Odds For The New Manager

Guest wilyfox
14 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Seemingly this morning, this now appears to be true 

I take no satisfaction from calling it. I wanted Hughton. He was by far the standout candidate. But we've just lost one uncommitted manager. Last thing we need is another we have to persuade to take the job. I always felt we wanted Hughton more than Hughton wants us. 

13 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I take no satisfaction from calling it. I wanted Hughton. He was by far the standout candidate. But we've just lost one uncommitted manager. Last thing we need is another we have to persuade to take the job. I always felt we wanted Hughton more than Hughton wants us. 

IF he's turned it down twice now if stuff is to be believe what is it he's turned down  ?   I have my suspicions 

Guest oz_owl
Just now, steelowl said:

IF he's turned it down twice now if stuff is to be believe what is it he's turned down  ?   I have my suspicions 

He's holding out for a corporate box.  Hooper probably doesn't need his anymore.

14 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

This may not be the case, can anyone prove that he has been approached or turned down the job.

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Wife and Four children based in the south of England.  Does he wait for a better option closer to home.  A young hungry manager would make the move maybe someone financially secure can afford to wait for other opportunities 

Edited by rawowl

28 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

With the Hughton and Rowett "news" the market shifted - Rowett odds tumbled and Hughton drifted.  On Sky Bet Hughton has come back in to 1/2 now.  Which is weird if him turning it down is from a genuine source - you'd expect the money to dry up for him completely.

Surely you'd expect him to disappear completely if he's stated he has turned it down 

• Like 1

Guest oz_owl
Just now, poite said:

Surely you'd expect him to disappear completely if he's stated he has turned it down 

He wouldn't be removed from the list as there's still a chance people will put money on him.  Like calling The Voice voting lines after they've closed.  You still get charged, but it won't count.

25 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Thanks for the reply. Gutted. Any idea where we turn from here?

All I got this morning was a message saying plan B more likely than plan A. Plan A was Hughton and we'd made a genuine attempt at him. Plan B is a secret...... Or still in the early stages of defining :unsure:

3 minutes ago, rawowl said:

Wife and Four children based in the south of England.  Does he wait for a better option closer to home.  A young hungry manager would make the move maybe someone financially secure can afford to wait for other opportunities 

I think he sees himself on the premier league ladder, and NOT the championship one.

1 minute ago, Semedo's ferret said:

All I got this morning was a message saying plan B more likely than plan A. Plan A was Hughton and we'd made a genuine attempt at him. Plan B is a secret...... Or still in the early stages of defining :unsure:

Plan B is Rowett it’s a done deal 

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

It is odd isn't it - if he has been approached, and he's waited days to confirm he's not interested he must have been at least open to the possibility of becoming the manager. What indeed has been offered for him to turn it down? I can't imagine it's money.

My worry is DC has reacted to SB's actions and potentially inserted a fair few restrictive clauses that understandably protects SWFC. They may be too protective for some of the candidates. My view is if we want a high-calibre manager with football-wide respect and contacts, we may have to just accept they could walk if offered another 'bigger' job. Isn't this just reality?

Guest oz_owl
2 minutes ago, Animis said:

It is odd isn't it - if he has been approached, and he's waited days to confirm he's not interested he must have been at least open to the possibility of becoming the manager. What indeed has been offered for him to turn it down? I can't imagine it's money.

My worry is DC has reacted to SB's actions and potentially inserted a fair few restrictive clauses that understandably protects SWFC. They may be too protective for some of the candidates. My view is if we want a high-calibre manager with football-wide respect and contacts, we may have to just accept they could walk if offered another 'bigger' job. Isn't this just reality?

Could be as simple as Hughton being the first choice all along.  He was happy with the terms offered, but wants time to discuss with family, think about whether dropping back to Championship is right for him or not, maybe he's thinking he'll have 1 more job before retiring and wants to be only at top level?  Whatever the reasons DC says fine, you're my guy, I'm on holiday for a week so take that time to think about it because I want this to be right for both of us.  In the mean time I have full confidence in Bullen to keep things ticking over and manage for a game or two if required.

Whilst that is going on DC is making "plan B" plans, talking to others (Coleman? Rowett?) and making sure he knows where to go if Hughton says no.

The suggestion now is that it's plan B.  I doubt the delay has been a period of doing nothing at all, and I suspect there will be someone in charge after the weekend, one way or another.