Who's the next manager going to be then?

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Why gamble? 

We have Bullen at the club who can continue the work Bruce started.  Get a coach in alongside Bully and see how we go. Worst case scenario is we are bottom 3 after say 15 games.  If so, then spend the dosh to get another manager in. Whoever is in charge there is virtually no chance of going up or down - we are a solid mid table team, as we have been for 2 years.

Personally hope we don’t give it to Bullen on a permanent basis. Sure let him take training until the new man comes in but nothing more. We have a decent squad, with a few more additions and the right manager (as Bruce was) we could challenge for a top 6 spot next season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Why gamble? 

We have Bullen at the club who can continue the work Bruce started.  Get a coach in alongside Bully and see how we go. Worst case scenario is we are bottom 3 after say 15 games.  If so, then spend the dosh to get another manager in. Whoever is in charge there is virtually no chance of going up or down - we are a solid mid table team, as we have been for 2 years.

Unless we can come up with an outstanding candidate, who can work with what we have, then yes, I’d give Bullen the opportunity to start the season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Why gamble? 

Then my view to that would be to build for the future long term patiently with Bullen or someone similar or go out and get one of the younger EFL managers on the rise, making their names for themselves before some other club in the top two tiers snaps them up.

Guest wilyfox

Whoever it turns out to be, needs to be done quickly. Needs to assess what we have and what he wants, then recruit. 4 weeks to do it all. Make hast Mr.C. I bet he's absolutely hating this. 

3 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Because while we all love Bullen for his commitment, he's never shown an ounce of managerial ability.

We actually have a pretty solid squad across the board. Should make the playoffs as is, but with an addition or two could be right up there. Why on earth would we squander that by putting someone in who has basically no experience and has never looked like they could do the job full time.

Bullen made a massive improvement in performances and results last season before fatty iscariot came back from holiday. 

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Then my view to that would be to build for the future long term patiently with Bullen or someone similar or go out and get one of the younger EFL managers on the rise, making their names for themselves before some other club in the top two tiers snaps them up.

Like who? Would going back for Paul Hirst, who failed miserably in the Championship with Ipswich, be worth a look? He was one of the most promising young EFL managers, until he got burnt at Ipswich

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Unless we can come up with an outstanding candidate, who can work with what we have, then yes, I’d give Bullen the opportunity to start the season

I think experience wise Hughton, Jokanovic or Cook could, and up and coming wise the likes of Neil, Stendel and the Cowley Brothers possibly could too? There are suitable candidates out there, out of work and in jobs. Depends to me what route we will go down. There are positives and risks with all types of appointments. Short term experience could be exactly what we need but longer term I think a younger EFL manager on the rise might be the best option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Like who? Would going back for Paul Hirst, who failed miserably in the Championship with Ipswich, be worth a look? He was one of the most promising young EFL managers, until he got burnt at Ipswich

I've already given my preferred choices numerous times. If not a sensible short term proven out of work appointment like Hughton or currently in a job Jokanovic or Cook, then a more forward thinking longer term approach with the likes of Alex Neil, Daniel Stendel or the Cowley Brothers. Personally my preferred route out of those would be the longer term approach. But either of those routes could work.

3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

I think experience wise Hughton, Jokanovic or Cook could, and up and coming wise the likes of Neil, Stendel and the Cowley Brothers possibly could too? There are suitable candidates out there, out of work and in jobs. Depends to me what route we will go down. There are positives and risks with all types of appointments. Short term experience could be exactly what we need but longer term I think a younger EFL manager on the rise might be the best option.

Not adverse to a younger manager at all They probably wouldn’t have the contacts in the game, that Bruce had, but he’s hardly signed anyone of any real significance. Steady players yes, but not likely to elevate us to another level, or to put millions on their value. The best player we’ve signed in recent years, was Hector, and he was signed by Jos, or the recruitment team With a recruitment team overseeing transfers, yes it’s entirely possible that we could appoint an up and coming younger manager

16 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Jokanovic is managing Al-Gharafa in Qatar now, his wages will be astronomical, no way we could offer him anything like what he's on now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not adverse to a younger manager at all They probably wouldn’t have the contacts in the game, that Bruce had, but he’s hardly signed anyone of any real significance. Steady players yes, but not likely to elevate us to another level, or to put millions on their value. The best player we’ve signed in recent years, was Hector, and he was signed by Jos, or the recruitment team With a recruitment team overseeing transfers, yes it’s entirely possible that we could appoint an up and coming younger manager

Like I said, once Bruce goes, I wouldn't blame DC for feeling frustrated. That could end up being a good thing or a bad thing. Bad, if he acts rash or goes back to hiring obscure cheap options. Or a good thing, if it makes him more determined to do things smartly and longer term by being more astute from now on, letting whoever is in charge to wheel and deal, and by bringing in a up and coming younger EFL manager on the rise to freshen things up and to build properly over time by producing and/or selling players and recruiting wisely.

33 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If he can divorce himself from his old position..and the players accept that... I could warm to this idea..

8 minutes ago, Minton said:

Jokanovic is managing Al-Gharafa in Qatar now, his wages will be astronomical, no way we could offer him anything like what he's on now.

Thanks for that. Narrows my list down. Mentioned him because of his proven Championship record and previous  links. My shortlist would now be proven experience Hughton; experience Cook or EFL managers on the rise Alex Neil, Daniel Stendel or the Cowley Brothers. With the last three my preferred route if we can't get Hughton or not interested.

Edited by The Night-Owl