More compensation

6 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Not really. Fan reaction gives Ashley the perfect opt out. We'd be the ones left in a pickle, with a manager whose head has been turned. 

why would Ashley want an opt out? He's already deep into his list of preferred candidates, & failing to land Bruce will be further humiliation for him in the face of hostile critics on his home terraces. We aren't in a great position here, but if Newcastle remain managerless after this saga then they are certainly deeper in the poo than we are.

This is DC’s finest hour.

He’s just bought the ground for 60m meaning he’s now invested around 140m since taking over, and he refuses to be bullied by Mike Ashley over Bruce. Would be so easy for him to take a couple of million.

No doubt this guy has invested his heart and soul (as well as a huge amount of his personal fortune) into SWFC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

You know what...

People are saying stuff that makes sense....but its pie in the sky.

People are saying stuff that fits a timeline....but its excuses after excuses.

What we know is...

Bruce took training on Friday and is the manager of SWFC.

Mike Ashley is trying to sell Newcastle and wants a manager on the cheap. While he asset strips (perez, longstaff etc..)

Newcastle fans despise Steve Bruce.

I am not sure they actually despise Steve Bruce. The majority don't want him as manager but that is different to despising him. I think most actually despise what Ashley is doing at the club and taking it out on Bruce because they quite fairly regard the appointment as a big come down from Benitez and symptomatic of the way things are being done at the club. 

6 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Then it comes down to length of contract,which I understand is 12 month rolling,which hes 5 months into,and a judgement of FAIR compensation,which youd expect to be basically the next 7 months wages at the very best,which wont be 4.5M as is being qouted

Don't forget about Agnew and Clemence.

2 minutes ago, heppers said:

I hope DC holds out for compensation.

Ashley doesn't pay and gets a new manager.

DC sacks Bruce.

I don't think that would be a very expedient thing to do in the long run. Folk have been talking for months about Bruce using his contacts and influence in the game to sign players. Maybe it is also possible in a closed shop like football that the same contacts might actually side with Bruce on this one and the whole thing come back to haunt us in future. Best all round if an amicable solution is found and, if that includes taking a drop in compo, maybe that could be the best outcome in the long run. Even principles have repercussions some times.

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The 5m figure is excessive. Won’t be that much.

But Newcastle will end up paying us decent cash for Bruce which doesn’t happen very often!

Chelsea paid £4m for Lampard, who is an inexperienced manager with only 1 years experience.

58 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I don't think that would be a very expedient thing to do in the long run. Folk have been talking for months about Bruce using his contacts and influence in the game to sign players. Maybe it is also possible in a closed shop like football that the same contacts might actually side with Bruce on this one and the whole thing come back to haunt us in future. Best all round if an amicable solution is found and, if that includes taking a drop in compo, maybe that could be the best outcome in the long run. Even principles have repercussions some times.

Good sensible response above.

I think the situation now is that Bruce has to go, there is no way back, the bond between the club and Bruce has been broken. Would like him to take his backroom staff with him.

We should screw Ashley over for compensation, but I don't think he will stump up the max and DC has shown with his dealings with players he won't budge also, even if it costs him money.

This impasse could go on for a while.

Ashley really is a strange chairman, it's almost like he wants the fans to dislike the manager, when the fans like th manager ( Keegan, Hughton, Bentitez ) he gets rid of the manager. 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

He’s Frank Lampard. They got 5m for Sarri!

We won’t be getting 4/5m for Bruce and co. 

He'll be getting what he wants or SB isn't going. Fact is Chansiri holds the cards and either way we are in a pretty good position. 

The King is dead, long live the King.

Sheffield Wednesday forever.

Let’s get a banging new manager who takes us back to the Premiership, where we can beat Newcastle 8-0 and tell them and Bruce to do one.

Just cancelled my subscription to Sports Direct too. 

8 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I cant imagine they will be paying Bruce a hell of a lot than what we pay him. 

Wouldn't stump up extra cash for Benitez.

I dont think he is choosing to go there purely for financial gain.

I agree it won't be all about the money, fair point. But I wonder if he'd go there if Ashley offered him less than he is on here ? From all the rumours he seems keen to jump ship very quickly.

Deep down none of us are surprised by what he's doing, he's done it most of his managerial career.

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Then it comes down to length of contract,which I understand is 12 month rolling,which hes 5 months into,and a judgement of FAIR compensation,which youd expect to be basically the next 7 months wages at the very best,which wont be 4.5M as is being qouted

Surely, a 12 month rolling contract always has 12 months to run, as opposed to a normal 12 month contract?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

He'll be getting what he wants or SB isn't going. Fact is Chansiri holds the cards and either way we are in a pretty good position. 

I'm not sure being stuck with a manager who no longer wants to be here is a good position at this very moment. It wont help recruitment for a start. 

If all the media speculation is correct, I think the best outcome would be get as

much compensation as possible, say around £4m, bring in Hughton immediately and use the money to bring in Hector. 

Bruce was the right fit but not sure whether the relationship between Bruce/Club/Fans will have been severely tainted due to recent events.

28 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

DC can’t just credibly decide his own compensation figure 

Edited by Bluesteel

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

A 12 month rolling contract means he's always got 12 months left on his contract

If someone signed a 12 month rolling contract 11 months and 3 weeks ago, it doesn't mean he only has one week left on the contract, he's still got 12 months, hence the term rolling contract.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.