Mirror reporting Steve Bruce deal would make him lowest paid manager in Premier League

14 minutes ago, bobness said:

Funny how his previous employment history wasn't a problem a week ago...

I wasn't really aware of his employment history a week ago, to be honest.

It's not really a problem; I was just pointing out how he conducted himself in a similar situation in the past. If he does the same again, then we'll have a problem.

But is it more than he’s on at S6? The answer is probably yes. 

I’m sure Bruce really loves Newcastle (despite being a bit busy to go and support them on a Saturday afternoon for the past 30 - 40 years) but I’m fairly certain he’s interested in being paid well....so whatever the deal is, I'm sure it’s giving him enough financial incentive.  

11 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

But is it more than he’s on at S6? The answer is probably yes. 

I’m sure Bruce really loves Newcastle (despite being a bit busy to go and support them on a Saturday afternoon for the past 30 - 40 years) but I’m fairly certain he’s interested in being paid well....so whatever the deal is, I'm sure it’s giving him enough financial incentive.  

It’s half that he is on at Wednesday

Agree with all of this. However, I don't think his position with Wednesday is tenable now. Was at Stocksbridge yesterday and when his interview went out on RS, the mood changed. Those hoping he wouldn't go, changed their views and knew he wanted out. I honestly don't think he can come back from this. We need him out and get someone else in ASAP. 

Nah, not having that. He'll be getting plenty of money and this story is designed to paint him as not being mercenary. His pay will be enough to tempt him away from us. All this talk about boyhood club etc is garbage. He's going to go there because he'll get a lot of money and be in the Premier league. If his boyhood club was Darlington and the job came up he wouldn't go. 

I'm annoyed that we've lost him. I now want as much compensation as possible and a new man in place ASAP. Someone with pedigree please, let's pass Bruce and the pigs on the way down next season. 

The worrying thing is we could be left in a poo situation where Ashley won't pay the compo so Bruce stays. 

He's unhappy, fans don't like or trust him, broken relationship with the chairman. 

Then we sack him in February when we're 16th.

Don't understand what the problem is - it's a superbly constructed contract designed to reward success. If you read it properly, it's not a bonus for avoiding relegation; it's an incentivised structure that makes him the lowest paid manager if they get relegated (obviously fair) up to getting paid as much or more than Benitez if they win the league (also fair).

Oh how the FA wish Steve McClaren had been on something equally sensible when they had to pay millions to sack him after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008, which should have been the minimum requirement.

6 minutes ago, VBQ24 said:

The worrying thing is we could be left in a poo situation where Ashley won't pay the compo so Bruce stays. 

He's unhappy, fans don't like or trust him, broken relationship with the chairman. 

Then we sack him in February when we're 16th.

My thoughts exactly. I think he’s burned his bridges when it comes to our trust and he’ll struggle to get back to anywhere near the backing levels he’s had unless the team get off to a flyer. For me personally, I’ve never really rated Bruce that much and his last team Villa were shocking under him both in style and results. What success he’s had seems to have come through being heavily backed and I’m not sure we’re in a  position to do that right now. Maybe he’d have been the right man for the job when Carlos was appointed but as I said stay or go, I don’t think he’s any great shakes and we can do better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Owl999 said:

He’s on around that figure at Wednesday so certainly not going through greed .

He's on double that figure here. 

Typical Ashley this, low wage (in comparison with peers) with a seemingly easily attainable lucrative bonus. 

When you oil this down to the bare bones, only TWO people come out of it with any distinction - the TWO Chairmen

Look at it from Chansiri's pov -He has a Manager, whom he appointed, allowed leave of absence at a crucial time before he started. and has had the guts to allow N'castle to speak to man in the SW Manager's Chair He then reportedly says that they may have the Man they want provided they stick to the agreement and pay the required compensation.

Look at it from Ashley's pov. He has identified the man he wants. He has gone through the. proper channels,speaks to the man (I presume). So far so good.

Ashley then makes an offer to Wednesday about compensation which Wednesday refuse.

THIS IS NORMAL PRACTICE IN THE FOOTBALL WORLD.

Both Chairmen come out of this, having done exactly what is expected of them. The ball is now firmly in Steve Bruce's court.. Does he stay at S6 or does he go to his so-called beloved Newcastle 

Credit goes IMO to both Chairmen. First to Chansiri for refusing to budge -pay up or else the deal is off. 

Credit must also go to Ashley who has followed the rules. The fact that he is reported to have offered Bruce a 'mere' One million Pounds/ year is to be applauded, not because of the people involved, but because a Chairman has AT LONG LAST decided that Managers are paid far too much money. Well done Ashley.! 

4 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

What sort of Newcastle fan manages Sunderland and turned down previous chances to manage them?

He is a snake

That why I find it baffling he’s considering going there right now. On the face of it up until this episode he’d got everything going for him here. Decent wages allegedly comparable to what he’d get at Newcastle and a fan base that understands his current restrictions and would give him a bit of time to build for promotion as opposed to going straight into a relegation battle and facing hostile fans. It doesn’t seem to make much sense unless there’s something behind the scenes that we’re not aware of.