Odds For The New Manager

1 minute ago, paulrs said:

Abso-bloody-lutely. 

£4m apiece on Abdi and Van Aken but we presumably wouldn’t think about paying that for a top manager option.

You have to to ask yourself Who’s likely to have more impact on the club overall? 

Maybe its because a players value can increase massively whereas a manager’s never will... but even so 

Yes, but think how massively a manager can increase the value of the entire club if he wins promotion...

2 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

True. That's what's so baffling about this time around. Particularly with a reported 4m+ compensation kitty.

I dont think its through lack of trying believe me. If Hughton said he wanted 3m a year and that's all it was.  It would be paid and he would be here now.

1 minute ago, Theboylangers said:

Well it's one of the worst situations I can ever remember in terms of who is unemployed and potentially up for consideration as our new manager.

I also don't think I've ever seen Owlstalk so divided on the subject apart from we all seem to agree that it can't be Zola. 

For me, I'd like Paul Cook if we were willing to pay compo. 

If it's one of the unemployed, grudgingly Rowett. 

Pretty much how I see it.

If it’s true that my personal preferences (Hughton, GVB and Allardyce) aren’t in the frame... and if we don’t want to poach one of the Championships up and coming managers (Cook, Neil, Stendel) then from the list that’s left over I think Rowett would be my choice. 

Did superbly at Burton, well at Birmingham, okay at Derby but poorly at Stoke. Bit concerned his career seems to be going backwards but I’d probably liken us most to the situation at Derby and he did fine there, got them in the play-offs. Wouldn’t be upset if it was him. 

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I agree.. what are you on about?

Honestly - not sure.

My view of this is we need to get out of this league with the current player wages liability this year, or we continue to hemorrhage significant loses.

The ground sale is a one-off, to off-set the 17/18 loses and FFP 3-yr criteria of embargo and 10 point penalty by the EFL. 

We are losing gross £35m/annum which is unsustainable and which will breach FFP rules next season - is this incorrect?.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I dont think its through lack of trying believe me. If Hughton said he wanted 3m a year and that's all it was.  It would be paid and he would be here now.

But we shouldn't be limiting ourselves to out of work managers. 

1 minute ago, Animis said:

Honestly - not sure.

My view of this is we need to get out of this league with the current player wages liability this year, or we continue to hemorrhage significant loses.

The ground sale is a one-off, to off-set the 17/18 loses and FFP 3-yr criteria of embargo and 10 point penalty by the EFL. 

We are losing gross £35m/annum which is unsustainable and which will breach FFP rules next season - is this incorrect?.

Are you advocating one more gamble..or building sustainably ?

1 minute ago, Hitcat said:

Very true. But perhaps we dont see the point in paying a lot of money for someone who may be ok. 

Let's say in a bizarre universe Eddie Howe expressed an interest in us and Bournemouth wanted 5m compensation for him we wouldn't hesitate.

I believe it's all about risk and reward.

5 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Why who are we going for this time around  ?.

Well judging by the various rumours swilling around, someone from the managerial cesspit. After the Hughton rejection, I was at least a little bit relieved he was looking in the right direction.. now it appears it'll be the best of the rest.

Just now, paulrs said:

Pretty much how I see it.

If it’s true that my personal preferences (Hughton, GVB and Allardyce) aren’t in the frame... and if we don’t want to poach one of the Championships up and coming managers (Cook, Neil, Stendel) then from the list that’s left over I think Rowett would be my choice. 

Did superbly at Burton, well at Birmingham, okay at Derby but poorly at Stoke. Bit concerned his career seems to be going backwards but I’d probably liken us most to the situation at Derby and he did fine there, got them in the play-offs. Wouldn’t be upset if it was him. 

Was told by a mate who is a close friend of the rowatt family .....he’s got the job .....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

I agree,  problem there is the chairman .. he’s just not the kind of guy to be as underhanded as you need to be to take someone else’s manager 

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

Honestly - not sure.

We must have just let 5-10m of that go in free transfers. Wont be 35 this year but still to much to spend without getting money in first.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Very true. But perhaps we dont see the point in paying a lot of money for someone who may be ok. 

Let's say in a bizarre universe Eddie Howe expressed an interest in us and Bournemouth wanted 5m compensation for him we wouldn't hesitate.

I believe it's all about risk and reward.

It's more about the risk. The key words here are "may be ok" I'd much rather a may be ok than a not a chance.

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I agree,  problem there is the chairman .. he’s just not the kind of guy to be as underhanded as you need to be to take someone else’s manager 

Unfortunately this is very true.. I was hoping the Bruce debacle would have him sharpening his knives.

Edited by Hitcat

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Are you advocating one more gamble..or building sustainably ?

I look at this thinking we (fan base) all think we've endured crap for the last 3 years and are 'due' some good this season and beyond.

Now; I hear this 'sustainable planning for the long term' malarkey banded about, but it's rubbish isn't it? SB wanted and got a 1 yr contract - poo or bust - similar to his career to date. Why is this, and why did DC agree to this - it's because we are in poo or bust mode - look at the accounts!

We need a manager who can 'go for it' with these players we have - this season - not a 3yr plan - we simply don't have the luxury...

I look at this thinking we (fan base) all think we've endured crap for the last 3 years and are 'due' some good this season and beyond.

Now; I hear this 'sustainable planning for the long term' malarkey banded about, but it's rubbish isn't it? SB wanted and got a 1 yr contract - poo or bust - similar to his career to date. Why is this, and why did DC agree to this - it's because we are in poo or bust mode - look at the accounts!

We need a manager who can 'go for it' with these players we have - this season - not a 3yr plan - we simply don't have the luxury...

Great post that to be honest , don’t really understand all these people saying take someone on and let them ‘build’ or give it Bully and ‘re-asses’

we’re in the here and now and we don’t have the time, minimise the risk as much as possible , back him as much as we can and let’s go 

You might have a point.

But a lot of people (me included) are looking at the "bust" situation and afterwards... it's a tough one..