Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Was just Brazil and the odds bloke form the bookies talking about Bruce's odds shortening from 20/1 to 6/4 in the space of a day.

Saying it suggests there is something in it, like he is on their list.

To me it suggests that people have put money on him, nothing more nothing less.

52 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Signed a new contract with United yesterday, so can't see that happening! lol

Since when did being under contract mean anything in football, especially for managers? By that rationale, Steve Bruce signed a contract with us just a few months ago so I can't see that happening!

I remember Sturrock being given a long new contract and then sacked a couple of weeks later...

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Since when did being under contract mean anything in football, especially for managers? By that rationale, Steve Bruce signed a contract with us just a few months ago so I can't see that happening!

I remember Sturrock being given a long new contract and then sacked a couple of weeks later...

Especially when at least one of the "potential owners" would prefer to see Wilder leave and the compensation in the bank (or so it would seem from outside).

10 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

So does @Quist but he's keeping his powder dry. 

garymegson

I honestly think SB would be tempted by home town club. However the owner has proved a nightmare for managers at the club and Benitez defied gravity last year to get Newcastle as high in league as they were. he was the only owner to take money out of a Premier league club in previous 12 months and this was instead of investing in team. Benitez obviously did not get assurances he was looking for and decided to walk. I think anybody who has a current contract would need head examining to go and work at this club currently. After Benitez was lauded for his efforts by many it looks to me like a job to avoid. loads have been linked with job and one by one they drift away and this is down to Chairman. Bruce has his head screwed on right way and he will know pitfalls of the job. he has walked away from clubs before when what has been promised has not been delivered and going to a club with a Chairman who has iffy reputation does not sound his type of move.

21 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

If Ashley offers good wages, any manager would be there like a shot.

They go where the cash is.

Whomever takes the Newcastle job will be on a hiding to nothing more than the sack, a relagation or both on thier cv. 

Rafa has done a really excellent job of keeping them up and the fans love him.

Unless Ashley gives the new man a load of cash to spend, their serious relagation fodder. 

This almost certainly won't happen but for the sake of our club and  togetherness and confidence going forward  I'd like Bruce to not say first I've heard of it etc   I'd like a definitive not interested got a great job here they've welcomed me given me time to grieve etc etc.. As i said won't happen but i'd like to hear it

I'd love just once for us to have a  solid pre season not dogged by fecking umbongos and out for season tripped over a daisy on the training ground stories  for once go into a season with a bit of  anticipation and excitement that we're going to hit the ground running 

Just been reading some of the comments from Benitez about the job etc. Anyone taking the job really would have to be mad or a massive Newcastle fan. In Rafa’s latest post he says he has had more meetings with the chairman so far in China than he had for 3 years at Newcastle. 

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Just been reading some of the comments from Benitez about the job etc. Anyone taking the job really would have to be mad or a massive Newcastle fan. In Rafa’s latest post he says he has had more meetings with the chairman so far in China than he had for 3 years at Newcastle. 

Aye, no doubt round a banqueting table sinking baijiu and shouting "ganbei". :ph34r:

48 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Anyone know what aired on talksport this morning?

They were talking cricket, (had Lamby on the phone) mentioned Steve Bruce was favourite for Newcastle job but also that Steve Harmison was an outsider in the market.  Just nonsense chit chat really, hopefully the Bruce rumours will also turn out to be just that.

2 minutes ago, Pilky said:

They were talking cricket, (had Lamby on the phone) mentioned Steve Bruce was favourite for Newcastle job but also that Steve Harmison was an outsider in the market.  Just nonsense chit chat really, hopefully the Bruce rumours will also turn out to be just that.

I met Steve Harmison at a game between Knaresborough and North or South Shields (I forget which), as his brother Ben was playing and he was, at the time, banned from attending Ashington matches after some sort of fracas whilst he was managing there. He did not want to talk about cricket at all, but talked so much about football that we were trying to get away from him in the end. Nice bloke, about as suitable to manage a PL club as Wincey Willis.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rogers said:

I think managers these days probably don’t mind how long they are in a job, they know they’ll get sacked eventually. 

Managers only sign contracts if they get over a million if sacked whilst under contract. 

Most contracts have a clause allowing the parties to go their own way if one years wages is paid (sometimes 6 months. Even when it's say a 3 year contract you can get out of it by paying up 1 year.

Obviously all contracts are individual so there is no hard a fast rule.