Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I can’t believe people would turn their noses up at GVB. the best candidate mentioned by an absolute mile. 

He is good but plays different style do you really think we would have funds to get in players to suit his style? We have a couple of weeks before season team playing high pressing style we have got players in who suit way we are playing. We have easy start to season with fixtures last thing we need is trying to change style two weeks before season begins.

I can understand why you would like him but do you think he would go along with how we are playing? DC apparently wants someone who understands domestic scene so no real chance of him being appointed. We have been left in lurch and to get best out of situation you have to appoint coach who has used our current style of play. Current style has been very successful high work rate has been the way forward in last few years and not allowing other teams to settle. Those who have played different to this have not done well. It is not turning nose up in my case it is being practical and realising we are in difficult situation and if you do not want to write season off you have to exploit what we have got. Bullen understands what we are doing but if issues arise does not have wherewithal to resolve situation. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Yeah and you need to do some research.

 

Only Jokanivic could be classed as an international class player out of your list. Carvahal, Bielsa Farke and Santo have no full caps. Wagner has a handful for the USA and Karanka has a single cap for Spain.

 

Was aimed at ur second comment on the post not the first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:18, WalthamOwl said:

 

You wouldn’t have Iorfa in the team? 

I must admit I don't think Iorfa would be in my starting 11. He defo wouldn't as a CB. Think he's been great but Odubajo is just a different gravy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quist said:

He is good but plays different style do you really think we would have funds to get in players to suit his style? We have a couple of weeks before season team playing high pressing style we have got players in who suit way we are playing. We have easy start to season with fixtures last thing we need is trying to change style two weeks before season begins.

I can understand why you would like him but do you think he would go along with how we are playing? DC apparently wants someone who understands domestic scene so no real chance of him being appointed. We have been left in lurch and to get best out of situation you have to appoint coach who has used our current style of play. Current style has been very successful high work rate has been the way forward in last few years and not allowing other teams to settle. Those who have played different to this have not done well. It is not turning nose up in my case it is being practical and realising we are in difficult situation and if you do not want to write season off you have to exploit what we have got. Bullen understands what we are doing but if issues arise does not have wherewithal to resolve situation. 

What is his different style ?

 

Employing Gio but keeping Bullen as part of his staff will enable him to put his idea's across to our players. I would have thought he would love having ball players like Forestieri, Bannan Lee Hutch to work with. Would imagine his style be it more 433 than the 442 we have been playing would suit us.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2019 at 03:52, The Night-Owl said:

He's won the title and a couple of other trophies, and managed in the Champions League with Feyenoord. Pretty sure he'd have decent contacts or links. But the best thing about going for him would be weeing the Geordies and Ashley off because he was one of the managers who turned them down. It would be worth it just for that alone.

I'm not bothered about weeing them Off, I'm bothered about us getting the best manager we can. If GVB is that man then so be it.

 

So far I've not seen anyone who is head and shoulders above the rest of the field and I'm all over the place in my choice. Hughton top of the list but if he is ruling himself out I'm yet to be inspired.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, superowls23 said:

 

Was aimed at ur second comment on the post not the first

Maybe time for you to cut out the sarcasm and put some substance in your response.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Quist said:

He is good but plays different style do you really think we would have funds to get in players to suit his style? We have a couple of weeks before season team playing high pressing style we have got players in who suit way we are playing. We have easy start to season with fixtures last thing we need is trying to change style two weeks before season begins.

I can understand why you would like him but do you think he would go along with how we are playing? DC apparently wants someone who understands domestic scene so no real chance of him being appointed. We have been left in lurch and to get best out of situation you have to appoint coach who has used our current style of play. Current style has been very successful high work rate has been the way forward in last few years and not allowing other teams to settle. Those who have played different to this have not done well. It is not turning nose up in my case it is being practical and realising we are in difficult situation and if you do not want to write season off you have to exploit what we have got. Bullen understands what we are doing but if issues arise does not have wherewithal to resolve situation. 

 

Van Bronckhorst played in the UK for six years. If you want Bullen over him you are mental.

 

I love Lee and want him at the club but he shouldn't be given the manager's job.

 

It's complete pie in the sky about Van Bronckhorst but if we have a chance to get him we should do everything we can.

  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

What is his different style ?

 

Employing Gio but keeping Bullen as part of his staff will enable him to put his idea's across to our players. I would have thought he would love having ball players like Forestieri, Bannan Lee Hutch to work with. Would imagine his style be it more 433 than the 442 we have been playing would suit us.

We are playing high pressing style.

Go look at how his Feyenoord team played. Dutch football style is a lot different if you seriously think we can change styles in a couple of weeks or less I am amazed. 

If you think a manager comes in and just says carry on and does not try to put influence on things.

I am not against him or somebody like Genoisio but we would not being doing hem or ourselves at favour at this point in season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Quist said:

He is good but plays different style do you really think we would have funds to get in players to suit his style? We have a couple of weeks before season team playing high pressing style we have got players in who suit way we are playing.

 

11 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

What is his different style ?

 

The below is from a news story from when Rangers were after him.  I can't see any issue with us playing this way at all, we have the players and do a lot of this anyway?

 

We'll never get him!  :laugh:

 

 

WOULD HIS TACTICS TRANSLATE?

 

In contrast to many of his more esteemed compatriots, van Bronckhorst is a reactive manager. He is willing to vary his strategy in accordance with the opponent or situation at hand, and has shown a proclivity for switching systems.

His shape of preference is the 4-3-3, though he has in the past utilised a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2. This flexibility is something Caixinha was never truly able to instil at Rangers, and his side were worse off for it.

 

Defensively, van Bronckhorst likes to keep a relatively high back line, ensuring compactness and creating the necessary foundations for a midfield press. There is also a focus on retention of the shape, particularly when up against opponents with effective possession games.

