Who's the next manager going to be then?

28 minutes ago, Shezza said:

What’s so special about the Cowley brothers? They’re being linked to every Championship club looking for a manager. Done well in League One, obviously, but so did Chris Turner and Colin West. 

Won three promotions with their local non-league club Concord Rangers

Almost took semi-professional club Braintree into League Two

So far in a three year spell at Lincoln, they've won the Conference, won League Two, won the EFL Trophy and became the first team from the 5th tier to reach the FA Cup quarter finals in over 100 years.  Also worth bearing in mind that when they took over at Lincoln, the club had finished in the bottom half of the Conference every season since their relegation from League Two, and were not considered to be promotion, or even playoff contenders.

Edited by SquirrelSlingshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

So far in a three year spell at Lincoln, they've won the Conference, won League Two, won the EFL Trophy and became the first team from the 5th tier to reach the FA Cup quarter finals in over 100 years.  Also worth bearing in mind that when they took over at Lincoln, the club had finished in the bottom half of the Conference every season since their relegation from League Two, and were not considered to be promotion, or even playoff contenders.

That is extremely impressive, and would be an interesting choice of manager. 

There’s one big worry that neither has coached, managed or played at a higher level than League.

500k release clause. Came close to being appointed at WBA. Sounds like the name of a country band. 

Hughton, Stendal, Cowley Brothers and Arteta are my favourites at the moment. 

Complete mix of experience but people that would keep my optimism going, until we lost a few games. The worry is we appoint someone who our new/existing players aren’t that bothered about and they lose motivation to play for the club. When they signed up to play for someone else 

Hughton tried and tested but spent most of his career down South hasn’t he? Be shocked if he was up to moving up to us.

Stendel i know very little about, I’d have been keener if they hadn’t already sold off Crown Jewels as I’d expect he could have taken the one or two from there. 

Cowley’s I know even less about, but the post a few before this seems very impressive. 

Hurst looked a decent option a manager or two back before taking Ipswich, which was a stupid first attempt at this level. Wednesday fan, younger less porcine, better looking Wilder. 

Other big names that are out of work such as Giovanni Van Bronckhorst who apparently is keen on move to UK and wanted Newcastle job. Moyes who I think had a raw deal at United and did a similar job to Jose and LVG despite spending a hundred million or so less. Holloway  desperate to get new job, even wants cluster duck that is Birmingham. 

Plenty out of work or that would require far less in compensation than Bruce. For me Giovanni is the man (if we could tempt him). Did well in Holland, plays attractive 433 football that I think would suit our players. 

13 hours ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

It is an impressive record and a bigger club is going to take a chance on them some time. I think if they are found out it would be at PL level where you have to deal with a different level of egos and they have not been exposed to that before. Swansea took a chance on a manager last year and in circumstances he did very well. I think there are lots of good potential English managers who no longer get a chance with the better clubs where they could achieve something. In recent years too many non descript foreign coaches have been brought into English game and I hope exit from EU means those who have achieved little before setting foot in England are not given a work permit. It will give potential English managers more of a chance.