Odds For The New Manager

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

I'd give it Bullen!

Get a couple.of experienced coaches in alongside him.

Appease the fans by signing Hector!

Think most of us would accept Bullen if it meant we signed Hector!

Think you might be wrong!

11 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I'd give it Bullen!

Get a couple.of experienced coaches in alongside him.

Appease the fans by signing Hector!

Think most of us would accept Bullen if it meant we signed Hector!

It’s not as simple as that, I can’t imagine for a second Hector would come to Hillsborough with Bullen in charge, a good season with us has dramatically raised his profile, he will believe he can continue his improvement and I think he may have considered us under SB (finances allowing), but not with Bullen in charge.

I think it’s got to the stage now where just about anybody could be appointed as our next manager. I think all the bets placed so far have been on educated guesses rather than being based on cast iron information?

It’s looking to me that the next manager will be more an appointment in the Carvalhal/Lukuhay mould rather than Bruce. Obviously it’s an appointment that will either work or not. That said the longer things continue as they are the more likely Bullen will be appointed. Let’s face it, he’s been caretaker three times and if he doesn’t get it then there will be an expectation from the Chairman that Bullen remains as part of the coaching staff so at some stage the job may as well be his?

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think it’s got to the stage now where just about anybody could be appointed as our next manager. I think all the bets placed so far have been on educated guesses rather than being based on cast iron information?

It’s looking to me that the next manager will be more an appointment in the Carvalhal/Lukuhay mould rather than Bruce. Obviously it’s an appointment that will either work or not. That said the longer things continue as they are the more likely Bullen will be appointed. Let’s face it, he’s been caretaker three times and if he doesn’t get it then there will be an expectation from the Chairman that Bullen remains as part of the coaching staff so at some stage the job may as well be his?

Carvalhal as in 2 seasons - 2 play offs? 

Or

Jos drops best players and totally clueless 

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

Carvalhal as in 2 seasons - 2 play offs? 

Or

Jos drops best players and totally clueless 

Both came to the club with a reputation for being good organisers, and tactically astute. We saw it from the former, but not from the latter. Having said that, both were hindered by a horrendous injury crisis in season three

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Both came to the club with a reputation for being good organisers, and tactically astute. We saw it from the former, but not from the latter. Having said that, both were hindered by a horrendous injury crisis in season three

'tactically astute' until the play off final, what a game to 'freeze' in.

22 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If we were still under an embargo then Bullen or an obscure long out of work Carlos or Jos type or a Rowett type, would have been more likely. But now we're out of the embargo, I think we will go for a more ambitious appointment. If we can't bring in Hughton, I reckon DC will probably follow the latest trends of managerial appointments by going for a younger manager; someone on the rise, a coach/assistant or a high profile foreign manager. Bullen is more suited to remaining among the coaching staff and not as a permanent manager. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Carlos had his moments but by the third season had lost the plot.

In fact, his second season was by and large like watching paint dry, though it was effective. 

Jos seemingly never had a clue from day one. A few decent spells aside, he was all over the place tactically. Never seen a manager change formations/line ups on such a regular basis. 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Carlos had his moments but by the third season had lost the plot.

In fact, his second season was by and large like watching paint dry, though it was effective. 

Jos seemingly never had a clue from day one. A few decent spells aside, he was all over the place tactically. Never seen a manager change formations/line ups on such a regular basis. 

Yes, I agree with all of that. My point was, prior to joining us, both coaches were respected for their tactical approach, often on a budget. I very much enjoyed Carlos’s first season, but wasn’t clear why he changed tactics for season two. Well, I suppose he did it to give us greater control of the game, by getting us extra bodies in the middle of the park, by using inverted wingers. 

Like you, I hated it, so much so, that I stopped attending home matches as a regular. From his point of view though, getting to the play offs again, despite a mid season injury crisis, will be viewed as a success. Sadly, in season three, it was just more of the same, with the manager refusing to change tactics again. The less said about Jos, the better

32 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

'tactically astute' until the play off final, what a game to 'freeze' in.

I still think that dropping Lopez who was having a great run in the team, for Hutchinson, was one of the reasons we didn't turn up

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I still think that dropping Lopez who was having a great run in the team, for Hutchinson, was one of the reasons we didn't turn up

He always reverted to certain favs when it mattered, whether they were fit or not.

Dave Jones wasnt for everyone but he featured in pretty much every game when we won 6 in a row in 2016/2017...

He was then dropped for Hutchinson in the play offs. 

Most bizarre was Carlos playing a barely fit Lee, Hutch etc., in a nothing game with Fulham.