Odds For The New Manager

8 minutes ago, prowl said:

One word comment, JOS.

Finished mid table and was sacked whilst mid table despite playing the reserves most matches.

We will be mid table again this season as the players are a mid table squad.  Might be 8th, might be 18th.  Either way won't matter as we wont go up or down.

In some respects this is the least important appointment in years.  Whoever comes in will guide us to mid table unless he finds some different footballers down the side of the sofa.

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

He has been my choice as well from the day bruce left. 

I saw a bit of Lincoln last season including the top of the table game vs MK Dons.

The idea Lincoln are some sort of tikka takka gengapress masterpiece is a myth needing to be addressed.  They were pretty industrial with some real units in the team.  It is a big step up from that level to Championship level.  Ultimately he will be fine (see previous post) but if he comes don't expect us to be anything but functional as we have been over past 3 years.

Just now, mcmigo said:

Finished mid table and was sacked whilst mid table despite playing the reserves most matches.

We will be mid table again this season as the players are a mid table squad.  Might be 8th, might be 18th.  Either way won't matter as we wont go up or down.

In some respects this is the least important appointment in years.  Whoever comes in will guide us to mid table unless he finds some different footballers down the side of the sofa.

We need the right manager who can get us promoted. DC is putting a load of money in and isn't allowed to do more. We need promotion to sort it out. The right man needs to have contacts at a good level so we can get some top loans in to improve the squad and get out of this league.

Jos played the reserves and we struggled. Why did he do that? We don't know but Bullen didn't and we improved. The conspiracy theory was that DC was forcing Jos to do it but if that's the case he would have forced Bullen to do the same. Logical reason is that that was what Jos wanted to do. With a better start we could have been in the playoffs. (the start wasn't actually that bad it was the bit after that and up to his firing that killed us)

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

I saw a bit of Lincoln last season including the top of the table game vs MK Dons.

The idea Lincoln are some sort of tikka takka gengapress masterpiece is a myth needing to be addressed.  They were pretty industrial with some real units in the team.  It is a big step up from that level to Championship level.  Ultimately he will be fine (see previous post) but if he comes don't expect us to be anything but functional as we have been over past 3 years.

I've not been glued to Owlstalk as much as I have been in the past, but I haven't seen a single poster so much as hint that they think Lincoln play that way. 

In fact every single descriptor I have seen of the Cowleys tactical style on here is synonymous with "direct" or "long ball".

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Yep, always thought they were quite “traditional” in style.

8 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Pretty much nail on the head.

10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Not quite the whole picture though we were in gradual decline up to the exit of Jos and mid table was looking wildly optimistic. 

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

We need the right manager who can get us promoted. DC is putting a load of money in and isn't allowed to do more. We need promotion to sort it out. The right man needs to have contacts at a good level so we can get some top loans in to improve the squad and get out of this league.

Jos played the reserves and we struggled. Why did he do that? We don't know but Bullen didn't and we improved. The conspiracy theory was that DC was forcing Jos to do it but if that's the case he would have forced Bullen to do the same. Logical reason is that that was what Jos wanted to do. With a better start we could have been in the playoffs. (the start wasn't actually that bad it was the bit after that and up to his firing that killed us)

Core of team not good enough to go up - couple of loans won't change that.

Goalie is 34 and injury prone.  Reserve goalies arent up to top 6 standard.

Skipper and centre back decent but can be like a keystone cop without someone calmer alongside him.

Midfielders dont score enough goals or create enough chances to score goals at level needed to get promoted, never have done.  Hence why even post Jos we had runs of 0-0 results.

Fletcher, Nuhiu, Joao, FF have never scored consistently enough goals for a team to be promoted.  Rhodes has not done so for a long time.

No manager can change that.

22 minutes ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

As much as I like Hughton if a premiership job crops up during the season, he could be off and we would we be left in the same situation as we are now.

We need someone who will give some commitment to the job.

The problem with that is good managers are in demand, crap ones aren't. To avoid the situation we had with Bruce, we'd need to appoint someone crap. I'd rather we didn't do that.

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Skipper and centre back decent but can be like a keystone cop without someone calmer alongside him.

Midfielders dont score enough goals or create enough chances to score goals at level needed to get promoted, never have done.  Hence why even post Jos we had runs of 0-0 results.

Fletcher, Nuhiu, Joao, FF have never scored consistently enough goals for a team to be promoted.  Rhodes has not done so for a long time.

Wilder changed something that was much worse at the stain.. so maybe a decent manager actually could

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

You are a pessimist, I'm an optimist.

A decent/good manager, 3 good quality loans and a spoonful of goodfortune and we will be top 6.

top 6 is in the top 25% of clubs in the league. 1 in 8 gets promoted. Do we have a better squad than United? If they did it so can we.

Told you I was an optimist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Sure sure, doesn’t matter if we’re 8th or 18th. Not sure why we’re even bothered about any of this football business at all.

That wasnt my point - it was more that the manager coming in won't make much difference to the outcome of next season.  So no need to get too carried away whoever it is.  Rowett, Monk, Pulis, Cowley, Bullen - they will all get us somewhere mid table.  Whoever we get wont last more than 2 years, our managers rarely do. DC might as well go with a cheap option and invest the change in getting a good centre back on loan

17 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Hahaha while ever there are buffoons like you and your Chairman/club hating no mark sidekicks are about wanting  to blackguard his name at every given opportunity for the most ridiculous thing there will be people in our fellowship who have sworn to rid OT of evil in all it’s many disguises & manifestations!!!

I don't hate either. I mostly dislike the chairman and love the club. And the two are linked.