Steve bruce interview BBC Sheffield imminent

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Don’t think he actually said anything wrong there. 

He wants the Newcastle job, it’s as simple as that. Crap situation for us, but one we have to deal with. 

This was your comment in another thread on this:

Come from nowhere has it

lol

So I take it you think the 'come from nowhere' comment was wrong?

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Come from nowhere has it

lol

I think it was wrong...

I think his agent was in dialogue with Ashley as soon as Rafa left

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Come from nowhere has it

lol

More faces than a town clock. 

He was always going to be interested in the job. 

If he goes I can't really blame him.

If he stays I'm sure after the initial disappointment has subsided he'll get on with the job and give it hid best.

If he's genuinely accepting of the situation ie. if the club's can't agree then he can't go then I hope he stays.

On the other hand, if he starts playing silly buggers then he'll go right down in my estimation.

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The fact he has a good record at this level and steadied a very rocky ship when we got rid of Jos is why people rate him.

Yes there are other good managers out there but there also managers akin to Jos Luhukay, DC's record at picking em is a bit hit and miss which is why it is disappointing to lose a good one.

His comments show he doesn't expect to be here much longer though so we need to have the right man lined up before we kick him out the door.

Know what you are saying but I don't think he's worth worrying about losing

His record here isn't that good

Sheffield Wednesday – 38.9%
P18 W7 D8 L3
Points per game: 1.61

Would have been joint 6th with Derby, if he'd been here all season...assuming the same point ratio.

Yeah, he might have got better, he may have got worse...his career win stats  are the same, 38.5%

No guarantee we would be up there next season...Just a thought, he might be thinking the same thing...not confident so i'm off

12 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

P18 W7 D8 L3

Would have been joint 6th with Derby, if he'd been here all season...assuming the same point ratio.

Yeah, he might have got better, he may have got worse...his career win stats  are the same, 38.5%

No guarantee we would be up there next season...Just a thought, he might be thinking the same thing...not confident so i'm off

It’s difficult to judge Bruce off the 18 games he had really, you need a year in the job before fans can get a proper measure of you. His big positive was tightening up the defence and making us look more cohesive, but at least part of that can be attributed to Westwood returning and settling down the back four.

He won a few, drew a fair bit and didn’t lose many, but the very end of the season didn’t bode especially well. I was at the Leeds game and there was only one team that day who looked even remotely capable of a promotion push and it certainly wasn’t us.

Is Bruce a good manager in this league? Yeah, probably have to admit that. Is he the best? No, there are definitely better tacticians out there. Can we therefore do better than him? Absolutely, it all just comes down to DC doing a good job of picking the next man in. That last bit is probably the biggest risk in all this, the stuff about squad morale and a lost pre-season doesn’t worry me to the same extent. Clubs can survive disrupted pre-seasons and a false start out of the blocks - look how Smith got Villa up in spite of a poor start under a certain somebody.

11 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

P18 W7 D8 L3

So with a couple of loan signings he improved our form significantly. I'd have certainly taken joint 6th over the course of last season.

He has made 3 signings this summer and will take his back room staff with him. Not great when the season starts in less than 3 weeks.

I just don’t understand why an experienced bloke like Bruce wasn’t a little more intelligent with that interview, and kept the door open with swfc fans.

I think he could have been forgiven for admitting he needed to talk to Newcastle and consider it, but also explain that he’d remain professional and committed to swfc if it didn’t work out. 

This debacle with Newcastle could fall through and if it does he’s burnt bridges with the fans after that interview. He’s basically going to be fighting fires at either club after this, and I find that bizarre after all the stuff he said about his time at Villa, and his enthusiasm for carrying on.