Odds For The New Manager

55 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

So does this mean you don't agree with the Rooney Rule unless it's extended to players as well?  I really can't follow your reasoning.

I don't agree with it. I think it should be the best candidates for the job that get interviewed no matter who they are. 

13 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I don't agree with it. I think it should be the best candidates for the job that get interviewed no matter who they are. 

Exactly right! That is true equality of opportunity. Recruit on merit. Appoint the person with the most appropriate skills and experience.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Ideally I would agree with you, but think something needed doing to address level of BAME representation amongst mangers and coaches. At the end of the day, the best candidate should still get the job.

2 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Ideally I would agree with you, but think something needed doing to address level of BAME representation amongst mangers and coaches. At the end of the day, the best candidate should still get the job.

But what if no one from the BAME community registered any interest in the job ? Are you not allowed to hire your preferred candidate until someone from the BAME lot has been interviewed and possibly rejected ? There are way too many flaws in rules like this to make them effective at all. 

I don't want to derail the fred by taking it into the realms of political correctness, so please don't think I am being ignorant towards you by saying that's my last post on the subject.

UTO SDS

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Agreed.

Get the best manager for the job, end of.  It's not a tick the box exercise.  

51 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

But what if no one from the BAME community registered any interest in the job ? Are you not allowed to hire your preferred candidate until someone from the BAME lot has been interviewed and possibly rejected ? There are way too many flaws in rules like this to make them effective at all. 

I don't want to derail the fred by taking it into the realms of political correctness, so please don't think I am being ignorant towards you by saying that's my last post on the subject.

UTO SDS

Agreed - interesting discussion for another thread on another day perhaps.

• Thanks 1