Steve Bruce interview in full

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

ps . listen all the way to the end

It doesn't sound good, thank you and good bye surely. 

His hope that Odubajo has got over his horror injury all sounds a little hollow now. 

When will we ever learn?

I thought Bruce came across well, though agree with others that the "out of respect" part wasn't really the right term.

He sounds like more likely than not to stay to me. Talked in the present about how the new signings will be good players and stated that in no way does he want to leave as he thinks we are a special club.

The "its in the hands of the clubs" part is right, but even if they do agree compo then it's not nailed on he goes. He then said he'd talk with Newcastle, no guarantee he'll go- he wants to know what his situation will be there too (contract length, transfer funds etc). There's a chance that happens but I think it's more likely that tight arse Ashley can't agree compensation anyway.

I think he's much more likely he's staying than not. Hope fans all get back on board with him if that's what happens.

Edited by swfc-dan

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he sounded like a bloke who didn't want to do that interview …...

..like a bloke that didn't think he'd still be here having to do that interview. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

I thought Bruce came across well, though agree with others that the "out of respect" part wasn't really the right term.

He sounds like more likely than not to stay to me. Talked in the present about how the new signings will be good players and stated in no way does he want to leave as he thinks we are a special club.

The "its in the hands of the clubs" part is right, but even if they do agree compo then it's not nailed on he goes. He then said he'd talk with Newcastle, no guarantee he'll go- he wants to know what his situation will be there too (contract length, transfer funds etc). There's a chance that happens but I think it's more likely that tight arse Ashley can't agree compensation anyway.

I think he's much more likely he's staying than not. Hope fans all get back on board with him if that's what happens.

If he stays, it'd be because he's stranded because Ashley doesn't think he's worth the money. That is the reality that may have to sink in with him. 

18 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

If he stays, it'd be because he's stranded because Ashley doesn't think he's worth the money. That is the reality that may have to sink in with him. 

How do you know that? I know most people on here think that but I'm not getting the same impression of what I've heard. My impression is that Newcastle showed interest, DC allowed him a quick chat with them. If they can agree terms he will then speak to them, and then decide if he wants to leave. Is that not how things should be done? 

Still seems like 2 potential roadblocks to him moving to me. I don't think Bruce has done too much wrong personally. Definately not burnt any bridges here by his actions, we have to accept that we have a good manager who can interest Prem teams. Much better than having one who doesn't, and it doesn't mean we have to let them go.

Edited by swfc-dan
  • Like 1

I listened to the end, but I don't even think he could be arsed to blow smoke up our arse, he sounds about as keen to stay here as he does to have his wee wee tail set on fire. What a 

160.gif

Edited by Anus

6 minutes ago, Anus said:

I listened to the end, but I don't even think he could be arsed to blow smoke up our arse, he sounds about as keen to stay here as he does to have his wee wee tail set on fire. What a 

160.gif

Exactly, he’s got no intention of staying, just doesn’t want to fall foul of breaching his contract, if Ashley leaves him up poo  creek. He talked about us in past tense and never used the term “us” when talking about future plans.

The worry for me now is if Newcastle pulls out of it or drags this on as it could seriously derail the preseason. If Bruce ends up staying he needs to seriously backtrack or the player won’t play for him never mind the fans.

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

How do you know that? I know most people on here think that but I'm not getting the same impression of what I've heard. My impression is that Newcastle showed interest, DC allowed him a quick chat with them. If they can agree terms he will then speak to them, and then decide if he wants to leave. Is that not how things should be done? 

Still seems like 2 potential roadblocks to him moving to me. I don't think Bruce has done too much wrong personally. Definately not burnt any bridges here by his actions, we have to accept that we have a good manager who can interest Prem teams. Much better than having one who doesn't, and it doesn't mean we have to let them go.

We have to accept whatever outcome is served up, unfortunately. But the video version of this interview is more telling than just the audio. What I saw and heard was a man frustrated that he's still here, and is very much hoping the "compromise" he spoke of will be found. He knows all that stands between him and the Newcastle job he really wants is Mike Ashley, and whether or not he believes Bruce is worth the money. Early signs are that he doesn't, having thought Bruce would be a cheap option to poach and put on a very modest prem salary. Have to wait and see if that changes. 

Sheepish and awkward. Not like any other Bruce interview.

Sounds to me like he just wants to tip toe off to Newcastle and hope we forget that he ever existed here. 

Edit: Also suggests that it’s not likely anyone else player wise will come in... would he be bothering to look anyway at the moment? ... and that the club want to offload Rhodes still. 

Edited by Kopparberg