Odds For The New Manager

2 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Yes clearly I do...

But these are winnable games.

Thats all Im saying.

If you want to stroll down memories cast your mind back to burton. We lost 3-0 Bullen was in tears almost after the game. Thats what I dont want to see happen again.

Sir Alex was close to tears when City thumped United 6-1 at Old Trafford, but those games happen even to the best of them. I won't lose sleep over Bullen losing 3-0 to Burton from 18 months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Don't think Bullen is in the running personally, he is the bookies man and has  been for some time, DC could have appointed him at any time but he hasn't and that speaks volumes.

I honestly think we are waiting for our man.

Don't know for certain one way or another but I'd have thought Bully would now at least have worked himself into contention and consideration? This is now his third spell as caretaker, he's twice held the fort since Jos and our form since Jos is all the more remarkable considering the upheaval during that time.

Although to be honest, my ideal choice would have been someone high profile or on the rise, Bully's earnt himself a shot at it and it appears to me to be his to lose now. If he doesn't get it, the new man will have to be someone high profile or doing well somewhere to justify not giving it to Bully. I think he's going to get it eventually, he seems like the right man at the right time but if it doesn't work or he doesn't get it I'd go for someone like Cook or Cowley or a high profile young foreign manager.

Edited by The Night-Owl

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I hope not. 
Think if we are bringing in a new manager then must give him leeway to bring in his own coaches.
If that doesn't include see a new role for Lee Bullen then so be it.
Yes Lee Bullen is very popular with us all but the club don't owe him a job for life. No room for sentiment in football.

22 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Don’t think it’s up to the new manager tbh.

I think most clubs nowadays have a coaching set-up in place & a new manager brings in a couple of “his” people to compliment the team already there. I can understand the confusion as obviously this modern way is new to us. It helps when you sack a manger you don’t have to pay off & then recruit a whole team of people each time.

3 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Maybe before when Bullen didn’t throw his name in the hat. Another manager may not feel comfortable working with someone that quite a lot of fans think should be manager now. Be awkward if we have a bad run and everyone’s saying we should have gave it to someone on your coaching staff. Don’t think it’s clear cut Bullen stays this time. 

You may have a point, I just think because he values Bullen and knows he can be trusted, Chansiri may insist he stays as part of any new managers coaching set-up. Unless it’s a deal breaker of course. 

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

You may have a point, I just think because he values Bullen and knows he can be trusted, Chansiri may insist he stays as part of any new managers coaching set-up. Unless it’s a deal breaker of course. 

I think if Bullen doesn’t get the job this time he never will. If he values Bullen and trusts him just give him the job! Bully has aspirations to be a manager and that may end up being elsewhere. I think if Bullen doesn’t get the job he won’t be here under the new coaching department. 

1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

I think if Bullen doesn’t get the job this time he never will. If he values Bullen and trusts him just give him the job! Bully has aspirations to be a manager and that may end up being elsewhere. I think if Bullen doesn’t get the job he won’t be here under the new coaching department. 

I like Bully and he’s never let us down, I just don’t think long term he’s the man for the job. I suppose I’d like the best of both worlds with a new manager & Bullys services retained. Like you say I think if he does have managerial aspirations he may have to fulfill them somewhere else which would be a shame as the events of the past month show how much having a character like LB around is invaluable.

Just now, Yellowbelly said:

I like Bully and he’s never let us down, I just don’t think long term he’s the man for the job. I suppose I’d like the best of both worlds with a new manager & Bullys services retained. Like you say I think if he does have managerial aspirations he may have to fulfill them somewhere else which would be a shame as the events of the past month show how much having a character like LB around is invaluable.

He’s not my first choice either but circumstances have changed. I wanted someone proven, it seems the proven manager we wanted Hughton didn’t want the job, coincidentally got the Newcastle job under very similar circumstances as a caretaker! They’ve all got to start somewhere and the reward for us is greater than the risk. 

2 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

Right so you didnt start the season absolutely thinking this is the best run of fixtures to start the season we could have asked for?

Or you started it thinking OMG we are going to be bottom of table? 

Seriously even Bullen would have been licking his lips knowing these games are more than winnable.

Im sure if the first 6 were cardiff fulham stoke hull leeds and wba then most fans would have been crying chocolate tears

Completely disagree when people keep saying this side is easier than this etc. Its arrogant to think teams are weaker than you. This is the the championship , there are no easy games all teams should be treated with the same respect, attitude of mind is vital otherwise you will get rightly bitten on the posterior!!

31 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

like Bully and he’s never let us down, I just don’t think long term he’s the man for the job

When did we last have a long term manager? And what makes you think we get one this time. Come to think of it, which clubs..especially in the championship have had a long term manager.

None on the list look long term to me.

Nah, no such thing as a right fit long termer, that just happens by default...if very lucky

Guest Ferkorf
1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

Completely disagree when people keep saying this side is easier than this etc. Its arrogant to think teams are weaker than you. This is the the championship , there are no easy games all teams should be treated with the same respect, attitude of mind is vital otherwise you will get rightly bitten on the posterior!!

