Odds For The New Manager

1 minute ago, Hitcat said:

If I was a betting man, I'd lump on Moyes or Ranieri.

Both careers on the slide, Moyes living off past failure at a big club. Ranieri, while performed a miracle at Leicester, failed at his last two clubs and just a transient manager now chasing the money. 

Neither offers any immediate impact or indication they could build success.

5 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

I'd love it if we really are considering GVB. Although I see the sense in the likes of Hughton, Cook and Neil. I'm more excited by the likes of GVB; Arteta, Vieira, Genesio and Tedesco, etc. On one hand I'd like us to be smart and quick about it but the more I think about it the more I would love it, if DC decided to make an ambitious statement of intent or a clever forward thinking appointment by appointing someone with pedigree or going for a young manager/coach with big club contacts and links.

GVB did well but not sure what he could bring to club in players, Dutch league very hard to find bargains and not what it was. Of the names yyou mentioned Genesio is the one with contacts Lyon always buy well and have legendary youth system. Ndombele was picked up cheaply last year after being on loan 12 months now sold for best part of £50 million. Always a chance of bargain in French league lots of good players and he knows it like back of his hand. Think he his good tactician too. Folks argue we would not get them but Championship can now aract good managers Bielsa,  Cocu etc.

• Like 1

Just now, prowl said:

I do have a sneaking feeling that DC will surprise us all with the appointment and not in a bad way. It could well be someone like Genesio (maybe not him), but someone we wouldn't think we would have a chance of attracting. Someone way above our expectations. I just can't see him going for a journeyman. It will be someone with a track record in continental football at a high level who wants to break in to the English game. The wages will make our eyes water.

I think the loss of our previous manager will galvanise DC, he will want to get promoted more than ever to stuff it to Bruce and keep the goodwill of the fans. 

I hope I'm right. 

That's my thinking too, although it's hard to read what DC will actually do or what he's actually thinking and football in general is unpredictable. For once I think we'll be forward thinking and do something that will make others really take notice. I hope my hunch and good feeling, is on the money this time, and a disappointed and determined DC will make a statement of intent like along the lines of your comment or even a forward thinking high profile young coach with top contacts and big club links would be a statement too. Hope we're right, as I genuinely think DC will be disappointed with losing Bruce and he'll with the right intentions want to get this appointment right.

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Both careers on the slide, Moyes living off past failure at a big club. Ranieri, while performed a miracle at Leicester, failed at his last two clubs and just a transient manager now chasing the money. 

Neither offers any immediate impact or indication they could build success.

I don't disagree. But they kind of fit the Steve Bruce mould if that's what Big Chans is after.

5 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I have a feeling Poolis will be appointed 

Just put my free 5 pound bet on him at 18/1 - megson only has one mate in football and if he was there it’s bound to be because Tone has asked him to do a report for him ...

2 minutes ago, elvin parsnip said:

Just put my free 5 pound bet on him at 18/1 - megson only has one mate in football and if he was there it’s bound to be because Tone has asked him to do a report for him ...

FFS turns out it was Dowie ! Whoever can’t tell the difference between two ugly ginger blokes owes me a fiver - glad it was my free bet 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quist said:

GVB did well but not sure what he could bring to club in players, Dutch league very hard to find bargains and not what it was. Of the names yyou mentioned Genesio is the one with contacts Lyon always buy well and have legendary youth system. Ndombele was picked up cheaply last year after being on loan 12 months now sold for best part of £50 million. Always a chance of bargain in French league lots of good players and he knows it like back of his hand. Think he his good tactician too. Folks argue we would not get them but Championship can now aract good managers Bielsa,  Cocu etc.

Yeah, that's true the Championship can attract high profile managers. I think people are forgetting that after Rangers and Arsenal, GVB played for Barcelona. He should have numerous contacts in the game of Dutch descent and of various nationalities from his time playing for the Dutch, over here and from his time in Spain. He did very well in a short time for Feyenoord, whoever gets him, will get a good young coach with pedigree, potential and not doubt with contacts. Genesio, is another interesting name too, along with Tedesco, they'd have good links and knowledge of players, clubs and academies from Leagues that produces players that can adapt to the game over here. Whilst I'd also be considering and excited by recently retired players turned coaches and managers, that have got good links to big clubs, such as the likes of Arteta and Vieira, and others that have recently gone into coaching. If we're ambitious and smart, there is the opportunity to get a very exciting and interesting appointment.

Benitez and Bielsa were/are happy enough with the championship. It’s proven to be a stepping stone to the PL, see Derby and SWFC.  Hopefully someone with ambition can see that a good season with us will give them that opportunity in the future

Edited by Owls-Fan

6 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Yeah, that's true the Championship can attract high profile managers. I think people are forgetting that after Rangers and Arsenal, GVB played for Barcelona. He should have numerous contacts in the game of Dutch descent and of various nationalities from his time playing for the Dutch, over here and from his time in Spain. He did very well in a short time for Feyenoord, whoever gets him, will get a good young coach with pedigree, potential and not doubt with contacts. Genesio, is another interesting name too, along with Tedesco, they'd have good links and knowledge of players, clubs and academies from Leagues that produces players that can adapt to the game over here. Whilst I'd also be considering and excited by recently retired players turned coaches and managers, that have got good links to big clubs, such as the likes of Arteta and Vieira, and others that have recently gone into coaching. If we're ambitious and smart, there is the opportunity to get a very exciting and interesting appointment.

I actually think its only last couple of ears are important. Football is such a fluid game people move around and although you know people may not be able to help. Jos and Coco had no real links from days managing as too much time had elapsed. JL had been watching a bit of football in Holland and brought in JP but not linked to none in Germany. When GVB at Arsenal how many still here when he was their same with his time at Barcelona. His standing in game will help with recruitment. Could cope with him but would be delighted with Genesio. edesco did extremely well in first season and would be another good call. 

Haven’t really kept an eye on this market cus it’s full of daft names that people have asked Sky to put on for a giggle,  but didn’t notice Chris Coleman yesterday ? In to 12/1 ?  Who’s had a few quid 

On 15/07/2019 at 12:16, Philb125 said:

Only two on the list you’ve captured that I’d be keen on. That’s a sorry state of affairs. 

TWO! if you can see 2 for god's sake tell us will ya! I can only see one and apparently he's turned it down.

we might as well give it to someone in the crowd as a 'caretaker' until someone with some ability turns up.

16 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

The most interesting names are the seemingly unrealistic or out of reach names (i.e. the likes of GVB; Genesio and Arteta, along with Hughton) and the most interesting realistic names are the likes of Cook; Stendel and the Cowley's). I'd look at the likes of those mentioned as unrealistic and realistic within the betting or similar to them, that aren't yet in the betting. 

If DC is understandably disappointed by being messed around with Bruce, then I would think, he'd try hard to get this appointment right and/or for it potentially being a kind of statement of intent or interesting appointment.

The rest I'd avoid if I were DC, especially the many out of work usual names that can't find jobs and the merry-go-round job hopping types. Plus the obscure Carlos and Jos types.

It might have to be an out of the box but smart or forward thinking type of appointment. Foreign but with pedigree or already over here or with contacts plus recently retired players turned coaches or up and coming EFL managers, might be the best ways to go about it, looking at the betting field and managerial appointment trends.

what's stendel done?