Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I was told in confidence and I’m not breaking that confidence. I suppose in some people’s eyes that makes what I say untrue.

its not just what I say though. Others have commented on it.

Fair enough. The what I'm trying to ascertain is was the player Reach and the bid £4m? Or was is Thorniley and the bid was £4m? One of those bids is unacceptable, the other less so. 

I don't have a problem with the chairman turning down unreasonable bids, particularly with the market as it is now, where a bang average championship player is going for £5-6m and anyone with a sniff of being premier league class is well north of £10m.

We sold Antonio for £1.8m and less than a year later he went to West Ham for £9.5m. If we did that now, the chairman would be slated non-stop

Edited by Minton

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Fair enough. The what I'm trying to ascertain is was the player Reach and the bid £4m? Or was is Thorniley and the bid was £4m? One of those bids is unacceptable, the other less so. 

I don't have a problem with the chairman turning down unreasonable bids, particularly with the market as it is now, where a bang average championship player is going for £5-6m and anyone with a sniff of being premier league class is well north of £10m.

We sold Antonio for £1.8m and less than a year later he went to West Ham for £9.5m. If we did that now, the chairman would be slated non-stop

Reach wasn’t one of the ones I was told about. 

It wasn’t just the values involved, it was the refusal to enter into any sort of negotiations.

I agree, we have had our pants down in the past and we should not let this happen again. The failure to move players on both in DC’s tenure and before is not sustainable.

1 minute ago, sw1867 said:

Reach wasn’t one of the ones I was told about. 

It wasn’t just the values involved, it was the refusal to enter into any sort of negotiations.

I agree, we have had our pants down in the past and we should not let this happen again. The failure to move players on both in DC’s tenure and before is not sustainable.

I'm not suggesting those were the bids or the players involved, just used those as examples to illustrate my point. If a team is bidding well under the market value of a player then I wouldn't entertain them, if it's a reasonable bid for a player that we feel we can do without, I'd be more annoyed with a hard 'take it or leave it' stance.

There's definitely a balance we need to hit, but you know for a fact if we sold players left right and centre you'd all be moaning the chairman is only lining his own pockets and has no ambition. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

I'm not suggesting those were the bids or the players involved, just used those as examples to illustrate my point. If a team is bidding well under the market value of a player then I wouldn't entertain them, if it's a reasonable bid for a player that we feel we can do without, I'd be more annoyed with a hard 'take it or leave it' stance.

It was said to me separately by two separate managers independently. Not verbatim obviously but along the lines of;

‘Are you willing to sell player X and if so what do you want’

‘our valuation is £x’

‘we were thinking along the lines of £x’

’We’ve told you it’s £x, we won’t accept anything less and if you aren’t prepared to pay that then there is no point discussing it further’

This happened on one sale (who many considered surplus to requirements) and two others for loans (weren’t featuring in the first team squad). One of the loans was agreed with the player and his agent but DC wanted a big loan fee. Doesn’t take a genius to work that one out!

8 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

There's definitely a balance we need to hit, but you know for a fact if we sold players left right and centre you'd all be moaning the chairman is only lining his own pockets and has no ambition. 

Depends how its done - if money was reinvested back in the play squad like Derby or Brentford then yeah it would be fine, but i know what you mean, if we sold a boat load of players and brought in freebies we'd be questioning the chairmans intelligence and motives fo show!

7 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Quite possibly, but the chairman could turn round and say it was to keep us out of an embargo without the need for supporters paying top dollar for almost everything.

As you said, definitely a balance and if that balance is not being maintain in either direction then quite rightly it should be criticised. Especially when the balance is so dramatically swinging in the refusal to sell anyone.

dont sell ‘left right and centre’ but don’t hoard players either.

3 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It’s been a problem for a long time.

We should have been selling players for good money.

All part of a sensible strategy to make a club work. 

Losing big name star players might upset fans but it’s the right thing to do.

Pigs and Norwich good examples recently  who sold players for big money but still prospered. 

Selliing players for big money works if both the following apply....

1.. We have the players worth big money.

2. We have the recruitment to replace them with potentially good young players for the future. 

No use selling good players then replacing them with poorer players unless there is a development chain. 

6 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Yes I do. I read it on Twitter. 

Posted by whom? Supported by official documentation, no doubt.

5 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Let them moan. We need to balance the books.

4 hours ago, A12owl said:

2. We have the recruitment to replace them with potentially good young players for the future. 

No use selling good players then replacing them with poorer players unless there is a development chain. 

Works even better when we actually accept a decent offer when we get them

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

It is a bit poor when asking fans to buy expensive tickets, kits, 1867 schemes and end up in an embargo when a couple of well timed player sales could solved the problem.

You should have said sooner lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Let them moan. We need to balance the books.

We've just done that without selling anyone though haven't we? :Chansiri:

• Haha 1

Remember when we had Bromby and Quinn and the club put out a statement that they weren't for sale, when Liverpool (I think) came sniffing around Bromby.

Felt right at the time, hold on to our young players. But bloody hell, with hindsight, get the cash in!

7 hours ago, A12owl said:

Astounding how Brentford have done this in recent years. Sell their best couple of players every year, bring in "small names" and they perform well, and repeat. Their track record is great.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Astounding how Brentford have done this in recent years. Sell their best couple of players every year, bring in "small names" and they perform well, and repeat. Their track record is great.

We havnt got a record of development of players at any level.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Remember when we had Bromby and Quinn and the club put out a statement that they weren't for sale, when Liverpool (I think) came sniffing around Bromby.

Felt right at the time, hold on to our young players. But bloody hell, with hindsight, get the cash in!

Theres a balance that we haven't got anywhere near really. 

11 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

This can't be true can it? If so pretty much every club in the Championship and below has made more money than us in transfer fees in the last couple of seasons alone nevermind 10 years. 

No wonder we are in an embargo. 

Screenshot_20190710-235253_Chrome.jpg

It doesn't make great reading.

However, give that we sold Wiggins, Hunt and May under Chansiri I would suggest Ian Wiles brushes up on his mathematical ability a bit as £1.5M+£990,000+£234,000 does not equal £1.5M

:ghoulguy:

We have never unearthed a gem have we?

Sign a young player for less than a million then 18 months later sell him for silly money.

Other clubs do it, we have to start doing it!

• Agree 1

Bet you my mortgage we cannot sell Fox