Bruce-Whatever happens we back the boys

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Welcome back Mi'lord, whilst you have been away we are no longer allowed to use the phrase WAWAW, some bell end has purchased the copyright :ph34r:

Really? 

What an absolute tosspot thing to do.

Well he can go and boll0cks for starters.

#WAWAW 

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Two outcomes acceptable to me

• Bruce stays because he wants to  (Not because Ashley won't pay)
  • He leaves and we get the £5m

Any other scenarios simply aren't acceptable. 

If he stays simply because Ashley won't pay....he is done here.

All very messy.

Welcome back - excellent OP!

Like you alluded to in your OP, Ashley is trying to do this on the cheap and he won’t pay £5m. He thought he could make the call to Chansiri and he would

tickle his belly and that would be the end of that. So far, Chansiri has played a blinder and he has gone up in my estimations big time. Hopefully, this is the start of an improved relationship between the Chairman and SWFC fans.

I think Ashley would like to see Bruce walk out on us and then NUFC/SWFC could compromise around the £2.5m mark. Otherwise, Bruce stays! Even at £2.5m, I think this would be over what Ashley is prepared to pay.  I’ve got a few mates in Newcastle and they would

rather they re-appoint Chris Hughton than Bruce and Hughton is available. 

Nice post Mi lord and welcome back.

Agree entirely, and thought Bruce was trying to leave himself a bit of wriggle room yesterday.

His comment about having the weekend to consider just might leave him a way out if he carried on at Hillsborough.

He’d simply have to say something like :-

‘ I listened to the Newcastle offer but the volatile ownership situation there led me to conclude that the job was not for me and I would rather continue what we’ve started here’.

Most fans would probably accept that but I fear the deed is done and Chansiri is looking for yet another manager.

39 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think Ashley would like to see Bruce walk out on us and then NUFC/SWFC could compromise around the £2.5m mark. Otherwise, Bruce stays! Even at £2.5m, I think this would be over what Ashley is prepared to pay.  I’ve got a few mates in Newcastle and they would

rather they re-appoint Chris Hughton than Bruce and Hughton is available. 

I've no doubt at all that that is Ashleys hope.

Can I see why their fans would take Hughton. Whether he would be interested in taking the crackpot situation on is another thing.

There's good reason why 4 or so have already turned it down. 

Same reasons that Bruce really needs to consider this weekend before doing anything daft.

Welcome back Snoots, a very warm welcome.

Agree entirely with this. Wednesday will endure, personel come and go but we support the TEAM.

Personally I think if Bruce does go, he needs his bloody frock feeling up....

3 hours ago, archieswfc said:

If he stays now it's gonna get toxic imo. Every bad result is gonna be greeted with dogs abuse off the fans, which in turn will cause arguements amongst our own supporters as the split of opinions becomes more obvious. Some will sing his name, some will tell the ones singing it to shut the fu.ck up. The band will play his song continuously because of the suck ups they are, causing even more arguing. In fact the only positive that can come out of this is that trumpet might shoved up a certain persons ar53.

3 hours ago, doubleo said:

Nice to see you back M'lord. I reckon leave or stay - he's got till Christmas. If he goes, bad results and the Toon Army will have him out, and he's just blown any slack that Owls fans would have given him. I hope he stays and does the job, but if he wants to go DC should play hardball - maybe Bruce was right when he took this job "this could be my last managerial post" - only it ended a couple of years earlier than he thought !

Agree with you both that he will have slightly less grace with the fans if he stays and we have a bad run. 

However...I think the large numbers singing his name yesterday shows that we can't take Internet meltdowns as a genuine cross section and that if he stays people will recognise we still have we'd still have qualities good manager on our hands. 

The key thing is, if he did stay I don't think it would be a problem to the players who have clearly enjoyed playing for him so far. 

Were so close to the start of the season that I'm still hopeful someone can get through to him that this is a suicide mission, it's that black and white (see what I did there). Sam Alladyce of all people turned the job down. 

I think £5 million compo is totally justified when you consider the cost of appointing a new manager, backroom staff, plus the Strudwick fella who wouldn't have taken a wage cut from Old Trafford. Not forgetting the players who have signed and resigned (the indefatigable Westwood) on the basis that Steve Bruce was in charge.

As for us supporters, well we just have to see what the next 48 hours brings. It is what it is but no matter what we get behind the boys.....and the Chairman.

WAWAW.......oh FFS i can't even say that now.

Football does stir powerful emotions and this can lead to what can only be described as grudges or even hatred when people perceive they are being let down. 

However what is really worthwhile and important, and what fans really want, is to watch enjoyable and if possible successful football.

Therefore although few might admit it, the best thing, IMHO, for Owls fans, is that Steve Bruce stays. Regardless of the circumstances.

And I think, outside of the cauldron of Owlstalk and other social media, most fans would agree.

Edited by Rev Owl

22 minutes ago, Halifax Owls said:

we get behind the boys.....and the Chairman.

It's one of the bizarre side effects of this whole saga....that it's actually probably garnering the Chairman as much or more positive support as he's had since he first came!

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's one of the bizarre side effects of this whole saga....that it's actually probably garnering the Chairman as much or more positive support as he's had since he first came!

Which if anything underlines the whole fickle, and completely bonkers, approach of just about everyone involved. :Chansiri:

We seem to need heroes and villains within the same club!

Edited by Rev Owl

Bruce obviously wants to go

However , you can more or less read from his statements that he somehow wants to distance himself from the actual decision. 

"Its up to the club's now" etc

That speaks to me that he doesn't want to burn his bridges behind him.

So...if it should happen it breaks down he will carry on as normal as if nowt has happened. 

