Odds For The New Manager

Just now, Jeff King's dog said:

The rules aren't there to put Birmingham in a strong position. They broke them and have to pay the price.

The rules are there so that Brentford, Millwall, West Brom, Blackburn etc etc etc, can compete on amore level playing field. 

I thought the rules were there to try and restrict the amount of financial bother clubs can get into.  In theory the bigger clubs with bigger incomes can incur much bigger expenses before hitting the loss ceilings. So in practice that should make it harder for the smaller clubs to compete.

2 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

The rules aren't there to put Birmingham in a strong position. They broke them and have to pay the price.

The rules are there so that Brentford, Millwall, West Brom, Blackburn etc etc etc, can compete on amore level playing field. 

The rules are ostensibly there to stop clubs going bust, but it looks like the rope is running out of slack.

6 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

They are supposed to be there to cushion the effect of big premiership wages but a lot of clubs seem to use them to strengthen their squad and try and go straight back up.

It's another gamble though.

Boro did that in year 1 but then had to sell a great propsect like Gibson to get back in line with the EFL rules.

1 hour ago, Jeff King's dog said:

You are inded correct and I stand corrected.

It doesn't change the gist of my post though, that they are there to cushion the effects of big Premier wages and aren't just some unfair payment.

If that is the PL’s aim they should have some sort of mechanism/ system to ensure it’s used to pay existing wages.

Presently it’s a ‘come back soon’ card.

35 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

Not sure how West Brom get compared to Brentford & Millwall. They are benefiting from parachute payments & home crowds averaging over 24000

Hopefully, if there's any good to come out of the EFL P&S/soft embargo fiasco, this is a kick-start to focus on what's most important. Bringing in a suitable replacement for Bruce. The season is in danger of being derailed and a near write off if we get this appointment wrong but if we get it right, despite many other teams seemingly wheeling and dealing their way into positions of strength, if we remain near injury free, we've still got a top 10/play-off contention capable squad. Hopefully after the disappointment of losing Bruce and the hindrance of the soft embargo, we can still bring in a capable and/or proven manager to get things back on track.

Someone like Hughton or Rowett, although admittedly not my first choices, would be far more suitable than the other likely candidates.  Either one, in our predicament and near the start of the season, would be a decent appointment. Houghton, would be an ambitious appointment and a statement of intent, even despite his age, he's proven at this level just like Bruce was. If we can get the appointment in asap, regardless of the soft embargo, we might possibly get things back on track and get the feel good factor back, that we had just before the Bruce saga derailed things.

Edited by The Night-Owl

5 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

TBH, I think Rowett is probably the best of a bad bunch.

And I'm no fan of GR, but if he's the man, he'll get my backing.

Agree, shows how far the bar has fallen, to be content with the least poo manager. 

From Bruce to Rowett. That’s very depressing. Really don’t rate him, got quite a few mates who are Derby fans and I’ve never heard people speak about a manager with such dislike. Flopped big time at Stoke, yes quite a lot of egos in that squad but they had a very good side last season. 

I’ll support him for sure, like others have said he’s probably the best out of a bad bunch. Not many will come to us whilst our financial position is up in the air.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

From Bruce to Rowett. That’s very depressing. Really don’t rate him, got quite a few mates who are Derby fans and I’ve never heard people speak about a manager with such dislike. Flopped big time at Stoke, yes quite a lot of egos in that squad but they had a very good side last season. 

I’ll support him for sure, like others have said he’s probably the best out of a bad bunch. Not many will come to us whilst our financial position is up in the air.

Christ he must be bad if they dislike him more than McClaren 

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If Derby fans disliked him so much then why were they all crying when he left to join Stoke?

Edited by s6 owl