2 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

What happened to that up and coming manager at Ipswich?

He ain't up and coming anymore.

True. But to be fair to Hurst he took on a poor job there, very bad career choice

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peacenocchio said:

What happened to that up and coming manager at Ipswich?

He ain't up and coming anymore.

In fairness Ipswich under Hurst was a very different situation. Not like big Mick or anyone after Hurst got anything decent out of them. Personally I think Hurst made a shocking decision taking that job, some jobs are just poisoned chalices Manu after Fergie, Newcastle anytime, Chelsea most of the time, Sunderland last three times over spring to mind. I think he'd do well with a balanced group of players like we have.   

I'd be worried, frankly. Done a great job at Lincoln but hasn't managed above League Two level yet and big clubs are a different matter, there's no guarantee that they'll succeed. How many "up and coming" managers at lower league sides have been a success at clubs higher up - compared to the number who've failed? Are highly paid players with PL experience going to command respect for an unknown guy? Look at Hurst at Ipswich, Jones at Stoke, great at their previous clubs but they did nothing at their new ones.

We've been there before taking a punt on managers who had brief success at smaller clubs that turned out to be flash in the pans - Wilson, Jewell, Turner, plus Sturrock and Laws to an extent.  Obviously somebody will cite Wilder as an exception but he didn't move straight from a lower league outfit to the Championship, he did well in the lower leagues and then built his way up from L1, again no guarantee that he'd be a success at a bigger club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

I'd be worried, frankly. Done a great job at Lincoln but hasn't managed above League Two level yet and big clubs are a different matter, there's no guarantee that they'll succeed. How many "up and coming" managers at lower league sides have been a success at clubs higher up - compared to the number who've failed? Are highly paid players with PL experience going to command respect for an unknown guy? Look at Hurst at Ipswich, Jones at Stoke, great at their previous clubs but they did nothing at their new ones.

We've been there before taking a punt on managers who had brief success at smaller clubs that turned out to be flash in the pans - Wilson, Jewell, Turner, plus Sturrock and Laws to an extent.  Obviously somebody will cite Wilder as an exception but he didn't move straight from a lower league outfit to the Championship, he did well in the lower leagues and then built his way up from L1, again no guarantee that he'd be a success at a bigger club.

Some of the managers who took us on after we were relegated from Premiership did not have much of a chance the team were starved of funds and we were run as second rate outfit.  

9 minutes ago, Quist said:

Some of the managers who took us on after we were relegated from Premiership did not have much of a chance the team were starved of funds and we were run as second rate outfit.  

You mean like Wilder? I think we need someone who knows the pyramid and can find the odd bargain from lower down. Plus his career to date has been promotion and more promotions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peterbottom14 said:

If we were going to take a risk on an unknown I’d rather it be Barnsley’s manager. 

Not on God's green earth would the Dingles do business with us after the Winnall deal.  That said, it all depends on what's in the bloke's contract.

Guest wilyfox

The progress we made in recent months shows we needed an experienced manager. Think we still do. Don't want a rookie ripping it apart. 

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

In fairness Ipswich under Hurst was a very different situation. Not like big Mick or anyone after Hurst got anything decent out of them. Personally I think Hurst made a shocking decision taking that job, some jobs are just poisoned chalices Manu after Fergie, Newcastle anytime, Chelsea most of the time, Sunderland last three times over spring to mind. I think he'd do well with a balanced group of players like we have.   

Some potential managers may well be looking at us and thinking we too are a bit of a poisoned chalice.