In an attacking sense, he focuses on the wings and half-spaces to build moves. The deep-lying midfielder will often drop back in the right channel, allowing the right-back to push forward and attack the flank.

 

This particular movement would suit Rangers; in Ryan Jackthey have a defensive midfielder who is comfortable operating at right-back, while in James Tavernier they have an extremely forward-thinking right-back who is at his best in the opposition half.  Van Bronckhorst’s wingers are expected to cut in and attack the opponent’s defensive line, while the full-backs provide width. Often these players will overload and combine in wider areas, dragging the defence to one side before switching play to the other wing to take advantage of the space available there.

 

Considering the above, he would likely make good use of Daniel Candeias, a fast winger who is capable of taking on and beating his marker. He would also bring the best out of diminutive central midfielder Jason Holt, hard-working striker Alfredo Morelos and proactive goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

Rangers don’t need an idealist. They need a practical manager who offers tactical clarity, an ability to adjust and good man management. In van Bronckhorst they would get all of that and more.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I would love it to be GVB.

Not a chance in hell of it happening though. 

Pity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adem Poric said:

 

Van Bronckhorst played in the UK for six years. If you want Bullen over him you are mental.

 

I love Lee and want him at the club but he shouldn't be given the manager's job.

 

It's complete pie in the sky about Van Bronckhorst but if we have a chance to get him we should do everything we can.

I do not want Bullen and I am not mental.

 

The argument GVB played in this country for 6 years means he knows country. When he played here style of play has altered dramatically. We have now moved on to a style which has been successful in this league in last few years which is high work rate. You are not going to tell me Dutch football is played in this manner completely different. I have said in different thread due to short time scale between now and start of season would look for manager who can implement this style. Stendel is obvious one on the supposed short list who used these tactics. Others in betting could do this as well but not sure we could get them or if we keen on them.

I should add if sufficient time and funds were available I have no problem with GVB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Maybe time for you to cut out the sarcasm and put some substance in your response.

 

There wasnt any. 

 

It was aimed at the second part not the first. No sarcasm in that

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

 

 

The below is from a news story from when Rangers were after him.  I can't see any issue with us playing this way at all, we have the players and do a lot of this anyway?

 

We'll never get him!  :laugh:

 

 

WOULD HIS TACTICS TRANSLATE?

 

In contrast to many of his more esteemed compatriots, van Bronckhorst is a reactive manager. He is willing to vary his strategy in accordance with the opponent or situation at hand, and has shown a proclivity for switching systems.

His shape of preference is the 4-3-3, though he has in the past utilised a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2. This flexibility is something Caixinha was never truly able to instil at Rangers, and his side were worse off for it.

 

Defensively, van Bronckhorst likes to keep a relatively high back line, ensuring compactness and creating the necessary foundations for a midfield press. There is also a focus on retention of the shape, particularly when up against opponents with effective possession games.

In an attacking sense, he focuses on the wings and half-spaces to build moves. The deep-lying midfielder will often drop back in the right channel, allowing the right-back to push forward and attack the flank.

 

This particular movement would suit Rangers; in Ryan Jackthey have a defensive midfielder who is comfortable operating at right-back, while in James Tavernier they have an extremely forward-thinking right-back who is at his best in the opposition half.  Van Bronckhorst’s wingers are expected to cut in and attack the opponent’s defensive line, while the full-backs provide width. Often these players will overload and combine in wider areas, dragging the defence to one side before switching play to the other wing to take advantage of the space available there.

 

Considering the above, he would likely make good use of Daniel Candeias, a fast winger who is capable of taking on and beating his marker. He would also bring the best out of diminutive central midfielder Jason Holt, hard-working striker Alfredo Morelos and proactive goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

Rangers don’t need an idealist. They need a practical manager who offers tactical clarity, an ability to adjust and good man management. In van Bronckhorst they would get all of that and more.

Ok how long would it take him o alter our style of play?

 

I have not said it could not be done but it is fundamentally different to what we have been doing. I have not said he his bad manager or we do not have some players who could fit into his style. The problem is timing it took us several weeks to change way we played under previous change and this is more radical shift. I do not us to wast the season and think changing at his point could put knackers on it. Its not just his style but any manager who moves away from our current playing style will disrupt current plans.

 

Time to start using brain instead of just thinking with heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing we need is a new manager coming in and demanding that we play out from the back. We don’t have the players to do it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

The last thing we need is a new manager coming in and demanding that we play out from the back. We don’t have the players to do it

And dogmatically sticking to it like Jos.

 

Better to mix it up. Play out sometimes, knock it up others. No point consistently playing out against a high press unless you have Liverpool or Manc City standard defenders.

Edited by Beholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone honestly say 'We want GVB' or 'We want XYZ' ? It should have been apparent by now that DC plays his cards close to his chest. This is shown by the number of sudden announcements that come from the club.Very few are speculative, most are definite in that they are not so much statements from the club as announcements, and I don't think any of us can really say what way DC's mind works.

Having said that, for us to speculate that, as in the GVB affair, the manager plays a specific type of football , surely any manager looks at the staff he has at his disposal, and adjusts HIS style according to the way they play. To me the sign of a good manager is one who gets the best out of the players he's got.

Not having seen Feeynord play, I can only go on the results as we see them, and with a win% of over 60, this is not something to be sneezed at. Also, his contract finished in May 2019 so he is a free Agent, something that seems to suit DC's ethics.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there actually anything in this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You just never know, in my view.

 

GVB has an excellent CV.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a long term vision and not the usual quick fix if we are to be successful in getting promoted but more importantly staying there.

GVB with the long term backing of Mr Chansiri could be the the person to bring the vision to reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Is there actually anything in this? 

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...