On paper the first 6 are easier than the 6 after anybody would agree with that even Lee Bullen himself.

My point is if they give him the job after getting points from the first few games of reading, Barnsley, millwall and luton then that would be a poor decision, very poor.

If they are going with Bullen I'd rather them give him a lot longer, by all means give him a chance give him the tougher games. But he will get thrown under the bus first loss by our so called fans.

Lets face facts if he would have lost the first two it would be pure meltdown on here now begging for pulis rowett stendal cowley etc.

1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

Sorry I disagree.

Imagine you are in contention for a play off place last year and there are 3 games left who would you rather play Norwich, The Pigs and Leeds or Ipswich, Bolton and the mini pigs.

Games don't always go with form particularly for us but the first 3 are definitely going to be more challenging the others.

I agree that there are no easy games but some are easier than others. Even the poor teams deserve respect as you rightly say.

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Imagine you are in contention for a play off place last year and there are 3 games left who would you rather play Norwich, The Pigs and Leeds or Ipswich, Bolton and the mini pigs.

By that time its a bit easier to judge who are poor, mediocre or strong.

Would think Reading thought...at least we have a winnable home game to start..same thoughts for Barnsley I would think

Caretaker is temporary, likely to be replaced at any time and more than likely sooner rather than later.  A permanent appointment carries more authority, ok it might not be forever but he's going to be around a good while. If things are going wrong I don't think the caretaker carries as much authority as a proper manager.

It's not a problem while things are going great but if we hit a bad patch it might.

I'm happy for Lee to carry on a bit longer but at some stage in the near future we need to either give it to him properly or find a new manager. 

Once we have a permanent manager we can fill out any gaps in the management structure.

4 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

But no matter what manager we had in charge at the start of the season we should have expected to win most of our first 6 games with the players we have. 

Preston away is the only tricky one where we usually play crap.

Hudders away on 15th of sept is when the real season starts and thats when poo will hit the fan no doubt. Thats when we will need a manager in.

Thats when Bullen will be tested and hopefully wont end up in meltdown like did last year

I totally agree with all but one of these points. No-one can dispute the fact that Bully is well liked by fans and players alike, but although the press reports by local journo's seem to be half written by the club and Bully seems to have been convinced by somebody that he now has the qualities required to be head-coach/manager/gaffer, what has really changed since he last told us that he was not ready to manage a club like Sheffield Wednesday? Half of me would love to see him given a go at managing the club and the other half of me screams no, he is not ready. The high levels of expectation that Wednesdayites were feeling before Bruce jumped ship, were largely down to the fact that we had probably the most experienced and proven manager at this level with the most Championship to Premiership promotions on his CV and a whole host of contacts throughout the game from his time as a player and manager at various clubs. Bullen does not even have a managerial career to compare with that, so DC's criteria for new manager would have to change drastically for him to consider Lee Bullen as his prime target. For that reason alone I think that Bullen is being set up as a safe pair of hands to stand in for the new man and will gladly step aside once a suitable replacement has been found. Another major detail in the Hillsborough feel good factor, is that the majority if not all the players that we have signed this summer have been getting us all excited by their application, skill and speed, but again were probably all under consideration (possibly not Paul Jones), by Bruce, with preliminary talks and details already sorted and followed through by DC and his backroom staff after Bruce had gone. The tactics and style of play falls in with what Bruce had detailed as the way to play with this set of players and Bullen has admitted that nothing has really changed since Bruce left, with him reiterating those ideas and keeping his own words of encouragement and advice to a minimum. This is all great until we come up against a team that we are not expected to beat, which brings me to the one point that I disagree with. Poo should not be fired at fans at all, but especially if I am going to be the fan targeted by the poo flinger. Muck spreading Huddersfielders may go along with that kind of thing, but I do not!

:PhotoEditor_20190811_181128351:

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

Guest Ferkorf
15 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Bully seems to have been convinced by somebody that he now has the qualities required to be head-coach/manager/gaffer, what has really changed since he last told us that he was not ready to manage a club like Sheffield Wednesday? Half of me would love to see him given a go at managing the club and the other half of me screams no, he is not ready. The high levels of expectation that Wednesdayites were feeling...

How long would you give him?

In my eyes, as I've mentioned I believe we have an arguably easy run of fixtures and it would be too easy for a chairman to hand the job over. On the other hand if hes going to go a full 10 or 12 games so we can get a very good understanding of what hes capable of then we would most likely need to bring in a new coach or two anyway as by all accounts we have been left a bit short since bruce and the others left.

Then also by that time if it turns out sour its egg on chansiris face for not setting anyone on in the first place.

35 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

When did we last have a long term manager? And what makes you think we get one this time. Come to think of it, which clubs..especially in the championship have had a long term manager.

None on the list look long term to me.

Nah, no such thing as a right fit long termer, that just happens by default...if very lucky

CC was here two & half years, which is in the ball park of long term in football.