Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

14 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think its a load of bullcrap

But if he did go, I'm not worried

Get enough compo to help with FFP and go for Gary Monk

Well I'd be worried if Bruce left.  Bruce is exactly the type of manager you need to get promoted out of the Championship.  We cannot afford to lose him, certainly not at this stage of pre-season.

Monk would be a poor appointment:

Sacked at Swansea, despite the goodwill of the fans for being a club legend and despite managing a club with relatively low expectations. 

Bottled it at Leeds when they should have been a shoe-in to finish in the playoffs in 16/17.

Sacked at Middlesbrough mid-season.  Had been pre-season favourites for promotion that year.  Monk left them 19 points behind the league-leaders in December.

Also sacked at Birmingham.  Took 24 points from his last 22 league games (obviously not including the 12 point deduction).

7 home wins in the league last season.

Recent allegations by his ex-clubs in relation to signings.  Could have legal repercussions that.

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Whoever does go there, will probably not be there long, they will probably be just a stop gap option and a short term appointment. Due to Ashley and their fanbase, whether they sell up or not.

I think managers these days probably don’t mind how long they are in a job, they know they’ll get sacked eventually. 

Managers only sign contracts if they get over a million if sacked whilst under contract. 

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

FFS. I dreamt about Steve Bruce last night (nothing kinky). 

I dreamt about Gary Banister and Charlie Williamson (it was kinky)

Any betting list that has Ant & Dec and Paul Gascoigne to be manager can't be taken seriously.

16 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

FFS. I dreamt about Steve Bruce last night (nothing kinky). 

I did aswell!! 

He was telling me over breakfast that he was sorry but it was an offer he couldn’t refuse!

My dreams have changed so much from what they used to be 30 years ago!!

• Haha 1

Guest mkowl
36 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Outside Lane of A1 north closed outside Gateshead

Man walking dog. …

Bruce had better sign or the dog will be well annoyed at having to walk back as well 

3 minutes ago, marshy said:

He could have there and then killed it stone dead. He didn't. Imho if approached he's gone. 

Get on the blower DC to Houghton. 

Agree. If he’s offered he will go imo. Unfortunately with him being a local lad etc it will prove to hard to turn down, even with him having to work with Ashley. This will be the last time he gets the chance to manage them and imo he would have massive regrets if he didn’t. Personally will be absolutely gutted if we lose him though. God knows who DC would turn too next. 

2 minutes ago, marshy said:

He could have there and then killed it stone dead. He didn't. Imho if approached he's gone. 

He's not been approached. It's just bookies odds and speculation upon those odds. If Bruce does go, why do people think we would get Houghton or anyone decent? With not long till the season starts, uncertainty over P&S/soft embargo and a refusal or reluctance to sell players?

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Agree. If he’s offered he will go imo. Unfortunately with him being a local lad etc it will prove to hard to turn down, even with him having to work with Ashley. This will be the last time he gets the chance to manage them and imo he would have massive regrets if he didn’t. Personally will be absolutely gutted if we lose him though. God knows who DC would turn too next. 

Chris Hughton

He's the only one with similar pedigree in this division to Bruce that's available.

Think Bruce will know the hatred that the fans are spewing towards him. Reach is a Newcastle fan too so he'll know too and he'll tell him.

At his age and what's hes just been through I reckon he'll just want a quite life and a job where the fans respect and like him. Only one of us and Newcastle will give him that, and it's not up on the Tyne.

8 minutes ago, marshy said:

I thought this. The question should have been put to him “if you are approached would you be interested?”. Then see if we got a yes or a no? He simply asked about the Newcastle link and that kind of let Bruce fob it off as he knows nothing, not that he has no interest. 

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

It would be catastrophic for our season would become a write off, just like last season was before Jos left. In our situation we could instantly rule out any hopes of bringing in any decent replacements because they simply wouldn't come and we wouldn't be able to afford them. We have to stay within P&S and restructuring again would cost. I highly doubt we'd be able to get someone as proven as Bruce again, we were lucky we got him when we did.