Out Of Respect

2 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Perhaps a better word would have been "negotiate"  which can go thus

DC " 5 mil"

Ashley "1 mil"

DC "5mil or forget it "

and do we know if a specific figure is in his contract ? i don't 

No, we don't. 

But I suspect that if there was no compo figure in there this would already have been sorted. 

And if there is a figure in there it's imperative that we don't cave on it. The way to avoid dragging it out is to give Newcastle a deadline.

Just now, Lawrie Madden said:

Hopefully not its the one ace in our hand 

Absolutely.  The fact the word compromise is even being mentioned shows that the ultimate stumbling block is price, money..as in how much is Ashley willing to pay?

There is no compromise to be had.  Either Ashley pays up as per the terms of the contract or he buggers off.

• Like 2

Just now, WC1Owl said:

No, we don't. 

But I suspect that if there was no compo figure in there this would already have been sorted. 

And if there is a figure in there it's imperative that we don't cave on it. The way to avoid dragging it out is to give Newcastle a deadline.

I agree if he's going for me the bar was set by Chelski 

Compo at the minimum should be at that level

Just now, Lawrie Madden said:

We didn't he didn't work for Wednesday then 

We quite clearly accommodated his needs in this respect by appointing his staff to run the club until he was ready and showing how much we wanted him by holding the job for a month until he was ready.

Not many clubs would have done that for him in the same situation in my opinion as was alluded to in many comments from unbiased onlookers.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

We quite clearly accommodated his needs in this respect by appointing his staff to run the club until he was ready and showing how much we wanted him by holding the job for a month until he was ready.

Not many clubs would have done that for him in the same situation in my opinion as was alluded to in many comments from unbiased onlookers.

We did but thats not the same as "allowing" which was said earlier DC always had the option of pushing it or walking away and appointing someone else the facts are that Steve Bruce was not working for the Club at that point in time 

2 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Thats some IF 

IF ? i don't understand 

What i wrote is just fact i heard Lipton say it on Brazils show last Monday teh Allardyce thing was revealed by Allardyce Thursday i have no way of knowing if Allardyce was being truthful but see no reason for him to lie 

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Why wasn't we dragging all these points up when we first signed him?  A week ago if anyone used these arguments against him they would have been shot down.  Strange how opinions can change so quickly.

Why did he sign a contract that given a better offer he would pursue  it ?

He could have said yes I will sign a contract on these terms ......but he knows he would have got told to FO 

37 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Very disappointed with that interview. Why does he need to respect Newcastle? We pay his £2m pa wages. 

Hes done this 4 times before and whilst I thought he was a ‘good guy’, he’s quite clearly got no morals or scruples and he’s just in it for himself and the money. 

Lets get top dollar for him and bring Hughton in asap! 

Out of respect to Wednesday I didn’t speak to Newcastle. There’s a sentence that isn’t Brucie Boll*cks. 

Just now, hugeowl said:

Why did he sign a contract that given a better offer he would pursue  it ?

He could have said yes I will sign a contract on these terms ......but he knows he would have got told to FO 

Because that never happens in football does it 

1 minute ago, WC1Owl said:

No, we don't. 

Yes - the actual circumstances of the compo context is very important. All parties are reliant on a figure that is either in writing in the contract so no ambiguity, or market value which has been tested previously in football circumstances.

The only way DC and SWFC, and Ashely and NUFC to come out of this well, is to agree either. SB is simply an embarrassed bystander that all this is being played out in public.

3 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

We did but thats not the same as "allowing" which was said earlier DC always had the option of pushing it or walking away and appointing someone else the facts are that Steve Bruce was not working for the Club at that point in time 

It was still a significantly respectful gesture for which the club took some stick from neutral football quarters.

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Why wasn't we dragging all these points up when we first signed him?  A week ago if anyone used these arguments against him they would have been shot down.  Strange how opinions can change so quickly.

Well i agree somewhat but a week ago he wasn't after another job

7 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Perhaps a better word would have been "negotiate"  which can go thus

DC " 5 mil"

Ashley "1 mil"

DC "5mil or forget it "

and do we know if a specific figure is in his contract ? i don't 

It was reported in the press that the there's compensation clause in his contract in case a Premier League club came in for him, which seems oddly specific if untrue. You never know, though.

I imagine the negotiations will be pretty similar to that, though, which is why Bruce's choice of words was so poor. There's really no incentive for Wednesday to compromise here: if Newcastle want him, they can pay our asking price.