Odds For The New Manager

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He hasn’t but does he need to have had them? 

We could go for Pulis if we wanted former promotions. Or Karanka. But I don’t think either of them would be ideal with the first being unpopular and the second probably needing to do a fair bit of cosmetic work to the side.

No it’s not a necessity. A new or young manager might not have had chance to succeed or fail so isn’t judged on those terms. Someone who has had chance to do both but is yet to achieve... then people are going to look at the negatives.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is the thing, it seems it’s all about naming a manager no matter what People seem happy championing someone, merely because he’s one of the least worst options on a bookies list, made up almost entirely of bad options

Are there any managers you'd like to manage us who aren't available now but might be in the near future?

Edited by Sova

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

No it’s not a necessity. A new or young manager might not have had chance to succeed or fail so isn’t judged on those terms. Someone who has had chance to do both but is yet to achieve... then people are going to look at the negatives.

Still only 45 and has had teams in and around the playoffs. Another way of looking at it is that he has plenty to prove. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is the thing, it seems it’s all about naming a manager no matter what People seem happy championing someone, merely because he’s one of the least worst options on a bookies list, made up almost entirely of bad options

There’s definitely an element of that, but then the alternative is Bullen who wouldn’t even be on the list made up entirely of bad options if he wasn’t already at the club. So if we know a good manager is vital then you can’t blame people for wanting better than someone who isn’t even really a manager. Plus it’s just a bookies list. It’s not exhaustive.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In my case, I’ve always thought he was decent for a championship side looking to sneak into the playoffs. Monk too. 

I think the list of out of work managers is much better. Remember when we nearly ended up with McLaren 

Just now, Sova said:

Are there any managers you'd like to manage us who aren't available now but might be in the future?

I would imagine there are plenty. The thing is, most of these managers were applying for jobs, when Norwich, United, Villa, and even Barnsley were looking for a boss. They went out and got the man they wanted, not just selected the least worst option

8 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

That's not the conclusion I'd draw from that comparison.  The job with Stoke should be easier, based on quality of player, money available, and association with the PL.  Unless we're not aiming for promotion, in which cast it doesn't really matter.  :laugh:

That's fair enough.

I would however always argue that the biggest challenge for any manager is to command the respect of the dressing room. I think this was a big part of the Bruce affect at SWFC albeit short lived, he was the biggest name at the club with more success than any of the squad. For the same reasons, I think Bruce will struggle at Newcastle because he won't be close to being that there and players will compare him to Benitez. 

Rowett possibly saw the need to make a quick impact at Stoke and got it wrong by ruffling the feathers of 7 key senior players as someone else has eluded to early in his tenure at Stoke. Not dissimilar to Jos approach at Hillsborough and hopefully he's learnt from that. You don't upset the biggest voices, characters and influencers at a club first up. 

I think our players will still have some positivity about them from end of last season and Rowett has done enough for them to give him a chance. That's the key for me. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

Could it not just be a case of people sticking money on him which shorten the odds? Possibly, but he was 8/1 this morning,  That's a hell of load of cash been lumped on him to go 4/9.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would imagine there are plenty. The thing is, most of these managers were applying for jobs, when Norwich, United, Villa, and even Barnsley were looking for a boss. They went out and got the man they wanted, not just selected the least worst option

So basically you not got a clue then 

Hughton is clearly the most suitable replacement but if we can't get him then, whoever gets it, we should still give just as much a chance as any. Whoever gets it we should give the benefit of doubt. They'll be coming in near to the season, whoever gets it will have a job on their hands to get ready for the start of the season. There's little time left to bring players in and we still don't know when the soft embargo will end.

We finished mid table, which looked beyond us before Jos was axed. The last couple of seasons at times we've been in utter disarray, hampered by injury and hindered by FFP/P&S. Yet, at times last season after Jos left, we looked like a top 6 challenger again. The squad is there for a new man to have a decent go but it will be tricky and we still need strengthening. But let's give whoever gets it, the best chance by backing them, who knows what might happen if they take to the job like Carlos in his first season or Bruce last season.

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2