Odds For The New Manager

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not a completely different argument. Any manager who comes in has the challenge of not being able to bring in players and re-shape the squad. Until we are in a position to do that we are a mid table Championship side as the previous two seasons have shown.

And no United didn’t have a poo squad. They had a solid team assembled by Wilder and last season improved on it by signing one of the best young GKs in the league, a quality centre half for 4m in Egan and one of the best midfielders in the league in Norwood who had now been promoted from the division three seasons in a row. 

When we’re talking about 8th to 18th but you’re going to show us all that we won’t be promoted at Christmas... it’s a different argument. I’ll look forward to the collective shrug when you bump the thread.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You said they didn’t have a great squad on paper, but on paper i’d say it looked pretty decent.

Yep they did finish 10th. Then the following summer they addressed the weaknesses in their side, strengthened and gained promotion. We still need to address our weaknesses from the 2015/16 season which was a good 3 years ago now. Until that is done properly, we are not getting promoted.

How is saying they didn't have a great squad on paper, the same as saying it was a poo squad? 

It isn't the same. 

You should get a job in PR with this level of spin. 

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Beginning of last season would you have swapped their squad for ours or would you have swapped their manager for ours.

Missing the point. Whilst we have a lot of good individual players, I don’t think we’ve recruited with a plan in mind. I think Bruce has done well in bringing in Harris and Odubajo to tackle our issue with pace, but I’m not going to go over the top with these signings. Free transfers with questionable injury records. Hopefully they can perform consistently over a season.

Still we have too many strikers, all 6 have qualities but i’m not convinced any of them will get 20 goals a season. Which is ridiculous when you think about it. None of the strikers have pace or play on the shoulder, which is a shame as this is a good quality to have up top.

Our midfield lacks goals and physicality over a full season. Bannan is great but doesn’t score enough and if you line up in a 4-4-2 you will get overrun because by the better teams, because to put it bluntly he isn’t physical enough. Lee was great in 2016, 3 years on he’s had a bad injury and missed 1 and a half seasons. Asking a lot for him to come back and be the same player in my opinion. Hutch great when fit, but if you’re relying on him to play a full season you’re in trouble. Joey not up to it. Midfield ideally needs two more additions to it - as fitness remains an issue with two of those players and for me the quality over a season just isn’t there.

Full backs don’t get enough assists or crosses into the box. Hopefully Odubajo will rectify this, but Palmer and Fox don’t get forward enough and generally are very average footballers. In central defence Lees looked great next to a calming influence in Loovens and Hector. Perhaps Borner can be their replacement, would feel more confident signing an experienced player at this level rather than an untried centre back from the German second tier. 

So if you asked me the question, I’d probably say yes. United may not have spent much money and done it on the ‘cheap’, but the balance and robustness of the squad trumps ours every time. I’ve made it no secret that I think the squad has had glaring deficiencies for some time, despite their often individual brilliance and ability. 

Still time to get the embargo lifted and the recruitment right. Feel less confident on recruitment now Bruce has gone mind. But let’s hope.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Missing the point. Whilst we have a lot of good individual players, I don’t think we’ve recruited with a plan in mind. I think Bruce has done well in bringing in Harris and Odubajo to tackle our issue with pace, but I’m not going to go over the top with these signings. Free transfers with questionable injury records. Hopefully they can perform consistently over a season.

Still we have too many strikers, all 6 have qualities but i’m not convinced any of them will get 20 goals a season. Which is ridiculous when you think about it. None of the strikers have pace or play on the shoulder, which is a shame as this is a good quality to have up top.

Our midfield lacks goals and physicality over a full season. Bannan is great but doesn’t score enough and if you line up in a 4-4-2 you will get overrun because by the better teams, because to put it bluntly he isn’t physical enough. Lee was great in 2016, 3 years on he’s had a bad injury and missed 1 and a half seasons. Asking a lot for him to come back and be the same player in my opinion. Hutch great when fit, but if you’re relying on him to play a full season you’re in trouble. Joey not up to it. Midfield ideally needs two more additions to it - as fitness remains an issue with two of those players and for me the quality over a season just isn’t there.

Full backs don’t get enough assists or crosses into the box. Hopefully Odubajo will rectify this, but Palmer and Fox don’t get forward enough and generally are very average footballers. In central defence Lees looked great next to a calming influence in Loovens and Hector. Perhaps Borner can be their replacement, would feel more confident signing an experienced player at this level rather than an untried centre back from the German second tier. 

So if you asked me the question, I’d probably say yes. United may not have spent much money and done it on the ‘cheap’, but the balance and robustness of the squad trumps ours every time. I’ve made it no secret that I think the squad has had glaring deficiencies for some time, despite their often individual brilliance and ability. 

Still time to get the embargo lifted and the recruitment right. Feel less confident on recruitment now Bruce has gone mind. But let’s hope.

A lot of that I’d agree with, but your last paragraph, well that depends on who we appoint. Wasn’t totally convinced by the way Bruce was shaping things, he seemed to me, to be building a mid table side. Of course, we don’t know what he would have done had he stayed His finishing touches might well have been the flair players we need to elevate us to promotion candidates. 

Our better players, or the ones who look more like top of the table players, have all been here a while. 

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wilder was the one identifying the weaknesses at sheff utd and addressing them. Just like Bruce was starting to do here. We have always had one of the best squads in the league. Just haven't had a manager to get the best out of them, although Carlos did come close.

We need a manager with a plan so to speak to come in a rejuvenate these players. 

But as Bielsa has shown at Leeds. That can be done instantly.

Yeah, that Leeds team finished what 7th and mid-table before he got there?

Not a great side by any stretch. He didn't add all that much, did he? Largely kept what he had, brought in Bamford and a few others.

Transformed them into one of the best teams in the league (until it really mattered) and had them playing a brand of football few thought they'd be capable of.

So yes, a talented manager/coach can extract extra out of a group of players deemed not good enough. 

Edited by SiJ

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, that Leeds team finished what 7th and mid-table before he got there?

Not a great side by any stretch. He didn't add all that much, did he? Largely kept what he had, brought in Bamford and a few others.

Transformed them into one of the best teams in the league (until it really mattered) and had them playing a brand of football few thought they'd be capable of.

So yes, a talented manager/coach can extract extra out of a group of players deemed not good enough. 

I would argue their midfield had goals and creativity all over and that is down to the player and their ability. 

In our team I can only see Reach who provides that. Leeds had Alioski, Saiz, Hernandez, Klich, Harrison all chipping in. That is strength in number in midfield. Something I just don’t think we have, regardless of what manager comes in.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I would argue their midfield had goals and creativity all over and that is down to the player and their ability. 

So basically what you are saying is Jos could go to Man City and win them the league because they have the best players with the best ability.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

In our team I can only see Reach who provides that. Leeds had Alioski, Saiz, Hernandez, Klich, Harrison all chipping in. That is strength in number in midfield. Something I just don’t think we have, regardless of what manager comes in.

Saiz was binned off, Alioski was moved to left back and Klich barely had a sniff before Biesla came in. 

Remarkably, you've managed to miss off their one truly excellent midfielder, which is Hernandez.