If Bruce stays...

Just now, Fuzzy logics said:

In all honesty, I'm not overly fussed whether he goes or stays now.

Either way, I just want a quick conclusion the the whole episode so we can move on and focus on the new campaign.

Agreed. 

I was disappointed when the story broke a few days ago. 

Now I just want it resolved ASAP. Longer it drags on, the more it threatens to derail our season before it even gets started. 

We don't need this hanging over the club for weeks and weeks.  

Guest Bulgaria
Just now, Quist said:

You do not live in real world. He is involved in football people move around all the time.

They do.

But most managers wouldn't walk out 3 weeks before a new season having signed new players and releasing ones that the new manager might have kept.

He is a carpet bagger with absolutely no regard to others. He seems a lovely bloke, says " terrific about everything and everyone but he has a streak in him that has reared its ugly head again.

Now....where are my cabbages...

8 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

hows that then 

Because i can divorce stupid faux hurt feelings from reality ?

No it's ok to divorce the faux hurt feelings but the reality is he isn't staying. Either Ashley pays up (unlikely) or Bruce walks and it ends up in court. The chance of him being our manager in a month is vanishingly small. Even if Bruce backtracks I doubt Chansiri will trust him.

You can't give a guy the ability to sign players if he is likely to be off at the first opportunity.

It's over, it's very sad becuase 98% of fans were behind him. We are where we are, time to face the inevitable.

I wonder if the morally outraged would be just as vocal if we were trying to obtain the services of a manager currently in employment. 

I don't like the situation, but Steve Bruce is still the manager of SWFC, and if he continues to be so then gets my backing. 

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

By doing what hes done, he's not only alienated a sizeable portion of the fanbase, but you've got to think undermined his authority within the dressing room. 

Fanbase yes. I'm not sure it will have any bearing on the players if he stay though. 

They're in the same business. If a Prem club came calling for them they'd all talk to them too. I don't think they'll be viewing this in anywhere near the same light the fanbase is. 

Just now, Bulgaria said:

They do.

But most managers wouldn't walk out 3 weeks before a new season having signed new players and releasing ones that the new manager might have kept.

He is a carpet bagger with absolutely no regard to others. He seems a lovely bloke, says " terrific about everything and everyone but he has a streak in him that has reared its ugly head again.

Now....where are my cabbages...

This.

A bit like Carlos the con man, I wouldn't trust Bruce as far as I could throw him.

Very capable Manager, but will shaft you the moment something better comes along.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

When he inevitably leaves, we can all look back fondly on that time he managed a pre-season game against Lincoln. 

We can give him more credit than that though can't we? Signed Moses, Harris who both look like great business. Paid peanuts for Iorfa and Borner looks like he will be a leader. Will have played a  part in Westwood signing. 

If he goes so be it but he will have helped us in the long run. 

Guest Bulgaria
2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Fanbase yes. I'm not sure it will have any bearing on the players if he stay though. 

They're in the same business. If a Prem club came calling for them they'd all talk to them too. I don't think they'll be viewing this in anywhere near the same light the fanbase is. 

Most of them would be egging him on in the hope he might sign them.

33 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Given Newcastle want to pay Bruce LESS than he is on now (allegedly), DC wants his £4.5M compo up front (allegedly), and the entirety of Newcastle don’t want him - there may be a slim chance it won’t happen.

So if he stays, how will you react? Reminds me of the Forestieri debacle of a few years back. It took a long time for him to earn support again but he did it by first apologising and then doing stuff for the club. Like at that kids birthday party yesterday. Bruce ain’t gonna do that. 

The ONLY thing Bruce can do now to earn respect back is deliver a successful season. He won’t apologise for his complete lack of respect for SWFC and a poor start to the season will be make it toxic very quickly... in fact a poor run at any time of the season will make it toxic.

I’m open minded - he can still be a great manager for us, but we have now all seen him for who he is. No chances Bruce, if you stay you MUST deliver. 

Forestieri didn't actually want to leave though. Badly advised definitely, bad judgement. But it was about wages rather than actually wanting to talk to another club.

Guest timrud

With DC in control we can't really lose.

If he goes it is on our terms, which will be very good for the club.

If he stays we get behind him and we have a great manager.

We are very lucky to have DC

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I do live in the real world. Perhaps you might want to join the rest of us? 

Yes, football people move around all the time. 

Steve Bruce wants to move - I think he needs to move. 

Perhaps reread my post? 

All things being equal he would love to manage he team he supports. He also realises that it is not bed of roses and he has only got the opportunity as he is cheap option. His comments showed fondness for club but also comments like talks were over before they started and have to take stock of situation does not sound as if straight forward. Chansiri to his credit has put large compensation in contract if goes to PL. This puts Newcastle over a barrel they have to cough up money or walk away from deal, the comments you make about just walking away from club would create them even more problems.

We have struggled with managers we have got a good one at his level and if he left getting anybody comparable would be extremely difficult and effectively waste a season. 

Being a manager is a job as long as you can do job that is ok by me.

Forestieri refused to play in a league game once, yet yesterday he turned up at a lads 18th birthday party. This goes to show loyalty and love of a club can grow over time.

If it was Man Utd coming in for their old player instead of Newcastle.

Would we be so outraged that he would mull over this new offer?

Would he be accused of loving them more than us?

He has been sounded out by his boyhood club who also happen to be in the Premier League.

Our chairman has let him speak to them and asked rightly for a large compensation package should he take it up.

If Bruce decides that he would prefer to stay with us or Fat Ashley won't pay the compo.

Then we move on with the best manager we've had in decades.

We can again look forward to the great season ahead as we were doing last week. 

1 minute ago, lanzaroteowl said:

If it was Man Utd coming in for their old player instead of Newcastle.

Would we be so outraged that he would mull over this new offer?

Would he be accused of loving them more than us?

He has been sounded out by his boyhood club who also happen to be in the Premier League.

Our chairman has let him speak to them and asked rightly for a large compensation package should he take it up.

If Bruce decides that he would prefer to stay with us or Fat Ashley won't pay the compo.

Then we move on with the best manager we've had in decades.

We can again look forward to the great season ahead as we were doing last week. 

If any of us were managing elsewhere and Wednesday came calling would we hesitate in taking the job ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

How is this different to any other manager or player in today’s football?

we need to detach emotion. Bruce is our best chance of success at this moment in time.

He is gone and part of our history.

Stop clinging on. It's embarrassing.