms of making an impact now someone like a Rowett or Monk would stand out for me as they have both done jobs with restrictions and got teams up there. Monks recent bad press would put me off him a bit though if we need value for money.

Depends which CC you're talking about. If it's the first CC then the style is like comparing night with day. More similar to the style which saw Carlos sacked

1 hour ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

A realistic potential replacement for Bruce, before you all shout me down about his negative football, he took Middlesbrough from lower mid table fodder to a play off final, then automatic promotion the season after. Then at Forest was sacked whilst sat 7th in the league and right in the play off picture, after that they appointed a dinosaur and finished miles further back. 

I know we'd all like to watch attractive football, but if you look at what we're good at, it's being a solid organised team, when it's being coached and set up the right way like Bruce did. Karanka would definitely get the best out of that department. Add a few more flair and pacey additions like Harris and we'd also have the ability to hurt teams at the other end too. Thoughts?

He would be a good choice - a man of principle who won't suffer fools.  Chairman and ne would make a great team.  He can take us places.  Maybe a bit quiet for some, but deeds speak louder than words...

Guest gizowl
30 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

We most definitely do not have a balanced squad. 

Read whats been said, 2 or 3 in and 2 or 3 out, but no major upheaval, we're on the right lines again, just needs carrying on with a few tweaks along the way. 

1 hour ago, Andrew6666 said:

I could list a whole host - that in my opinion are better, in your opinion they may not. 

Hughton (possibly already rejected)

Neill (Preston)

Pearson

Lee Johnson

Jokanovic

(I've only listed ones  think would potentially be attainable).

Like I've stated, I live close to Middlesbrough, 90% of my mates are Boro fans and match attenders, Karanka wasn't the messiah that he was made out to be - just because he has Real Madrid on his CV doesn't make him a great manager. Tactically awful, terrible substitutions at vital times, unable to alter games, plan A - if plan A fails revert to plan A. playing 1 up front against low table opposition at home (this one really wound them up). He did have great contacts regarding signings - all comments from my mates.

Hughton - Would have been ideal.  Reported to have already rejected us.

Neil and Johnson - Very good Championship managers.  But they’re settled at Championship clubs, so very unlikely to join us, especially when everybody knows Bruce leaving will have derailed our pre-season and transfer window.

Jokanovic - Also a very good Championship manager.  Already has a club out in Quatar.  The standard of football will be terrible but I bet he’s earning an absolute fortunate out there.  Is he really going to want to switch to an English club for less wages?

Pearson - He’s a loose-cannon and a yesterday’s man.  In the last 4 years, he’s managed 9 league games in England.

Given that the majority of those you’ve listed are unlikely to be available, why would the club waste time pursuing them?

And if Karanka was such a bad tactician, Middlesbrough must have had superstar players to get promoted with 89 points.  Remind me again, how many of those Middlesbrough players have gone onto better things since 2016?

Also, remind me again, how did Garry Monk and Tony Pulis do in the Championship with more or less, a very similar squad of players?

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Any Wednesday fan turning their nose up at Karanka needs to seriously lower their expectations.

Took Middlesbrough up, despite being run close by a very decent Brighton side.  Remember that 2015/16 season; Carvalhal’s first year that everyone gets all misty-eyed about.  Well Karanka yielded 15 points and 7 league wins more than what Carlos achieved.  And Boro weren’t receiving parachute payments at the time either, which makes their promotion that bit more impressive IMO.

He played at the very highest level, was assistant-manager at Real Madrid for several seasons and has a promotion to the Premier League on his CV.  What’s not to like?

He only took Middlesbro up that year by spending heavily with big money on Downing, Rhodes and Nugent plus a few others, outspending the rest of the divison and going up making a huge loss - which Steve "FFP Integrity" Gibson seems to have forgotten about. 

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

He only took Middlesbro up that year by spending heavily with big money on Downing, Rhodes and Nugent plus a few others, outspending the rest of the divison and going up making a huge loss - which Steve "FFP Integrity" Gibson seems to have forgotten about. 

So Karanka’s promotion with Middlesbrough doesn’t count because they spent a few quid?

17 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Hughton - Would have been ideal.  Reported to have already rejected us.

Neil and Johnson - Very good Championship managers.  But they’re settled at Championship clubs, so very unlikely to join us, especially when everybody knows Bruce leaving will have derailed our pre-season and transfer window.

Jokanovic - Also a very good Championship manager.  Already has a club out in Quatar.  The standard of football will be terrible but I bet he’s earning an absolute fortunate out there.  Is he really going to want to switch to an English club for less wages?

Pearson - He’s a loose-cannon and a yesterday’s man.  In the last 4 years, he’s managed 9 league games in England.

Given that the majority of those you’ve listed are unlikely to be available, why would the club waste time pursuing them?

And if Karanka was such a bad tactician, Middlesbrough must have had superstar players to get promoted with 89 points.  Remind me again, how many of those Middlesbrough players have gone onto better things since 2016?

Also, remind me again, how did Garry Monk and Tony Pulis do in the Championship with more or less, a very similar squad of players?

Like I said in the first post, MY OPINION wont match yours. You can try and push your opinion onto me but I wont change my mind. Karanka IS NOT the man for us IMO.

All what you have have stated after each of the above managers IS YOUR TAKE NOT FACT (with ambiguous wording). None of us have any idea what is happening at any of the clubs mentioned next to those managers. Lots of players earning a fortune in China, but many don't last long - money does not seem to be everything.

Middlesbrough did have a very good squad - I have also stated which you have ignored - Karanka had very good contacts, which got him some very good players at the time. Karanka signed 47 players whilst at Boro - can he do that with us?

Not trying to push my opinion.

Although this thread has confirmed to me that Karanka would be a decent option.  When you look at the pros and cons, the negatives that posters have pointed out about Karanka, as a potential manager, are pretty flimsy.

Edited by Westfield Owl

The issue I have with the likes of Karanka, Pulis, and Steve Bruce to a certain extent is that they have achieved success playing a certain type of formation and as this has brought them success in the past they don't want to deviate from this.

I think we need someone who has numerous ideas and can look at the players at their disposal and put a system together that gets the best out of what we have .

Very few managers have this flexibility and are prepared to try new systems, out of the realistic names being banded about Holloway has shown he can change his style to suit the players available. I think he might just be the man to get the Likes of FF, Joao, Reach and Bannan firing on their full potential.