Inferior opponents

Every year we seem to arrange friendlies against opponents in league 1, 2 and below. I feel as though trying yourself against equal or better sides would prime the squad more efficiently towards what’s at hand. 4-0 at Northampton seems pointless compared to practising time on the ball or retaining structure at -say - Norwich, Celtic or Everton: or is it a given law that we cannot prepare against these?

• Haha 2

Just now, iamgulasch said:

Every year we seem to arrange friendlies against opponents in league 1, 2 and below. I feel as though trying yourself against equal or better sides would prime the squad more efficiently towards what’s at hand. 4-0 at Northampton seems pointless compared to practising time on the ball or retaining structure at -say - Norwich, Celtic or Everton: or is it a given law that we cannot prepare against these?

Difference is ..in previous years we’ve lost to league 1..2 and below...and looked shocking too

• Haha 1

Just now, iamgulasch said:

That’s the spirit mate !!!

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, iamgulasch said:

Guess I’ve misjudged this. Let’s play the alfretons and Blyth Spartans of this world, score sheiteloads and then take that form on

lol

Didn't Alfreton put 14 past us a couple of years ago?

• Haha 1

And every year we get these daft threads, pre season is all about fitness and getting rid of the rust over the summer, most clubs in the Championship play lower league opposition and finish with a stronger test, Villareal last year Espanyol this year...

Don’t think results matter irrespective of pre season opponents to be honest 

the games in Germany and then Espanyol will be a test 

24 minutes ago, iamgulasch said:

IncredibleDecisiveGrasshopper-max-1mb.gif.ec83b43c84973b4ae03692c05058d5b3.gif

13 minutes ago, iamgulasch said:

Guess I’ve misjudged this. Let’s play the alfretons and Blyth Spartans of this world, score sheiteloads and then take that form on

lol

Man Utd played Perth the other night. Marseille lost to Accrington Stanley last week. 

Clubs use mixed squads of senior and reserve players and want to build up the preparation. 

I think we’ve got enough on our plate at the moment, without moaning about who we play in friendlies. 

Edited by Rogers

Pre season is all about fitness and gaining understanding between players. It certainly helps when your strikers are scoring, building confidence, and your defenders are keeping clean sheets.

I kind of get your point, but confidence and momentum are 2 attributes that cannot be understated and can go a long way to defining how your season goes.

Take the Rangers friendly where we looked slow, lethargic, sluggish and devoid of ideas and creativity. It sort of set the tone for our season in many respects.

The 3 games played this week have seen all members of the squad mostly get game time, the teams scoring and our work rate improving game by game. Never mind the opposition, you have to work to achieve those things, so all in all, I am pretty happy with the way we are progressing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Well it depends how old the spaniel is and how many of them there are.

A springer would be a sterner test than a cocker .

Aye, but the cocker if its in the mood would ruin Hutch....we are safer with the springer. Cockers are like the Diego Costa or Edmundo of the dog world

Think pre season been pitched just right so far. Mostly about fitness, but also gaining momentum. 

The sides we've played have been honest and given us a game. Like to think the fact we've won comfortably speaks to our improvements rather  than the opposition. 

First few friendlies are just about minutes on the pitch and increasing sharpness. Builds up to the final friendly usually against superior opposition and should have the players hitting somewhere near peak by Reading.