Laughable as that is, should he finish the job he was brought here for

No problem

Should it go badly it will always be a stick that Owls fans will beat him with

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Aye, the timing of it is awful. Just as we're preparing for the season ahead, things were taking shape and many of us felt if we had a chance to do well this season, it was because we finally seemed to have the right manager for the job. And if anyone could have got us finally back up at last, it was him. Ideally, like you said if he stays just because he came to his senses and not just because Ashley refuses to pay up, then that is forgivable. I just feel even if that happens, it just won't be the same.

Certainly terrible timing, and you do wonder what Ashley is up to he has known for months that Benitez was leaving. 

The Spanish had himself his new job lined up months ago.  For some reason despite the long period of preparation Ashley has left all his planning till the last minute.  Maybe he wanted to make sure he'd sold his clubs top scoring centre forward before he got a manager in who would try and put the brakes on such a sale.

It'd bad for us with the season just around the corner, but we must think of the positives. Two good performances yesterday from the boys, despite lower standard opponents. And we have bolstered the squad with some vital injections of pace with Odubajo and Harris which we probably haven't had since Helen and JJ left.  Westwood , Lee and Palmer all securing new deals gives us a continuity and I genuinly believe we'll have a good season whoever is in charge.  

I think it's fair to say we'd actually make a very attractive proposition for somebody should Bruce pack his bags and head off up to Arkham Asylum.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Certainly terrible timing, and you do wonder what Ashley is up to he has known for months that Benitez was leaving. 

The Spanish had himself his new job lined up months ago.  For some reason despite the long period of preparation Ashley has left all his planning till the last minute.  Maybe he wanted to make sure he'd sold his clubs top scoring centre forward before he got a manager in who would try and put the brakes on such a sale.

It'd bad for us with the season just around the corner, but we must think of the positives. Two good performances yesterday from the boys, despite lower standard opponents. And we have bolstered the squad with some vital injections of pace with Odubajo and Harris which we probably haven't had since Helen and JJ left.  Westwood , Lee and Palmer all securing new deals gives us a continuity and I genuinly believe we'll have a good season whoever is in charge.  

I think it's fair to say we'd actually make a very attractive proposition for somebody should Bruce pack his bags and head off up to Arkham Asylum.

I agree, it does look calculated and devious of the Newcastle hierarchy. Whereas the only one who should come out of this with any credit is DC for appointing Bruce in the first place, for being respectful and for standing his ground firmly over the compensation. 

Even despite the timing and distraction, we can still be optimistic about the season ahead and the future. The fitness and balance of the squad, looks to have improved. There are the foundations there for Bruce or a new man to have a good go at a top six place. If Bruce does go or quits, I would go for a younger more forward thinking long term appointment, similar to Villa, personally I'd go for someone like Alex Neil or Daniel Stendel to work with the foundations prepared by Bruce and to finish the job here like Dean Smith did at Villa. Instead of going for another short term appointment or manager that's near the end of their career because if they don't get us up, we'll be looking for another new man once again.

Personally I don't see Bruce changing his mind.

I can see him carrying on, in a professional manner if Big Mike hangs him out to dry.

Alas, in that situation I don't see Bruce being able to demand the commitment we need from thaw players over the coming season. 

Before this I could already see by September that if we don't start well, regardless of it being a difficult start, that the acrimony over signings and embargoes would spill over. 

I'm also not sure how this will pan out in the transfer market. 

We looked like a problem club already, so when / if we are trying to compete for signings, it will be all the more difficult. 

I agree we should back the team, regardless of the outcome, as always. 

If Bruce stays because Ashley is too tight to pay I can't see that helping us in the transfer market. If we approach a player he will know Bruce is likely to bugger off at the first opportunity. Why would they want to come here when they know a new manager could drop them because he wants to play a different system. I'm not saying we won't be able to recruit but it's got to be a disincentive to players.

6 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

Football does stir powerful emotions and this can lead to what can only be described as grudges or even hatred when people perceive they are being let down. 

You're not kidding! I'm only surprised that people are surprised.

Everybody in football is hawking themselves out, talking to potential employers all the time.  Tapping has always been rife in the game. 

The days of managers coming and doing a 10/20 year stint are a thing of the past.  Every club is a stepping stone to a club higher up the league. I'm not sure exactly how it inspires such vitriol. 

Dissapointing and frsutrating obviously if you lose your gaffer. But it's not the end of the world. I'd like him to stay. But I'd he goes he goes.

We have people on here suggesting we go and poach managers feom other clubs lower down the leagues but somehow think that's different!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prowl said:

If Bruce stays because Ashley is too tight to pay I can't see that helping us in the transfer market. If we approach a player he will know Bruce is likely to bugger off at the first opportunity. Why would they want to come here when they know a new manager could drop them because he wants to play a different system. I'm not saying we won't be able to recruit but it's got to be a disincentive to players.

That's the same at any club outside the top 5 in the Premier league though isn't it? 

Between 6th August last season and July 5th this year 58 managers have left or been sacked. You never know who you're gaffer is going to be really,  it's a transient proffesion 

I were only a kid when Ron left and I were roarin about it coz I thought things would never be the same again. 

Actually,  I were right, they weren't but there's nowt you can do about it. Just support the boys and hope the new boss is a decent.

Be really annoyed if he goes coz he'd done really well when he came in and there were signs of him moving us in the right direction. 

But thething that f*cks me off about it all is thst it's been common knowledge since the beginning of May that Benitez weren't staying up there.  They've had plenty of time to get someone in and they've come in last minute and tried to nick our gaffer.  

Ashley should be just told to go and testicles. I'd force the issue and keep Bruce under pain of death. Though I'm reight mardy and that's probably why I don't work in footy! 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.