Joao wants out according to the sun

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I think he is potentially a very good striker - had we used him properly (and his attitude / application been better) he could well be an £8 million player. As it is, half that with a sell on clause is probably realistic. 

Yes, I’d agree with that, but I think we’d have to be looking at a minimum of £5m

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Well a) why would we take the risk of taking a substantially lower initial figure in the hope that *maybe* he'll get a mega money move somewhere in the future (despite us not thinking he is first team material and that he isn't developing)? If we sold him for 3 million instead of 7, we would need him to sell for 12 million to make it back, even if it was a 30% clause.

and b) Man Utd only managed a 25% sell-on clause with Zaha, and that was with them taking a 7 million hit on what they'd paid to Palace.

It's a bit different with lower league players though rather than a player going from Manchester United.

If we could get 7m then of course we would take 7m. but If we insisted on 30% and the initial fee was low enough we would get takers.

They are gambling on a average championship striker not a premier league talent at a big club.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Maybe people can see why Bruce has left? He’s said on a number of occasions he needs to wheel and deal, we’ve got too many strikers and an unbalanced squad. But he can’t do this when we put these valuations on players. 

This summer we’ve seemingly had offers for both Rhodes and Joao, a great opportunity to raise funds and help with FFP whilst more importantly giving our manager more room to do his job. But we’ve rejected both offers. It must be incredibly frustrating for a manager. 

Crazy really. It was reported Bruce asked for player values to be dropped. Makes a lot of sense. You can’t have 6 highly paid strikers on your books in the Championship. 

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But Swansea and Preston aren’t hampered by FFP and don’t have a squad which needs evolving and trimming.

6 strikers is ridiculous. Take what you can for Joao and use the money to add to the midfield and wide areas where we lack quality.

I agree with the reason for selling, but that shouldn't de-value Joao. I think Lucas has a big season ahead of him. If he goes, so be it, but I really don't wanna lose him cheaply. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Maybe people can see why Bruce has left? He’s said on a number of occasions he needs to wheel and deal, we’ve got too many strikers and an unbalanced squad. But he can’t do this when we put these valuations on players. 

This summer we’ve seemingly had offers for both Rhodes and Joao, a great opportunity to raise funds and help with FFP whilst more importantly giving our manager more room to do his job. But we’ve rejected both offers. It must be incredibly frustrating for a manager. 

There might be something in this depends if it's true but if it is, it  could be one reason Bruce has gone, we all know what DC is like , very stubborn and IF Bruce wanted João out to make way for another player he'll not have been happy.

Guest Ash76
12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Maybe people can see why Bruce has left?

Bruce left because he's a cu nt

On Joao I think £8m is achievable, I'd certainly not be happy if he went for less than the £6m pigs just paid Preston for Robinson

Personally, Joao would be at the top of my list to retain.

Edited by Ash76

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

His agent perhaps? 

If it was they'd just say that, its nonsense. He posted loads of pics on Instagram on Saturday evening saying how pleased he was to be back playing and played with a smile.

5 minutes ago, Watto said:

There might be something in this depends if it's true but if it is, it  could be one reason Bruce has gone, we all know what DC is like , very stubborn and IF Bruce wanted João out to make way for another player he'll not have been happy.

Bruce is a big character. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

3 minutes ago, Watto said:

Bruce left for £ as he has all his career.

15 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I don't think it is. Hugill went for 10, Swansea just turned down 15 for McBurnie. With a little more consistency, Joao would be worth double the 8mil DC is holding out for. 

Oil McBurnie is 23 and scored 22 goals in just 1 season. Joao has scored 25 goals in 4 years and is 25 year old :laugh:

Of the out and out strikers, Joao is the only one with any pace, and enough attributes to improve Whether he will or not, who knows, if he gets a manager who will play him. If he goes, we will be left with a bunch of league one strikers, and Forestieri

A player of his inconsistency and age is a gamble signing for anyone.

Best case scenario is he scores 20 a season for the next 2 years and either fires a team to the Prem or someone comes in for him. By which point he’ll be 28? so you’d be delighted to get anything circa £15million. So then when you consider you’re initial investment, his wages, Wednesday’s cut, and any other leeches around the deal, you’d be very lucky to break even if you bought him for anything above £6million. 

In todays world of FFP teams are looking for value more than ever. At £2mill he’s a calculated risk, £4mill he’s 50/50 gamble and anything above that he’s a million to one shot.