This is shocking and mental

38 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

This can't be true can it? If so pretty much every club in the Championship and below has made more money than us in transfer fees in the last couple of seasons alone nevermind 10 years. 

No wonder we are in an embargo. 

Screenshot_20190710-235253_Chrome.jpg

Yes this is correct. Why are you shocked. We have been pi#s poor for years at making money on transfers.

8 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Can we have a section dedicated to mudslinging at Chansiri?

Why is it only when things are getting a bit bumpy do these threads pop 

Dont know even know how you can try and defend the clubs business model

32 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Fully agree. Its shocked me a little that of the possibly hundreds and hundreds of players we've had here over a 10 year period that we've managed to make just £6m odd from 9 of them.  

You've got teams like Bristol City that have sold an unknown centre back for £13m alone this summer. Some lower league clubs have prospered much better with worse players than we've had to offer. 

Brentord just selling another player today for 9.5 million profit after a year. 

45 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

This can't be true can it? If so pretty much every club in the Championship and below has made more money than us in transfer fees in the last couple of seasons alone nevermind 10 years. 

No wonder we are in an embargo. 

Screenshot_20190710-235253_Chrome.jpg

Bòllox we got money for sodje and Reece wagons?

8 minutes ago, pussface said:

Rememeber when we bought Shefti Kuqi for approx £750k? Then gave him away for nothing during his best purple patch, and how Chris Turner insisted this was great business for Sheffield Wednesday?!

Kuqi and Turner fell out didn't they? 

Edited by Minton

2 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Thats been the case since the game turned professional yet clubs manage to to do it. Selling players is difficult but asking ridiculous prices makes it even harder.

What ridiculous prices though? Brentford have sold a CB with a year of championship experience for £13m, I hardly think asking £7m for Rhodes is outrageous 

Edited by Minton

Just now, sw1867 said:

I know of two local managers personally who enquired after our players and were quoted very high figures. When they gave a counter offer it was met with ‘we’ve told you the price and there is no movement’

this was both for transfers and loans.

Who were the players and what were the fees? 

I know it wasn't under DC's stewardship but we are probably responsible for the biggest cheap sale of a player in premier league history. Less than 2 million for Paulo Di Canio. You don't have to just ask West Ham fans how good he was you can ask anyone who watched premier league football during his time at Upton Park. 

Absolutely mental - we've known for years we've been sh*t with nurting or bringing players with resell value ..

Absolute dogshit mentality from the current chairman though to shove out the "we aren't a selling club" when the likes of Brentford etc continue to operate shrewdly while selling off their best assets from time to time .. but he isn't the only one. We've been like this for years now. Di Canio, Carbone, De Bilde, Sibon, Stefanovich, Kavacovic, Antonio, et al

No club can operate by stockpiling players and letting them leave for next to nothing after splashing out wages and transfer fees

Bloody rubbish!

22 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I was told in confidence and I’m not breaking that confidence. I suppose in some people’s eyes that makes what I say untrue.

its not just what I say though. Others have commented on it.

Fair enough. The what I'm trying to ascertain is was the player Reach and the bid £4m? Or was is Thorniley and the bid was £4m? One of those bids is unacceptable, the other less so. 

I don't have a problem with the chairman turning down unreasonable bids, particularly with the market as it is now, where a bang average championship player is going for £5-6m and anyone with a sniff of being premier league class is well north of £10m.

We sold Antonio for £1.8m and less than a year later he went to West Ham for £9.5m. If we did that now, the chairman would be slated non-stop

Edited by Minton

1 minute ago, sw1867 said:

Reach wasn’t one of the ones I was told about. 

It wasn’t just the values involved, it was the refusal to enter into any sort of negotiations.

I agree, we have had our pants down in the past and we should not let this happen again. The failure to move players on both in DC’s tenure and before is not sustainable.

I'm not suggesting those were the bids or the players involved, just used those as examples to illustrate my point. If a team is bidding well under the market value of a player then I wouldn't entertain them, if it's a reasonable bid for a player that we feel we can do without, I'd be more annoyed with a hard 'take it or leave it' stance.

8 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

There's definitely a balance we need to hit, but you know for a fact if we sold players left right and centre you'd all be moaning the chairman is only lining his own pockets and has no ambition. 

Depends how its done - if money was reinvested back in the play squad like Derby or Brentford then yeah it would be fine, but i know what you mean, if we sold a boat load of players and brought in freebies we'd be questioning the chairmans intelligence and motives fo show!