Odds For The New Manager

That people want Bullen simply baffles me. He has a long association with the club. He cares about the club, I mean, you could say this about Tango. You could say it about me. I have spent an unhealthy part of my life since 1977 worrying about the club. There just is nothing there to indicate he could manage at this level. It's just weird. 

6 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

That people want Bullen simply baffles me. He has a long association with the club. He cares about the club, I mean, you could say this about Tango. You could say it about me. I have spent an unhealthy part of my life since 1977 worrying about the club. There just is nothing there to indicate he could manage at this level. It's just weird. 

As I say, Wednesdayites are among the most sentimental in the football league. We value loyalty and those who try hard more than those who are actually good at what they do. It's probably a factor in why we have been poo for so long. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

What differentiates somebody like Frank Lampard, for example, from Lee Bullen?

Or even Zidane before he took the Madrid job first time?

Ok, they had better playing careers, but what would you want to see to demonstrate that an ex player would be a good manager?

Edited by emersonthome

10 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

What apart from his 8 games as a caretaker, near 300 games as an assistant manager, a professional footballer for nearly 20 years, club captain and I assume, a qualified professional coach.

Just saying, all managers start somewhere.  Some will be successful, some will not. If you compared his career to Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard most would say that successful players don't necessarily become successful managers.  Some have had success managerially and never even played professionally.

Playing devils advocate, just sayin...

5 minutes ago, emersonthome said:

What differentiates somebody like Frank Lampard, for example, from Lee Bullen?

Or even Zidane before he took the Madrid job first time?

Ok, they had better playing careers, but what would you want to see to demonstrate that an ex player would be a good manager?

And having a great playing career doesn’t necessarily make you a good coach. Think Bobby Charlton

23 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

^^^^^^^^ 100%

YEP

van Bronkhorst is still the standout candidate to me. Young, hungry, done well with his first club and a figure who would command respect.

Daniel Stendel's done well with Barnsley. I like his style of play, that Kloppish gegenpress, would love to see Wednesday play like that.
Chris Hughton. The safest choice. Solid manager, been there, done it.

David Moyes. Despite being a popular figure to do down, was a great manager for over 500 games at everton, and his man utd stint wasnt that bad in hindsight.

Ian Holloway. Had a couple of promotions, so knows how to do it, but had a couple of rubish clubs lately. Seems an honourable fellow tho, so that'd be nice.

Danny Cowley. A bit of a gamble given his lack of experience at this level, but like to attack but keeps an organised defense and has been successful so far.

NOPE

Garry Monk. dont really care for him. Had one good season with Leeds, powered by Chris Wood being unplayable. Other than that he's been mediocre and has a habit of getting in a strop with chairmen.

Zola.. Nope. Love him as a guy and an absolutely wonderful player, but he just doesn't have even a hint a proven record as a manager.

Chris Coleman.. setting aside the freakish events of euro 2016.. he's been a failure everywhere. Wasn't awful at Fulham i guess, but that was 15 years ago.

Nigel Pearson.. he's ok. but tends to fall out with charmen a lot, including his Thai chairman at Leicester.. doesn't seem a good omen. Pass.

Bullen.. love him, but no. Seen nothing to suggest he can do the job long term. And wouldn't want him to fail, get sacked and not be with us anymore.

Karanka. Tempramental. Too defensive.
Pulis. Cantankerous waster who clings to the dregs of the premier league.

My worry is Chansiri getting taken in by one of these jokers.

Coleman impressing him with some bo11ocks PowerPoint presentation.

I don't think Bullen is going to be the man for the job. But id rather have him be caretaker for a bit than appoint some of the names linked with the post. 

Edited by SiJ

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

DC should and hopefully will be doing everything he can to get in Hughton or GVB. We need an appointment that will pull the club and fans in the same direction. Giving the job to Bullen for example will just completely split the fan base. 

Hughton isn’t coming here pal 

What is this continuous chatter about Hughton?

If I've understood correctly, he himself has said it is not the right time for him to come here. Has something changed, or am I mistaken?