Odds For The New Manager

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Yep.

It is complete horsesh*t.

A good manager cant extract more out of a group of players? 

...and getting a better centre back alone would make more difference... despite everything we saw last season when both Jos and Bruce had the same good centre back.

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes, but they didn't have a great squad on paper.

David Mcgoldrick on a free?

Player of the Year?

You fall over yourself to give United credit (which is fair enough in light of their efforts) and yet conversely fall over yourself to put the boot into the team you support time and time again. 

Our squad as it stands is not good enough for promotion. I’ll bump this in January time and I’ll be right.

Big couple of weeks coming up for the club. If we can get a good manager and let him add some quality we might have a shot. If not expect another mid table season. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Our squad as it stands is not good enough for promotion. I’ll bump this in January time and I’ll be right.

Big couple of weeks coming up for the club. If we can get a good manager and let him add some quality we might have a shot. If not expect another mid table season. 

The right manager playing the right system that the players buy into can get any team promoted.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Pretty sure you get promoted in May...

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s always pretty easy to win a completely different argument, for sure.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Says it all really...

"I can't wait to bump this thread up in January (for some reason) and tell everyone how right I was..." 

That will sure show the people who were talking about something else.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

That will sure show the people who were talking about something else.

Indeed. 

Pretty sure most of us think we can have a decent season and possibly challenge for top 6. 

I'm not reading too many bold predictions of promotion. 

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

It’s always pretty easy to win a completely different argument, for sure.

It’s not a completely different argument. Any manager who comes in has the challenge of not being able to bring in players and re-shape the squad. Until we are in a position to do that we are a mid table Championship side as the previous two seasons have shown.

And no United didn’t have a poo squad. They had a solid team assembled by Wilder and last season improved on it by signing one of the best young GKs in the league, a quality centre half for 4m in Egan and one of the best midfielders in the league in Norwood who had now been promoted from the division three seasons in a row. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not a completely different argument. Any manager who comes in has the challenge of not being able to bring in players and re-shape the squad. Until we are in a position to do that we are a mid table Championship side as the previous two seasons have shown.

And no United didn’t have a poo squad. They had a solid team assembled by Wilder and last season improved on it by signing one of the best young GKs in the league, a quality centre half for 4m in Egan and one of the best midfielders in the league in Norwood who had now been promoted from the division three seasons in a row. 

Where did anyone say United had a poo squad? 

Think it is perfectly acceptable to suggest that Wilder managed to get more out of that squad than he probably should have done. 

For the most part (bar Norwood and one or two others), a group of cast offs from ther lower divisions, signed on free transfers/nominal fees. 

The season before finishing 2nd, they ended up mid-table (10th). 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Beginning of last season would you have swapped their squad for ours or would you have swapped their manager for ours.

31 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

@AlanBiggs1: Resurfacing briefly from pre-season breather with a #SWFC column today about the candidate coming in from the cold... a man who desperately wants the job...

@theowlsman had been in touch to tell him about Holloway

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Where did anyone say United had a poo squad? 

Think it is perfectly acceptable to suggest that Wilder managed to get more out of that squad than he probably should have done. 

For the most part (bar Norwood and one or two others), a group of cast offs from ther lower divisions, signed on free transfers/nominal fees. 

The season before finishing 2nd, they ended up mid-table (10th). 

You said they didn’t have a great squad on paper, but on paper i’d say it looked pretty decent.

Yep they did finish 10th. Then the following summer they addressed the weaknesses in their side, strengthened and gained promotion. We still need to address our weaknesses from the 2015/16 season which was a good 3 years ago now. Until that is done properly, we are not getting promoted.